Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2019, 05:38 AM   #1
necessary_evil
Registered Member

Best live rock substitute? Life Rock by Carib Sea or Reef Rock 2.1?

Looking for reviews based on durability, any leaching issues, cycling etc?

Im not worried about lack of porousness, have other approaches for that

necessary_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 06:52 AM   #2
sp4zzy
Registered Member

Haven't used either myself, but a good friend of mine swears by the Caribsea stuff. He's had a 125g set up with it for a few years now without too much trouble.

sp4zzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Since you're located very close to Tampa I would contact Richard at tbsaltwater.com
It will cost you as much as the stuff you mentioned but be about 1000xs better

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 08:15 AM   #4
necessary_evil
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
Since you're located very close to Tampa I would contact Richard at tbsaltwater.com
It will cost you as much as the stuff you mentioned but be about 1000xs better
What is it? I dont see anything but plain dry rock?

Last edited by necessary_evil; 03/20/2019 at 08:50 AM.
necessary_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by necessary_evil View Post
What is it?
He has Pukani and I believe another kind of rock that was purchased as dry but he leases a spot in the ocean a few miles off shore and puts the rock there to become live and covered in creatures. Best stuff I have ever seen or purchased.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 03/20/2019, 10:46 AM   #6
jgraz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necessary_evil View Post
Looking for reviews based on durability, any leaching issues, cycling etc?

Im not worried about lack of porousness, have other approaches for that
If your looking for dry rock, hit Amazon.
Search for live rock and ot will turn up a few things including those you mentioned above. Also included will be rock from Natures Ocean and another from Worldwide imports.
Both are exactly the same as BRS reef saver and Marco rocks. At 1/2 the price. I just purchased it for my system and have used it several times in other systems..
Below are a few pics of what you can expect.
Its completely free of organic matter and perfectly clean as is, but a pressure rinse and a vinegar bath really opens up the pores and holes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 10:50 AM   #7
jgraz
Registered Member

Quote:
He has Pukani and I believe another kind of rock that was purchased as dry but he leases a spot in the ocean a few miles off shore and puts the rock there to become live and covered in creatures. Best stuff I have ever seen or purchased.
It is nice stuff, but after sitting in the ocean for a while the price goes up dramatically. If your looking for hitchhikers it's a good way to go but you can end up with bad just as well as good.

It starts life a dry rock and is the same as BRS Reefsaver.

Unread 03/20/2019, 11:35 AM   #8
RioReefr
Registered Member

I have no personal experience with these guys, but they were recommended to me and they are based in Miami so your shipping costs might be low.

Pristine Rock

https://pristinerock.com/shop/custom-rockscape/

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 12:15 PM   #9
FireViper
Registered Member

Thought about DIY? As a fun project over the holidays, my daughter and I made a half a tank full out of cement, sand and crushed aragonite. Fun shapes and large holes. A lengthy process, but great fun.

The fish seem to like them as well, plenty of large hiding places for them and the critters.

FireViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraz View Post
It is nice stuff, but after sitting in the ocean for a while the price goes up dramatically. If your looking for hitchhikers it's a good way to go but you can end up with bad just as well as good.

It starts life a dry rock and is the same as BRS Reefsaver.

It’s $5 per lb from Richard so that’s cheaper and 1000xs better and there are plenty of ways to deal with hitch hikers good and bad. I don’t consider “liverock” something with coralline algae on it.

Unread 03/20/2019, 12:47 PM   #11
jgraz
Registered Member

Quote:
It’s $5 per lb from Richard so that’s cheaper and 1000xs better and there are plenty of ways to deal with hitch hikers good and bad. I don’t consider “liverock” something with coralline algae on it.
Cheaper then what?

The rock I mentioned is a little over $1 per pound, and is comparable to the rock that the OP was considering.
As for insinuating I dont know what live rock is I can assure you I do.

Unread 03/21/2019, 10:03 AM   #12
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraz View Post
Cheaper then what?

The rock I mentioned is a little over $1 per pound, and is comparable to the rock that the OP was considering.
As for insinuating I dont know what live rock is I can assure you I do.

Than most of what BRS sells. The OP mentioned Real Reef rock and that is nothing more than coralline algae, no one insinuated that you didn't know what Live rock is.