Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2009, 02:40 PM   #176
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlejade
Very nice Dan. You know how to grow some corals thats for sure.
Thanks Bryan but compared to some others, I’m just a noob.

DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2009, 07:31 PM   #177
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Unread 07/12/2009, 08:00 AM   #178
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Nice Dan, is that the piece I got a frag of. That picture looks kind of like the aspera.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 10:33 AM   #179
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
Nice Dan, is that the piece I got a frag of. That picture looks kind of like the aspera.
Yup, its the piece that I sent to Sac-town via Biggs. Can't quite get the color right but it is green with yellow nodules and pink eyes. I've not seen the aspera in person so I can't compare. How's your piece doing?

Unread 07/12/2009, 11:27 AM   #180
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

It's doing well. It looks like their is a bit too much light on the coral for the picture then. Try to underexpose the picture and go from there. Thanks again

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 07/12/2009, 02:36 PM   #181
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
It's doing well. It looks like their is a bit too much light on the coral for the picture then. Try to underexpose the picture and go from there. Thanks again
OK, got it. Underexpose the picture I'll try that. Just one question, how do you do that?

Unread 07/12/2009, 03:25 PM   #182
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

You will probably have to ask Kenny as he is a Canon guy, but in the nikon, you shoot in full manual mode and you can see the exposure +/- in the viewfinder. Just scroll one way or the other.

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 07/13/2009, 12:18 AM   #183
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Hey Dan,

Your tank looks fantastic! Question for you, how do you like the Korallin 1502 for CA Rx? I have the same one and have always had trouble getting it dialed in.

Additionally, how do you like the Tunze/Vortech combo? I'm debating on going that route my self and wanted your .02.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 150G Starphire Zeovit Reef 48x30x24
Dave's Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2009, 10:45 AM   #184
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave's Reef
Hey Dan,

Your tank looks fantastic! Question for you, how do you like the Korallin 1502 for CA Rx? I have the same one and have always had trouble getting it dialed in.

Additionally, how do you like the Tunze/Vortech combo? I'm debating on going that route my self and wanted your .02.

Thanks
Thanks Dave. Initially I had issues dialing in my 1502 and struggled for a while however when I set up the new system I designed a way to monitor the PH of the effluent which was the key for me. Now that I can see that the effluent is at the right PH, I only have to worry about the amount that is being added and after a few weeks of testing and tweaking, I finally got it dialed in. Now I rarely need to add any 2 part (although I’m also sure that adding a Kalk reactor also plays a part in this too). Do you monitor the effluent PH?

I like the Tunze/Tortech combo because I think that their strengths complement each other. I love the flow and undertow from the Vortechs and I like being able to aim the Tunzes, the combo seems to work for me. Now if I could only keep the sand in place, I’d be happy.

Unread 07/13/2009, 11:18 AM   #185
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Since the last FTS, I have been busy changing the coral composition. When I initially started SPS I (almost) haphazardly purchased frags without a concept on how they would look together in the tank. This resulted in an overweighting of colors and species so with a much better idea, several were corals removed and replaced with new frags. Since I’ve grown everything from frags the decision of which to remove was harder than I anticipated. Plus it’s always fun to buy new stuff when you have real estate to fill.

Unread 07/13/2009, 11:55 AM   #186
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DanW
Thanks Dave. Initially I had issues dialing in my 1502 and struggled for a while however when I set up the new system I designed a way to monitor the PH of the effluent which was the key for me. Now that I can see that the effluent is at the right PH, I only have to worry about the amount that is being added and after a few weeks of testing and tweaking, I finally got it dialed in. Now I rarely need to add any 2 part (although I’m also sure that adding a Kalk reactor also plays a part in this too). Do you monitor the effluent PH?

I like the Tunze/Tortech combo because I think that their strengths complement each other. I love the flow and undertow from the Vortechs and I like being able to aim the Tunzes, the combo seems to work for me. Now if I could only keep the sand in place, I’d be happy.
Up to now I've never used a PH probe for my CA RX but realize that's the only way to truly take advantage of it's full potential. Do you have the special lid from Korallin to accommodate the probe through the top of the reactor lid? Also, I take it you're using a PH controller with a solenoid valve to shut off/on your Co2 to the reactor, right? If so, which model did you get? I'm trying to make a decision which to get. I think Pinpoint Marine is really the only game out there but of course I think you can get an expansion box to hook up to an AC3. Either winds up costing about the same if I recall correctly.

Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks

Unread 07/13/2009, 02:16 PM   #187
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Up to now I've never used a PH probe for my CA RX but realize that's the only way to truly take advantage of it's full potential. Do you have the special lid from Korallin to accommodate the probe through the top of the reactor lid? Also, I take it you're using a PH controller with a solenoid valve to shut off/on your Co2 to the reactor, right? If so, which model did you get? I'm trying to make a decision which to get. I think Pinpoint Marine is really the only game out there but of course I think you can get an expansion box to hook up to an AC3. Either winds up costing about the same if I recall correctly.

Let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks
Dave, the way I do it is probably not the way it should be done but it works for me. I had an effluent cup built into my sump where I placed a probe for a PH monitor. I use that monitor to ensure that the effluent PH is stable between 6.4-6.7 (varies with the lighting cycle). The CO2 regulator’s solenoid is hooked up to my AC Jr. so if the tank’s PH drops below 7.95 the CO2 is turned off. Probably the better way is to have a PH controller monitoring the reactor PH (through the Korallin lid) and then have the PH controller hooked up to the tank controller. That way you could control effluent PH but still have a failsafe so that the reactor doesn’t drive down the tank PH below safe levels. I added a kalk reactor to counteract the calcium reactor’s tendency to lower the tank PH that runs on a LMIII when the lights are out. I know that Milwaukee makes PH controllers so you may want to check them out too. Hope that helps.

Unread 07/13/2009, 06:40 PM   #188
mylittlejade
Registered Member

You have Gotten rid of a lot of corals since the last time I came by it looks like, tank looks amazing as always though. Thanks for the help on those frags also, Cassidy has them all and I will hopefully be getting them in the next week or so. I missed out on the Blue Matrix while I was at work so I'm kind of frustrated about that one.

mylittlejade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2009, 10:49 PM   #189
Reefer08
Moved On

Dan, what setting do you keep your Vortech at? Im debating whether to keep mine at lagoon (purple) or reef crest (yellow).

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2009, 08:54 AM   #190
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlejade
You have Gotten rid of a lot of corals since the last time I came by it looks like, tank looks amazing as always though. Thanks for the help on those frags also, Cassidy has them all and I will hopefully be getting them in the next week or so. I missed out on the Blue Matrix while I was at work so I'm kind of frustrated about that one.
Bryan, Jared's stuff is top notch and good sized too. Sorry about the Matrix, mine is a super slow grower and has just been encrusting since I got it. Maybe you can find a piece at Inland Coral Farmers Market. I'll keep my eye out for you.

Unread 07/14/2009, 08:57 AM   #191
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer08
Dan, what setting do you keep your Vortech at? Im debating whether to keep mine at lagoon (purple) or reef crest (yellow).
Ramzy, I have my on reef crest at 100% on anti-sync. I may have to turn them down a little as for some reason they have really been blowing my sand around lately. Just picked some larger grain and I'm going to try to put some in the trouble spots after I've soaked it for a few weeks.

Unread 07/14/2009, 11:31 AM   #192
PnoyReefeR
Registered Member

Nice FTS. .lots of goodies in there..is that PM in the center pic?

Unread 07/14/2009, 12:07 PM   #193
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Ok I got another 1502 question for you... what are you using for a feed pump for it? Are you using a luft pump or a small power head? I'm curious cause I always had to choke my feed pump down and could never get the effluent to come out slow enough to not jack up my alk.

Thanks

Unread 07/14/2009, 12:29 PM   #194
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by PnoyReefeR
Nice FTS. .lots of goodies in there..is that PM in the center pic?
Thanks Steve. I do have a little PM but that is a valida (?) that I picked up a long time ago.

Unread 07/14/2009, 12:32 PM   #195
mylittlejade
Registered Member

Thanks Dan.It seems that every time the Matrix pops up I miss out on it. Definitely. let me know if you see it.Any luck on the grafted simplex? I have been looking but no one wants to frag.

mylittlejade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2009, 12:34 PM   #196
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Ok I got another 1502 question for you... what are you using for a feed pump for it? Are you using a luft pump or a small power head? I'm curious cause I always had to choke my feed pump down and could never get the effluent to come out slow enough to not jack up my alk.

Thanks
Dave, I used to use a Mini-Jet 606 but with the new tank I made a manifold in my return. The manifold drives the calcium reactor as well as 2 TLF reactors. What are you using now?

Unread 07/14/2009, 01:12 PM   #197
Dave's Reef
Registered Member

Currently I'm not using the reactor but when I had it on my previous tank I was using a Premium Maxi-jet 400 pump pictured here:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...s~vendor~.html

I've also used a Rio 90 as well. Both pumps put out only 100 gph or so and I would choke them down but like I said, they were always real touchy and getting a "slow" drip rate was always a PITA!

I was thinking of trying a luft pump to see if it can give me what I'm looking for, a slower drip rate.

Unread 07/14/2009, 02:06 PM   #198
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Dave, you may want to go with the same pump that you had and use that orange ball valve that came with the reactor. In a few months your frags will grow into mini colonies and I didn’t see any clams in your tank but they really suck up calcium. You may need a slow drip now but shortly you’ll need a steady stream in your 150. If not maybe an Aqualifter?

Unread 07/16/2009, 12:40 PM   #199
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Welcome back everyone! That was quite a scare.

Unread 07/16/2009, 01:05 PM   #200
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Very nice Dan, Any females for him? I lost my two females after a couple weeks as the rosy scales was a little too aggressive for them

c.) Why chase numbers?