Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2009, 03:12 PM   #501
saltyg135er
Registered Member

I wish I could, but Sunday is the crazyest day for the restaurant. My buddy is going to go check out some stuff for me. Are you going to be there? Are you planning on getting some new stuff since your wife is gone. Does your wife notice any new stuff in your tank while shes gone. My girlfriend came back last night and noticed all the new things I got while she was gone. I was like, damn she noticed even the single polyp zoa's I got too. lol

saltyg135er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2009, 04:09 PM   #502
ReeferChick85
Moved On

Quote:
[i]...... Pretty soon I will have a LPS and fish only tank. [/B]

Gosh Dan,you make me feel bad for having an LPS only tank

hahahahaha!!! So those nice things you said about my tank was a joke huh? Thanks Dan. Thanks a lot.......LOL jk!!

Anywayssss I'm glad to hear your "sticks" are doing good and everything seems to be stable now. I'm still patiently waiting to come over ....I'll bring you some LPS to brighten your day k!! hahahaha!!!

ReeferChick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2009, 05:38 PM   #503
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by DanW
Thanks Kenny but I don’t know if I have any mojo to give you. My issues were due to poor husbandry practices. I would guess that your issues are based on some sort pathogen/bacteria/virus or buildup that was unavoidable, at least to the extent of normal hobbyist practices. Here’s hoping that both of our tanks turn around soon.
A firm handshake on Sunday will be sufficient

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2009, 05:38 PM   #504
NVTE
Registered Member

Hang in there Dan. Don't go with all LPS tank .

Starting new 190 Gallon
NVTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2009, 09:25 AM   #505
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyg135er
I wish I could, but Sunday is the crazyest day for the restaurant. My buddy is going to go check out some stuff for me. Are you going to be there? Are you planning on getting some new stuff since your wife is gone. Does your wife notice any new stuff in your tank while shes gone. My girlfriend came back last night and noticed all the new things I got while she was gone. I was like, damn she noticed even the single polyp zoa's I got too. lol
Sometimes but my son usually can't wait to tell my wife about the new stuff. I can't really say, "Don't tell your mother." cause I want to know when she buys a new purse, shoes, dress...

DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2009, 09:31 AM   #506
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by ReeferChick85
Gosh Dan,you make me feel bad for having an LPS only tank

hahahahaha!!! So those nice things you said about my tank was a joke huh? Thanks Dan. Thanks a lot.......LOL jk!!

Anywayssss I'm glad to hear your "sticks" are doing good and everything seems to be stable now. I'm still patiently waiting to come over ....I'll bring you some LPS to brighten your day k!! hahahaha!!!
Oops, no offense Kat but I love my colored sticks not that there is anything wrong with LPS just a preference. The picts of your tank are great and I'd love to see it someday. Where's MY invitation? Like I said you and Ramzy are welcome anytime, it's just that there is some carnage in there right now.

Unread 09/02/2009, 09:32 AM   #507
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
A firm handshake on Sunday will be sufficient
Whoa Kenny, that's a lot to ask. Just make sure you dont have any zoa juice on your hand.

Unread 09/02/2009, 09:33 AM   #508
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by NVTE
Hang in there Dan. Don't go with all LPS tank .
Thanks Daniel, I won't...like the colored sticks too much.

Unread 09/02/2009, 09:38 AM   #509
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Finally got the camera out to snap a few photos. First the bad, my Undata that was the normal green with purple edge is now completely purple and frankly I thought it was dead until I looked at the picture and saw some polyps.

Carolinina that was green and now mostly brown with flesh missing from the tips.

Notice the brown damage near the tips. They were all brown a week ago but I am now noticing a few tips showing some recovery.

Unread 09/02/2009, 09:41 AM   #510
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Now for a shot of one that didn’t miss a beat (always end on a good note, right?).

Unread 09/02/2009, 11:14 AM   #511
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Good to see some healthy corals.

Quote:
Whoa Kenny, that's a lot to ask. Just make sure you dont have any zoa juice on your hand.
No zoa juice, just an ice cold Bass

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Unread 09/02/2009, 12:05 PM   #512
aquariumclown
Moved On

They'll come back Dan now that you've corrected the problem. Mine did when I had a mental mess up and got my alk at 16dkh

aquariumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2009, 05:28 PM   #513
saltyg135er
Registered Member

Quote:
Sometimes but my son usually can't wait to tell my wife about the new stuff. I can't really say, "Don't tell your mother." cause I want to know when she buys a new purse, shoes, dress...
Glad to see your corals are getting back to their normal self again.
Ah, I see. That sound fair then. I hope you get to find some nice additions at CFM on Sunday. My buddy is going to try to keep his eye out on some stuff for me too, since I cant go. Hope to see your tank soon.

Michael

Unread 09/02/2009, 09:58 PM   #514
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by aquariumclown
They'll come back Dan now that you've corrected the problem. Mine did when I had a mental mess up and got my alk at 16dkh
Leo, what happend to your corals when the dKH up that high? Did only the tips burn?

Unread 09/02/2009, 10:02 PM   #515
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Good to see some healthy corals.

No zoa juice, just an ice cold Bass
Kenny, I wish I would have time to tip a few with you at CFM. Will have my son and maybe my bro with me so I'll be early and leave around 1;30. I know how busy it gets and that your not only there to see acquaintances so I'll say hi and respect your time. Hopefully it will be profitable enough to get your next toy.

Unread 09/02/2009, 10:18 PM   #516
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Glad to see your corals are getting back to their normal self again.
Ah, I see. That sound fair then. I hope you get to find some nice additions at CFM on Sunday. My buddy is going to try to keep his eye out on some stuff for me too, since I cant go. Hope to see your tank soon.

Michael
Thanks Michael, unless I'm wishin' it to be, I think that they are even better tonight. Let's definitely get something scheduled soon.

Unread 09/02/2009, 10:48 PM   #517
aquariumclown
Moved On

Quote:
Leo, what happend to your corals when the dKH up that high? Did only the tips burn?
Yes recession a bit like your pictures you just posted, a few had burnt tips. Most effected was a 4 inch purple rim efflo I had, it never recovered, but I had cut a frag previously and that survived, so not all was lost.

aquariumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2009, 02:27 AM   #518
saltyg135er
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Michael, unless I'm wishin' it to be, I think that they are even better tonight. Let's definitely get something scheduled soon.
Waiting on you Dan, I might get 2 days off next week because I didn't get a day off this week. Had to work the dreaded 14 day straight shift. I'm beat, can barely get enough energy to feed my fish. But when I get home I always seem to get the energy to feed and check out my tank for about an hour. Ahh how relaxing the sea can be.

Unread 09/03/2009, 10:15 AM   #519
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Waiting on you Dan, I might get 2 days off next week because I didn't get a day off this week. Had to work the dreaded 14 day straight shift. I'm beat, can barely get enough energy to feed my fish. But when I get home I always seem to get the energy to feed and check out my tank for about an hour. Ahh how relaxing the sea can be.
Michael, let me know when you have days off...I'm sure we can work something out.

Unread 09/03/2009, 10:20 AM   #520
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Kenny, I wish I would have time to tip a few with you at CFM. Will have my son and maybe my bro with me so I'll be early and leave around 1;30. I know how busy it gets and that your not only there to see acquaintances so I'll say hi and respect your time. Hopefully it will be profitable enough to get your next toy.
Nah, this time, I am mostly there to hangout with friends old and new. Been too lazy to frag much. I already got the money set aside for the new stuff

Unread 09/03/2009, 01:56 PM   #521
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Nah, this time, I am mostly there to hangout with friends old and new. Been too lazy to frag much. I already got the money set aside for the new stuff
New stuff? Did you get your angles?

You have to go since I am sending down a present for you with John

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2009, 07:05 AM   #522
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Cool deal Kenny, PM coming.

Unread 09/04/2009, 07:38 AM   #523
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Post carnage FTS

Here is the latest FTS post my stupid mistakes. I think the final count was 7 corals lost, a couple of them were with me for over 2 years, all started as frags. Some of the frags were ones that I had difficulty finding. The good news is that **it appears** that I’ve corrected the problems as although I’ve lost a lot of color, I’ve not seen further degradation since I corrected the parameters. My best guess is that the low salinity was the biggest issue although I’m sure the alkalinity swings were a significant contributor. This was a huge lesson for me to realize that I should not ignore my equipment and solely focus on water parameters. All things considered, this was pretty minor as I know there are people having much bigger issues. At least I’ll be doing my part in helping the economy at CFM this weekend.

Unread 09/04/2009, 09:02 AM   #524
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Wow Dan, Your fish are fast

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2009, 10:21 AM   #525
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
New stuff? Did you get your angles?

You have to go since I am sending down a present for you with John
Not yet. Still working on it. Thanks for the coral