Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2009, 10:36 PM   #351
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Yikes! Sorry guys but I just got home and putting the munchkins to bed and my mother-in-law visiting for a week beginning tomorrow. Will try to get a FTS up as I like to get your opinions on the new bulbs now that they are burned in.

DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 07:54 AM   #352
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

What bulb did you go with?

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 08:40 AM   #353
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Brian, I went with Marine Depot’s AquaMaxx 14K because they were really cheap on sale. So far I like the color but I’m a little concerned of the output. I’ve read pros and cons (as with everything) but I recently saw a thread where someone put them on a PAR meter. Their PAR was lower than the Phoenix 14K and much lower than the Radium 20K so I’m going to closely watch my corals to see how they react. I think I may have acclimated my corals too quickly to the lights as I’m having issues with a few colonies. All of the others are doing fine, so the jury is still out. If I continue to see issues, I’m going to switch bulbs.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1681126

Unread 08/04/2009, 02:47 PM   #354
mylittlejade
Registered Member

I thought your tank looked great with the new bulbs, your colors were great. It seemed that you were getting the greens and blues to pop out great in your corals...Well now that I think of it you had all the colors right on What about the two colonys that were taking the light change hard are the pulling through?

mylittlejade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2009, 05:23 PM   #355
Reefer08
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by FUA
yea lets see a FTS......no pressure or anything
Come on Dan we demand a FTS! Hahaha just kidding, no rush.

I think you'll be happy with aquamax, it looked good on Tonys tank. But nothing beats Radium

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 02:09 AM   #356
Reefer08
Moved On

Dan, do you use GFO on your tank?

Unread 08/06/2009, 09:52 AM   #357
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlejade
I thought your tank looked great with the new bulbs, your colors were great. It seemed that you were getting the greens and blues to pop out great in your corals...Well now that I think of it you had all the colors right on What about the two colonys that were taking the light change hard are the pulling through?
Hey Bryan, thanks for the complement. I picked up a Crayola Table from Tyree a while back and a Becker Tort that either hated the new lights, did not like the calcium reactor being off line for a week or just one of those mysteries. Both are goners, couldn't save them. I'm also having an issue with the Royal Plum but hopefully it will pull though. All the other corals are looking fine but I'm keeping a close eye on them. I'm going to order some Radiums to keep handy just in case.

Unread 08/06/2009, 09:55 AM   #358
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer08
Dan, do you use GFO on your tank?
Ramzy, yes I use BRS HC GFO 24/7 in a TLF reactor. I try to change it every 3 to 4 weeks or if my PO4 ticks up.

Unread 08/06/2009, 10:03 AM   #359
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

My Royal Pencil Wrasse jumped sometime after I left for work and even though the holes are 1/4" got himself stuck in the netting. By the time I got home the halides turned him into fish jerky!

Unread 08/06/2009, 10:35 AM   #360
aquariumclown
Moved On

Damn Dan, that little guy really wanted out. Sorry for the tragic loss.

aquariumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 04:45 PM   #361
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

That sucks Dan, I've had a few fish do that as well

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 04:46 PM   #362
aquariumclown
Moved On

Isn't Royal Pencil Wrasse pronounced "Royal Pain in the ***" anyways? lol

aquariumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 05:22 PM   #363
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Dan, is that netting really 1/4". Didn't think the wrasse could be that small to squeeze half way through. 1/4" is smaller than pencil eraser head. Perhaps something like a firefish but.......

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 06:34 PM   #364
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by aquariumclown
Damn Dan, that little guy really wanted out. Sorry for the tragic loss.
Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
That sucks Dan, I've had a few fish do that as well
Thanks guys, this is the 3rd time he has jumped through the netting. The first two times someone was around to put him back in. I guess 3 times is a charm.

Unread 08/06/2009, 07:11 PM   #365
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Sorry about the loss. Wrasses are one reason I would never go rimless but it looks like the netting doesn't even work all the time.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 08:18 PM   #366
mylittlejade
Registered Member

Sorry for the loss with the fish and corals. Let me know if you need any help with anything.

mylittlejade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2009, 09:07 PM   #367
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
Dan, is that netting really 1/4". Didn't think the wrasse could be that small to squeeze half way through. 1/4" is smaller than pencil eraser head. Perhaps something like a firefish but.......
Doh! Kenny you're right I have 1/2", I'm hoping to get 1/4" from some guy that is doing a group buy.

Unread 08/06/2009, 09:09 PM   #368
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlejade
Sorry for the loss with the fish and corals. Let me know if you need any help with anything.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dejavu
Sorry about the loss. Wrasses are one reason I would never go rimless but it looks like the netting doesn't even work all the time.
Thanks guys but that's how it goes, natural selection if you ask me. The dumb fish don't get selected. Once I get the 1/4" stuff I should be fine.

Unread 08/07/2009, 01:30 AM   #369
Reefer08
Moved On

Dan, sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully with the new netting this will never happen again.

Unread 08/07/2009, 06:02 AM   #370
wesley6610
Water Lover

I never knew saltwater fish jumped out of the tank also...I remember my Oscars alway doing that when I did FW. All the same, sorry to hear about the fish loss and I've learned something new.

Unread 08/07/2009, 06:55 AM   #371
FUA
Registered Member

That sucks but fish jerky might be good actually......kinda an expensive snack though.....sorry to hear about the loss

FUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2009, 08:37 AM   #372
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Thanks guys, funny it kinda reminded me of my relatives in Hawaii. We used to go fishing then cut the fish into strips marinate for a few days then sun dry them under a screen. I never cared for it though.

Unread 08/07/2009, 08:53 AM   #373
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

OK finally had time to take a new FTS (very anti-climatic isn’t it?). This is under the new AquaMaxx 14K bulbs. These have a much bluer tint to them than the Geisemann 13.5K bulbs that I previously ran as those were more crisp white with almost no blue. I like the color but the jury is still out on the effects of the coral. I have lost the Crayola Table (I think I’ll rename it DanW’s LE Polar White unfortunately no PE, no growth and later it will turn into the color of your live rock [easily cured in a little bleach though].). Any body have an easy method of getting the skeleton out? It’s one of the very few pieces that I had allowed to encrust on the main rock structure. (Actually I was too lazy and left the frag in a hole and it encrusted before I was ready to glue it to a piece of rubble.) Love to get your feedback on the color as I could change the T5s to adjust it.

Unread 08/07/2009, 08:55 AM   #374
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Here is one from last month for comparison:

Unread 08/07/2009, 09:24 AM   #375
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Real nice Dan, bummer about your fish and nice FTS's!

I'm not sure of my take on the bulb change though. I almost like the color of your tank in the pic from last month but maybe the exposure/wb is out of whack on the newer shot?

I don't know but either way you've got a great tank my friend!

Current Tank Info: 150G Starphire Zeovit Reef 48x30x24
Dave's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote