Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2021, 07:39 AM   #51
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Currently in the process of getting the fish use to the fish trap. In the mean time I have my algae scrubber finally setup so I can lower the phosphates down to an acceptable level.

Shipments for the QT arrive this week and hoping to catch all fish shortly after.

Heading up to LFS this weekend to grab some bacteria to cycle the tank. Have a Fluval 407 canister filter I am putting on the 72 gallon since it’s going to be a heavy bio load.

PS I love my messy sump you won’t change my mind!

PaulieReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2021, 07:37 PM   #52
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Well the 72g QT tank is setup, going to let it run for a couple days and slowly move fish over as I got them. I know you are normally suppose to do bare bottom, but I have 2 gobies coming into the QT as well (if I can catch the buggers), so added a bag of sand.

Added 2 rocks from my display tank, although not suggested in some forum posts I found, I needed the extra bacteria to support such a heavy fish load.

As of right now, assuming every fish survives the next couple of days, the QT will have 4 tangs (yellow, hippo, powder brown), 2 clown fish, 2 anthias, 2 gobys, lawnmower blenny, sixline wrasse.

Only things remaining in the tank are all inverts including 2x fighting conche, 3x cleaner shrimp and obviously 100s of clean up crew.

Plan is 76 day fallow, will most likely extend that to 90 days just to be extra safe.

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:27 PM   #53
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'd be more concerned with the rocks bringing illness into your QT. You've got plenty of surface area already with the sand, filter and pvc. Just test for ammonia every few days and change water as needed.

I don't know your situation fully, so forgive me if I'm mistaken. Macro algae is a great ammonia sponge, so consider adding some to your QT. Oh yeah, there are ammonia neutralizers in a bottle as well.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2021, 09:29 PM   #54
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I'd be more concerned with the rocks bringing illness into your QT. You've got plenty of surface area already with the sand, filter and pvc. Just test for ammonia every few days and change water as needed.

I don't know your situation fully, so forgive me if I'm mistaken. Macro algae is a great ammonia sponge, so consider adding some to your QT. Oh yeah, there are ammonia neutralizers in a bottle as well.

Most ammonia neutralizers turn copper deadly. So can’t use them. expecting to do a lot of water changes to happen over the next few months.

As far as illness from the rock, I am doing QT for Ich and velvet so the illness is already there.

Taking every fish out of my display to out into QT. If the fish have it the rock prolly does too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:36 PM   #55
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I had a feeling I'd missed something. Best of luck.

Another thought: Would it be easier to remove the inverts and treat the fish in the display?

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:37 PM   #56
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I had a feeling I'd missed something. Best of luck.

Another thought: Would it be easier to remove the inverts and treat the fish in the display?

Once you put copper in your DT it’s near impossible to get it out.

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:43 PM   #57
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Hypo salinity works great for ICK, but I don't think it works for velvet. It also has the advantage of lowering the 'work' of osmoregulation, saving the fish energy to fight disease. Are you sure they have velvet? Usually that kills very quickly.

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:44 PM   #58
PaulieReef
Registered Member

100%

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:53 PM   #59
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Oh man. That looks bad. Found this on google: "How do you treat velvet in saltwater fish?
Treatment options – Chloroquine phosphate is the treatment of choice for velvet, but copper also works if symptoms are caught early on. These also work on ich, so if in doubt treating with CP or copper will have you covered both ways."

Could you treat with Chloroquine phosphate in the display?

Unread 01/08/2021, 09:54 PM   #60
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Unless you have Chloroquine phosphate on hand now, I'd stick with your plan. Catching fish is so stressful, I was hoping to help you avoid that.

Unread 01/11/2021, 09:58 AM   #61
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Well this happened today. It was already broken. We bought it used knowing it was broken. However, the previous “fix” was superglue and silicone. Lasted awhile until it didn’t.

Switching how I am trying to fix it this time.

Using superglue to hold it in place in four spots

Taped off to hold epoxy in place

Let’s see if it works. Updates tomorrow or later today if it breaks.

If this doesn’t work going to order weld-on 16.

Unread 01/16/2021, 11:13 AM   #62
PaulieReef
Registered Member

Protein skimmer part worked with the epoxy! Super happy about it, saved a few hundred bucks!

6 Fish caught, 6 left (Hippo, 2x Anthias, Blenny, 2x Gobys).