Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2009, 08:09 PM   #76
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by strendo
Your setup is really nice! I'm thinking of installing solar tubes too. My tank is half under a skylight already though, do you think a solar tube would make a big difference?
Probably, the nice thing about the tube is that they are as reflective as a mirror and the channel the light directly to the tank. A skylight spreads it out over the room.

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
jdhuyvetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 08:11 PM   #77
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cornhusker85
Looking nice man If you need any help finishing the frame give me a shout Ill come over and help you.
Hey, you don't live in CC anymore. You are now an official LA redneck! Friday afternoon, we are putting the extra supports in the ceiling. Sunday, Travis is coming over to help frame it out. An extra set of hands on Sunday would be appreciated.

"Great things happen when you start to add more light. The heavens open, angels sing and there is Peace on Earth" RockDoc

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon stony reef, 300 gallon softie tank, 120 gallon FW/Orchid tank
Unread 03/24/2009, 08:33 PM   #78
cornhusker85
Registered Member

Yeah i just canged it, im not sure if im an LA redneck or an LA compodre not sure which one would fit me better for my neighborhood.

cornhusker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2009, 05:56 PM   #79
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

A few update pics. I have pulled all of the old powerheads and added two more Tunze 6100's and a wavebox. I put all four Tunze 6100's behind the rock. Also, pulled all of the rock off of the top of the reef that had palys, yellow polyps and most of the zoo rock. Pulled about 60 pounds total. Spread out the corals so they have more room to grown out and up. Finally got the actinics back on the tank. I'll post some new top down pics next weekend with full sun and actinics. For now, some of todays project:

Pulled the bottom extension off of the tubes and put the old canopy back on to protect the tank from falling debris.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Alan auditioning for Charles Bronson's next movie "Death Wish 28"
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Framed out (minus actinics) and ready to put on the plywood.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Unread 03/29/2009, 07:13 PM   #80
cornhusker85
Registered Member

Its starting to come together.

Unread 03/30/2009, 07:26 PM   #81
Insainoreefer
Registered Member

Lookin good!

Insainoreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2009, 07:24 PM   #82
cornhusker85
Registered Member

Wheres the updated photos.

Sincerly,
The Tank Smasher

Unread 04/01/2009, 05:24 AM   #83
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

I was a wee bit distracted on Sunday. Apparently my frag tank is popular.

Unread 04/01/2009, 05:25 AM   #84
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

OK, who messed with my personal info.....Christmas tree stand????

Unread 04/01/2009, 11:57 AM   #85
CORALFISHG
Registered Member

it may be our rc staff.. the site has been renamed to wreath central for the day.. April 1st/ April fools day

400gal main display with 700gal total system..

Current Tank Info: 400 gal display, 700gal tottal system
CORALFISHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2009, 02:54 PM   #86
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cornhusker85
Wheres the updated photos.

Sincerly,
The Tank Smasher
Still working on it. In the meantime, two that I just took while tweeking the tubes and actinics.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Unread 04/05/2009, 12:46 PM   #87
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

OK, a few more update pics.

PC lights are installed.

First pic, mostly cloudy day, around 215 pm, PC's off

[IMG][/IMG]

Second pic, 5 minutes later with PC's on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 04/05/2009, 12:48 PM   #88
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

A couple of top down pics. Note that I pulled most of the rock that was fully encrusted with zoa, palys and yellow polyps. Also, corals still have a lot of "brown". Starting to show better color, expecially at night when just the PC's are on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 04/11/2009, 09:56 AM   #89
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

I was patching holes this morning above the tank so I could touch up the ceiling paint before hanging the plywood. Plywood came wrapped in a huge piece of cardboard. I used that to cover the tank while patching. Pics below show the light distribution of the solatubes. Taken at 1130 am on a overcast morning. Cardboard is about 3 inches above the water line.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 04/11/2009, 10:01 AM   #90
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Sun came out enough to clearly see the edge of the solatube reflection

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 04/11/2009, 10:06 AM   #91
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

For reference, this pic is with actinic and 10K's on. +/- 160 watts of PC 10K and +/- 425 watts of PC actinics.

Unread 04/11/2009, 10:07 AM   #92
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Sorry, pic would probably help!

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 04/11/2009, 10:45 AM   #93
Anemonebuff
Registered Member

I am not knocking you because I would do the same, but isn't it funny that even when we have natural sunlight we still add actinics?

Anemonebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 04:46 PM   #94
Marsfrogie
Registered Member

Since you don't have enough depth for preferential scattering of red light you have to add blue. But yea, kinda funny isn't it?

Marsfrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 06:14 PM   #95
hobogato
Registered Member

dont know how i missed this.... great job jd - quite an awesome tank ya got there!

btw, the shimmer will get much more dramatic. in the summer, you wont be able to look at the sand for very long without seeing spots for a while

Last edited by hobogato; 04/11/2009 at 06:42 PM.
hobogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 08:19 AM   #96
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Power bill update. I got my second full month with solatubes power bill yesterday. It was $20 more than last month, but still about $135 less than two months ago. During this month, I added the supplemental lighting to the tank, changed out the frag tank lighting and completely redid the circulation pumps in both tanks. Also, had family in town for 3 weeks. So, I'm still not sure what a "normal" month will look like.

Unread 04/17/2009, 08:20 AM   #97
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Power bill update. I got my second full month with solatube power bill yesterday. It was $20 more than last month, but still about $135 less than two months ago. During this month, I added the supplemental lighting to the tank, changed out the frag tank lighting and completely redid the circulation pumps in both tanks. Also, had family in town for 3 weeks. So, I'm still not sure what a "normal" month will look like.

Unread 04/17/2009, 10:51 AM   #98
Crypsis
yes

What are you using the solar fans for?

Current Tank Info: 180gal rimless peninsula build in progress.
Crypsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2009, 11:35 AM   #99
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

There were no roof vents or ridge vents in my attic. They are to vent the hot air from the attic and completely independent and unrelated to the aquarium. Should help lower my AC costs in the summer.

Unread 04/24/2009, 04:15 PM   #100
jdhuyvetter
SWFMAS Event Coordinator

Finally!!!! Last night we got the plywood up. Still have to put the trim pieces up and block out the light in the canopy doors.