Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2019, 10:11 PM   #1
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

Clown time out

I have a mated pair of Ocellaris clownfish that have been living the life solo in my 180 since I lost the 8 other fish in a hurricane last October. I’ve finally got two healthy 2” blue tangs through quarantine and added them to the DT but the female is relentless with her attacks and will hunt for them all day. I had enough of it so into the sump she went. How long should I keep her in time out to cool her jets? Will replacing her have to be an option?

Thanks.

Unread 02/26/2019, 11:26 PM   #2
aaronpentz
Registered Member

You could try hanging a mirror outside the tank pointed in

Otherwise I've always had to re-work some rock work to get it to stop. Gotta make them think they are in new territory.

Other things I've done was to get a breeder box. Place it in the main display, this segregates both clowns while they are getting used to the new additions.

You should move both clowns as you might have to re-pair if they are separate too long

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2019, 04:19 PM   #3
LowHangingFruit
Registered Member

Moving rock around isn’t a option due to coral. How long can a pair be apart before it becomes a issue?

Unread 02/28/2019, 02:34 PM   #4
humphreyhh
Registered Member

I agree. Move both together to keep the bond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2019, 11:37 PM   #5
Bary
Registered Member

Same issue. Have moved the aggressive pair twice but yet they insist on being tank bullies. Best solution for me will ultimately be a dedicated environment or a completely new home in a more aggressive setting.

Bary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2019, 11:49 PM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Clownfish have a good memory and will remember their old territory for 6 months (scientifically proven in field experiments), likely much more. And not just territory, but also their partners and old enemies.
I had an ocellaris pair and especially the female was constantly attacked by a young clown tang. I had them separated for several years but at one point I had to reunite them in a different, much larger tank. The female must have recognized her old enemy because she attacked and killed him instantly. She didn't do anything to other fish I added.
So you may need to relocate the clowns permanently to another tank, part ways with them, or pick tank mates they get along with.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote