Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/08/2015, 04:36 AM   #1
pch90265
Premium Member

Elos 160XL Build

Hi All,

After many years out of the hobby, my wife and I are moving to Moscow, Russia, where there is actually quite an active Reef Keeping community. As we will be there 3-5 years, we decided not to go with something crazy and custom like we have done twice in the past. Instead, we are now proud owners of an Elos 160XL (200G) tank, which I think fits beautifully in my office.

Getting this baby purchased and dropped off was the easy part... waiting for all of our household goods to arrive from the USA (which includes my lights, AquaC Skimmer, VorTech's, Apex controller, and other goodies for the tank) is tough! However, I thought I'd get a thread up and running to scratch the itch to be back on the R/C boards.

Yet to arrive from local sources... podium (we are lifting the tank + stand 20 cm, ~8", to place it at a more appropriate eye-level), sump (custom sump, I think the included sump is a bit smallish even for a scaled down system), RO/DI, and plumbing parts.

Will post more updates, thoughts on the Elos, and schematics for the system over the coming days.

Target is to have the tank filled with Live Rock/Sand by August 1st... we'll see how well that goes.

pch90265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2015, 05:02 AM   #2
dave.m
Registered Member

What sort of electrical power supply do they have in Moscow? I imagine the plugs are quite different, but is it AC or DC, and how many volts? Just curious, as I'm thinking you'll probably have to put all sorts of converters in front of all that North American-centric gear.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2015, 09:18 AM   #3
pch90265
Premium Member

Hey Dave -- 220V AC, on standard European, 2-prong round + ground on the perimeter outlets.

Most stuff should run just fine on 220V (Vortech's, AI Hydra's, etc) as the power supplies are 100-240V. Which is not to say I won't put line conditioners in front of them, because I will... and, I will also be bringing spare power bricks over to boot! I'll be locally sourcing heating/cooling -- which are the biggest power hogs in this set-up.

My Iwaki pumps and Apex will all sit in front of a hefty 15A transformer... I have several that have been very reliable for continuous duty over the four years in Saudi Arabia we are just concluding, and I always keep a spare on-hand.

Last, but not least, I'll also be running a handy-dandy APC battery-based UPS between the line conditioner and my VorTechs, along with outage detection.

Unread 06/08/2015, 09:52 AM   #4
dg3147
Registered Member

I have the same tank (with a couple mods)...following along.

Home page:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23482778#post23482778
dg3147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2015, 09:44 PM   #5
SPS_77493
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Elos 160XL better than any custom tank. It's a beauty.

SPS_77493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2015, 12:40 AM   #6
dg3147
Registered Member

updates on the build?

Home page:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23482778#post23482778
dg3147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2015, 10:05 AM   #7
pch90265
Premium Member

Thanks for the prompt DG! I was away all of last week packing our stuff from our previous assignment to ship it (and our dog) to Moscow, so not much progress. I am happy to report my sump and the podium for it are nearly finished.

Here are some views of my system plan:

Layout_1

Layout_2

Layout_3

I'm planning a two pump return manifold, which you can see on the right of these shots. I will run a pair of Iwaki MD40's plumbed together so I have a spare pump ready to run in case the primary fails. I would run them both together, but the Elos is only plumbed for a ~1000 GPH drain line (probably the only thing I really question about the tank so far, if I'm honest) Not worried about flow since I will have two VorTechs in the tank, but would like a bit better turn-over to the sump.

The sump is a custom 90 cm long, 60 cm wide, 45 cm tall (roughly 36" x 24" x 18") acrylic tank with a 5 cm (2") flange, four baffles, four outlets, and a skimmer stand to raise my AquaC 240 up 6 cm (~2"). Returns fed from the "south end" of the baffle array, skimmer fed from the "north end" where the drain comes through the wall and empties in to the sump. The spare outlet from the sump is there for expansion, and as a drain for water changes.

In the bottom pic you can see the stand I'll have built for my fuge and Quarantine Tank. I am going to use the sump that came with the Elos as a QT, along with the skimmer that came with it. You might be able to pick out a "T" in the return line just before it makes a 90 toward the tank to run through the wall between the tank and the sump... that line will feed the fuge and have an outlet above the waterline of the QT to allow me to fill it from the main tank.

All of my stuff from the US arrives next week, so I'm hoping to be plumbing weekend after this one...

Unread 06/15/2015, 10:32 AM   #8
jeromeit
Registered Member

Beautiful draw up! Looking good! Subscribed

jeromeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2015, 01:21 PM   #9
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Pretty tank

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2015, 10:38 AM   #10
this is me
Registered Member

Looks great. I have the exact tank with the Weinge doors.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2015, 11:14 PM   #11
BigJohnny
Registered Member

Awesome tank, how much do they run and what does it come with?

BigJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2015, 11:12 PM   #12
pch90265
Premium Member

@Nick (this is me) ... your tank was definitely one I looked at before I took the plunge!

@ BigJohnny ... as they say "your mileage may vary"... comparing what I paid to the US prices I see in online stores, I would say I got about a 30% discount because of the favorable exchange rate between the US Dollar and the Russian Ruble.

The standard package is tank (either regular glass, or low-iron/starfire glass; mine is starfire all four sides), stand, sump that fits inside one-half of the stand, Siecce return pump, Elos skimmer w/pump, plumbing for all of the above, fan kit to vent the stand (if you put the sump in there), and a few other bits and bobs.

Having purchased other "custom" tanks in the past, I would say it is a little on the pricey side, but not more than say a LeeMar tank. Also, Elos have a really solid reputation for a quality build. It was absolutely the best tank for sale in Russia outside of a custom acrylic (and I have sworn off acrylic). Lights are an optional extra -- I am going to be running higher-output LEDs than the Elos option, but they do have a nice glass and aluminum LED hood that looks awesome if you are doing an LPS or FOWLR tank.

Unread 06/19/2015, 01:59 AM   #13
swissbutcher
Registered Member

Nice setup!!

Keep in touch!

Cheers!

Martin

Martin

Current Tank Info: Dropoff Tank acryl
swissbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 06:13 AM   #14
Aleks677
Registered Member

Hi! We will follow the development of construction!

Aleks677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2015, 12:14 PM   #15
pch90265
Premium Member

Finally, my podium was delivered tonight! The crew of four that was promised turned out to be a crew of two, but we managed to get the tank off its stand, get the stand moved and drilled, and then get the stand & tank sequentially up on the podium. Thank God for Naproxen. ;-)

Tank is raised exactly 20 cm, as requested, putting the rim of the tank 167.5 cm (66") off from the floor. That puts it just a touch under my eye level, so I can still look down into it, but will be staring straight into it when I turn around to check on it when I am sitting at my desk.

The podium itself is made of rectangular steel rods sandwiched between two treated plywood decks, and is really welded nicely. I did not have them cap the ends because I will skin it before too long with a little white laminate on the ends that will match the stand, and with wenge on the front edge to match the doors.

The Elos stand itself has an open bottom. The deck on the top of the stand gives me a nice flat storage area that is not in direct contact with the parquet floors. This will be really handy for storing little stuff for the tank on the half of the stand with the plumbing, and for storage for things for other hobbies of mine on the empty half.

As you can see, I did use a hole saw to put a 63 mm and 44 mm hole in the stand. I tried to leave a really gentle bend in the drain line to minimize noise. I will put a reverse durso in the sump, but still thought a smooth flowing line would be best. I think next time I'm in the US I'll pick up a run of spa-flex to replace the corrugated drain line that came with the tank. I think that will probably reduce drain noise in my office even further.

While the tank was off the stand I got holes I had pre-planned drilled in the both faces of the wall, as well. Shockingly (for my carpentry skills) the holes in the wall and the holes in the tank lined up exactly where I wanted them! I did not want the tank flush with the corner of the wall behind it on the edge nearest the room for two reasons... 1) the door to the garage swings in to the office, and I could just picture the metal handle smacking in to the tank, and 2) I didn't want the VorTech on that side sticking out past the corner of the wall.

I have plenty of room on the right side of the tank for pumps and plumbing, and on the left side of the tank for the QT and fuge. I'll probably hang peg-board or shelves off the wall above the sump to maximize the use of that wall-space.

The grey foam matches the outline of the custom sump that is on order ("should be next week" said the builder today.) I am probably going to start cycling the tank using the Elos sump/pump/skimmer, because if the delivery of the podium is any indicator, my sump is actually more like 3-4 weeks from being ready.

The new sump won't be that much bigger in volume than the Elos sump, but I think it will be a much better layout, and it allows me to use external pumps which has always been my preference.

This weekend will be cleaning, organizing, installing my RO/DI, and making ready to receive a 20' container of stuff on Tuesday... hopefully I'll be able to make enough progress unpacking the rest of the house that next weekend I can hang lights, setup my Apex, and fill the tank . . .

Unread 06/19/2015, 12:23 PM   #16
pch90265
Premium Member

@ swissbutcher ... I will keep in touch!

@ Aleks677 ... Здравствуйте! Очень приятно!

Nice to have you both along for the ride!

Unread 06/23/2015, 09:27 AM   #17
pch90265
Premium Member

Woooo whoo! Toys!!!

My shipment of household goods from the US arrived today, on schedule. The movers were extremely efficient in unpacking me, and now I am left with piles of stuff to put away instead of piles of boxes (a blessing and a curse)... they call it "nearest flat surface" service... now I know why.

Good news, literally everything seems to have arrived completely intact. The treasure trove of course is this grouping of stuff:

I have lots of other things to do tactically before I can focus on the tank this weekend, but it does give me motivation to get through those things knowing I have most of what I need to get set up waiting for me on Saturday...

In the mean time, this is a shot of one of the many, many display tanks at "Ocean Aquarium" [Морской Аквариум] in central Moscow, where I bought my tank. It is MASSIVE at roughly 30 feet wide.

Back at you with more updates soon, I hope!!!

Unread 06/26/2015, 03:53 AM   #18
pch90265
Premium Member

The temporary plumbing is connected to the pump/skimmer/sump that came with the Elos now, and the RO/DI is cranking away...

Should be full tomorrow -- salt mix and live sand are on their way Saturday, along with my custom sump. Sadly, the new sump will be 2-3 more weeks before it is installed and running, because quality PVC fittings are hard to find here. Everything had to be ordered from the EU, and will take some time to get here. All good though... live rock can cycle on the "base configuration" of the system without issues. Going to go pick up rock Saturday night or Sunday morning, and will get the lights installed on a temporary rig over the weekend too.

220V-to-110V step-down transformers should arrive today, so I can get my Apex up and running too!

Slowly but surely... like everything here in the Motherland... it is coming together.

Unread 06/27/2015, 07:12 AM   #19
pch90265
Premium Member

Water is just about ready to start recirculating... Vortechs are pushing salt around the tank... live sand has arrived and will be added to the tank tomorrow morning... and live rock arrives tomorrow afternoon!

Starting to actually look like there will be a reef tank in my house soon!

Vortech_MP60_waves

The video above was just a quick test of the "short pulse" mode on the two MP60's... they are not yet in slave/master. They were set for a 3-4 second pulse, on 50% output max. NICE movement. Roughly 5 cm peak to trough. Don't know if that is sustainable once the water is at its recirculating level, but really cool to see how much water those baby's push!!!

Unread 06/27/2015, 10:51 PM   #20
pch90265
Premium Member

More updates on yesterday...

I received the custom sump. I was a bit disappointed that they used thinner acrylic than I had requested (5 mm vs 8-10 mm), however I am impressed that the vertical part of the sump is entirely built from one piece of acrylic. They rounded 3 of the corners, and annealed the entire sump in an oven. I've seen a number of threads about tanks that have blown out from not being annealed over the year, so at least that is something. And, the guys warranty their work for 10 years, which give piece of mind there too.

I brought with me from the US some acrylic stands that I had made for the QT of my last tank. One of them fits perfectly under the AquaC skimmer, so I have the option to run it elevated (as above,) or just sitting on the stand I had built into the skimmer. I'll probably start with "Option B" and see how things go.

After dinner with some colleagues last night I was inspired to get my light rack made up. I will have a much nicer rack made eventually, but for now wanted something functional and efficient. I used extruded aluminum "L" angle bars and co-opted the mounting kits from my AI's. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it will get the job done!

And, finally, I got the salt mixed, water flowing, and live sand added to the tank. This shot came right after adding the sand, murky -- as expected. It's cleared a good bit this morning, and I have re-started the VorTechs to hopefully clear things up a bit more by this afternoon when I return with Live Rock. :-)

Unread 06/28/2015, 12:22 AM   #21
swissbutcher
Registered Member

Looks very good!!!

Martin

Current Tank Info: Dropoff Tank acryl
swissbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2015, 11:23 AM   #22
pch90265
Premium Member

What a difference a day (or two) makes!

Got the rock in the tank and the skimmer fired up. More pics later, but here is a shot from last night:

And now, 24 hours later... water is looking very clean! I need to get the inside of the glass "dusted off" from the sand that clung to it, but it is looking very good in there.

Two notes: 1) That is the lights running at 10% power, wow the Hydra 52's are bright!!! 2) I have do NO aquascaping whatsoever... just put the rock in there so as not to have a landslide that would take out a panel of glass . . . aquascaping will come later in the week.

:-D

Unread 06/29/2015, 12:16 PM   #23
BigJohnny
Registered Member

What kind of sand did you use for your DSB?

BigJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 08:54 AM   #24
pch90265
Premium Member

@BigJohnny... the only game in town [that I have found] is "Nature's Ocean" ... I'm using the small grain white sand.

Unread 07/01/2015, 09:28 AM   #25
MBC2012
life gets better daily

Beautiful tank. The low flow through tank was a question for me as well. Had the same tank up til a few weeks ago. Front seam failed and came home to about 80 gallons of water in my basement. Make sure you have a plan. Thats all i can suggest. I wondered if Elos did euro bracing if it would have helped the integrity of their seams. GL

MBC2012 is offline   Reply With Quote