Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/05/2010, 07:59 AM   #1501
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
LOL - I think that might have been my husbands garage
Your husbands...my dream

DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2010, 08:12 AM   #1502
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitr View Post
any recent FTS
thanks
Hey Lawrence, tanks for stopping by I've seen your thread and you've got a monster of a tank going there. Love the use of the kiddie pool during the transfer. I'll try to get some updated FTS over the weekend. Believe me "ain't no big thing" though.

Unread 06/11/2010, 08:45 AM   #1503
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Happy Friday...

Unread 06/11/2010, 08:26 PM   #1504
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Great pic Dan. I still need to add a few to my tank.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2010, 12:33 AM   #1505
ryanjiang
Registered Member

Dan, subscribed your thread for while. Great tank and fantasic seleciton of fish, keep up the good work!

I am planning the lighting of my future tank update, which will be a 48" X 30" (D) X 20" (H) rimless. Most likely light will be either 10 lamp ATI PM or Gman Spectra 2X 250MH 4X T5, how do you like the spectra so far? From the spec and picture, I gesitmate the reflector is about 15" X 15" is it close? It appears to have good size reflector comparing to other MH/t5 fixture, that's why I like it (plus mogul socket). My concern on spectra is no active cooling will T5 get too hot and loss some performance what do you think?

oops I almost forgot to ask you what is current bulb combination? Thanks.

Unread 06/12/2010, 06:32 AM   #1506
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Great pic Dan. I still need to add a few to my tank.
Thanks Brian, he's my latest addition. I'm thinking of removing the Borbonius since he bullies any other fish that is added. He's not exactly rolling out the red carpet for the linny

Unread 06/12/2010, 07:06 AM   #1507
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjiang View Post
Dan, subscribed your thread for while. Great tank and fantasic seleciton of fish, keep up the good work!

I am planning the lighting of my future tank update, which will be a 48" X 30" (D) X 20" (H) rimless. Most likely light will be either 10 lamp ATI PM or Gman Spectra 2X 250MH 4X T5, how do you like the spectra so far? From the spec and picture, I gesitmate the reflector is about 15" X 15" is it close? It appears to have good size reflector comparing to other MH/t5 fixture, that's why I like it (plus mogul socket). My concern on spectra is no active cooling will T5 get too hot and loss some performance what do you think?

oops I almost forgot to ask you what is current bulb combination? Thanks.
Thank you for the kind words Ryan. Funny I was also considering those exact two pendants along with the Sfiligoi XR6. The reflectors are about 14" x 7" and I'm not sure about the T-5 temp/performance but remember that since you have halides for the most part you're looking for color supplementation (at least I am). My current bulb configuation is Radiums with 3 G-man Atinic+ and 1 Fiji Purple. I think that over a 48" tank the Spectra would be perfect, I get some darker areas along the left/right sides because my tank is 60". I'm currently considering going LED...hey maybe you can buy my fixutre

Unread 06/12/2010, 08:23 AM   #1508
eran
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW View Post
Thanks Brian, he's my latest addition. I'm thinking of removing the Borbonius since he bullies any other fish that is added. He's not exactly rolling out the red carpet for the linny
This is not good news I used to have 5 of in my old tank. I really want to add a few to my new tank. The good thing is they will probably be the last fish in the tank if I cant find any pyramid butterflies

The 5 I had before really didnt bother a thing. They would quarrel amongst themselves but never bothered other fish. But I only had them for like 8 months and they were still less then 2"

265gal starfire, 90 gal. sump, 70gal. frag tank, 40gal. QT tank, Vertex Alpha 300 Cone Skimmer, calcium and kalk reactors, 5- tunze 6105's, 7069 controller, Apex, 3-400watt radiums w/galaxy ballasts in lumenbright larges, 2 super actinic VHO's

Current Tank Info: 265gal starfire, 90 gal. sump, 70gal. frag tank, 40gal. QT tank, Alpha 300 Cone Skimmer, Geo 618 calcium and kalk reactors, 5- tunze 6105's, 7069 controller, Apex, 3-400watt radiums w/galaxy ballasts in lumenbright larges, 2 super actinic VHO's
eran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2010, 08:25 AM   #1509
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Happy Friday...

Very nice Dan. How big is it? I've never got one since they are one of the largest Cirrhilabrus.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2010, 09:37 AM   #1510
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Good looking lineatus, Dan. Now if we only get some of those dang rhomboids to stay alive for you.

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2010, 02:26 PM   #1511
ryanjiang
Registered Member

Wow the combo should pop up color nicely! How do you like the growth on Radium? I remember you had amazing growth with previous G-man 14K.
I will be glad to take your spectra if I decide to go with MH/T5 fixture, I am new to SPS an trying all-t5 and Radium to see which one is for me and determine the light for my upgrade, here is my tank update thread.
My bro go to socal from time to time, if I will buy the spectra from you I can have him pick up for me.
I will be interested to see how you corals doing under LED, you have awesome collection of SPS, if you can have a successful LED SPS. I believe lot of reefers will follow.

Unread 06/12/2010, 08:31 PM   #1512
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

I just heard an interesting stat tonight. Barry Zito in 108-6 when he receives 4+ runs and 24-2 with the Giants.

Hi Dan

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2010, 09:49 PM   #1513
peng1606
Registered Member

Nice tank Dan....in the process of planning a 180G build myself. Equipment on the way (being shipped)....but taking everything slowly...

peng1606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2010, 07:20 AM   #1514
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookstreet View Post
Good looking lineatus, Dan. Now if we only get some of those dang rhomboids to stay alive for you.
Thanks Kenny and as far as those Rhomboids...

Unread 06/13/2010, 07:25 AM   #1515
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

I like the Radiums and the growth has been pretty good but not as much with the G-Mans BUT I had tank issues just as I installed the Radiums so its not a fair comparison. I'll check out your build thread and see what your up too as soon as life slows down...maybe tonight. As far as LEDs, I'm no pioneer and I've shown that its very dangerous to follow my lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjiang View Post
Wow the combo should pop up color nicely! How do you like the growth on Radium? I remember you had amazing growth with previous G-man 14K.
I will be glad to take your spectra if I decide to go with MH/T5 fixture, I am new to SPS an trying all-t5 and Radium to see which one is for me and determine the light for my upgrade, here is my tank update thread.
My bro go to socal from time to time, if I will buy the spectra from you I can have him pick up for me.
I will be interested to see how you corals doing under LED, you have awesome collection of SPS, if you can have a successful LED SPS. I believe lot of reefers will follow.

Unread 06/13/2010, 07:30 AM   #1516
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoletti View Post
I just heard an interesting stat tonight. Barry Zito in 108-6 when he receives 4+ runs and 24-2 with the Giants.

Hi Dan
There you go again wearing those Black and Orange bandana on your sleeve (tbone can't be far behind ). I'll look at the numbers a little later but off the top of my head I'd say that ANYONES record has to be pretty good if their team scores 4+. If a starter averages say 6 innings per start then they only need to keep their ERA under 6.00 in order to pick up the win. Pretty low bar hun?

Unread 06/13/2010, 07:35 AM   #1517
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peng1606 View Post
Nice tank Dan....in the process of planning a 180G build myself. Equipment on the way (being shipped)....but taking everything slowly...
Thank you. I would welcome you to RC seeing that this is your first post but it says you joined in 2005...so I'm honored that I could get you to make your first post here. Please let me know if you start a thread and if not let me know how your build progresses. Glasgow...UK?

Unread 06/13/2010, 07:38 AM   #1518
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eran View Post
This is not good news I used to have 5 of in my old tank. I really want to add a few to my new tank. The good thing is they will probably be the last fish in the tank if I cant find any pyramid butterflies

The 5 I had before really didnt bother a thing. They would quarrel amongst themselves but never bothered other fish. But I only had them for like 8 months and they were still less then 2"
Yep I know that a few people have had this issue...Mark (Poletti) likens their behavior more like a snapper and I'd agree but every fish is different so you never know. I hear that Hemitaurichthys polylepis are pretty cool.

Unread 06/13/2010, 07:40 AM   #1519
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoletti View Post
Very nice Dan. How big is it? I've never got one since they are one of the largest Cirrhilabrus.
Thanks Mark, he's about 3.5". You know I'm a wrasse guy...always wanted one of these guys...now about those (*&%#$ rhomboids....

Unread 06/13/2010, 03:13 PM   #1520
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Thanks Kenny and as far as those Rhomboids...
Dan, we'll give it another go in a bit

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Unread 06/14/2010, 01:29 AM   #1521
Reefer08
Moved On

Hey Dave, it was nice to finally see your tank today. Your tank is amazing with all those LE corals.

Thank you so much for that filefish! He's happily picking away at aiptasia already in a 5g tank I placed him in (with heater and filter of course). Im scared to put him in my tank but I think the cleaning station idea should work. Did he start picking at your sps polyps only after the aiptasia was all gone? How long did it take for him to clear your entire tank of aiptasia? Thanks again.

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2010, 09:09 AM   #1522
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Dan, we'll give it another go in a bit
Yeah Kenny, you know I'll try again (poor unsuspecting fish). BTW I saw a Bandito this weekend. She was pretty big 5" inches maybe but what a beautiful fish Believe me the thought crossed my mind

Unread 06/14/2010, 09:20 AM   #1523
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer08 View Post
Hey Dave, it was nice to finally see your tank today. Your tank is amazing with all those LE corals.

Thank you so much for that filefish! He's happily picking away at aiptasia already in a 5g tank I placed him in (with heater and filter of course). Im scared to put him in my tank but I think the cleaning station idea should work. Did he start picking at your sps polyps only after the aiptasia was all gone? How long did it take for him to clear your entire tank of aiptasia? Thanks again.
Dave? No he was the guy that you came with Thanks for stopping by...amazing tank? nah just trying not to kill the inhabitants. Not sure when the filefish started nipping but I would guess it was 7-10 days afterwards that I noticed several of my pieces had lost PE. Funny not all of them though. I don't think he cared for millis and left the dendros alone. I didn't have many aptasias left in the tank (at least that I could see) but what was left was gone in about a week. He was happily muchning on everything I fed so I know that he was getting plenty to eat. Your cleaning station idea sounds cool...good luck with him...he's ugly but in a kinda cool way.

Unread 06/14/2010, 10:34 AM   #1524
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Yeah Kenny, you know I'll try again (poor unsuspecting fish). BTW I saw a Bandito this weekend. She was pretty big 5" inches maybe but what a beautiful fish Believe me the thought crossed my mind
5" is pretty big if it was collected at that size. It would be a different story if it was in someone's tank for a long time tho. Was it eating, at least?

Unread 06/14/2010, 12:53 PM   #1525
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
5" is pretty big if it was collected at that size. It would be a different story if it was in someone's tank for a long time tho. Was it eating, at least?
Collected that size and I did not ask to see if it would eat. I knew better and to get one that large and to tempt myself. Altough the price it was being offered at really made me hesitate.