Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/16/2009, 01:24 PM   #201
leslie hempel
Registered Member

lovley

leslie hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2009, 04:16 PM   #202
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by mpoletti
Very nice Dan, Any females for him? I lost my two females after a couple weeks as the rosy scales was a little too aggressive for them
Thanks Mark. I've got a bit of a boys club going on in there, no females. Do you think that it is beneficial to get pairs? How easy is it to pair them up? Also I wanted to ask you how long you keep them in that fish acclamator that you use before you release them.

DanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2009, 04:17 PM   #203
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by leslie hempel
lovley
Thank you Leslie.

Unread 07/16/2009, 04:22 PM   #204
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Dan, I am a big fan of pairs. You get more natural behavior and to see fish flash is simply awesome. I will be dropping in a few more females for my flame shortly

As for the acclimation, I always say no less than 48-72 hours, but sometimes I don't play by my own rules

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2009, 04:39 PM   #205
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Dan, I am a big fan of pairs. You get more natural behavior and to see fish flash is simply awesome. I will be dropping in a few more females for my flame shortly

As for the acclimation, I always say no less than 48-72 hours, but sometimes I don't play by my own rules
I think that I will start to pair up my fish since my last count was at about 12. I’ve got two more males going in soon (I hope). I picked up one of those acclimation containers that you had posted on your site, how do you keep them from floating around?

Unread 07/16/2009, 05:42 PM   #206
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by DanW
how do you keep them from floating around?
2-part epoxy and glue them to the side

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2009, 07:36 PM   #207
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
2-part epoxy and glue them to the side
doh!

Unread 07/17/2009, 01:03 AM   #208
Reefer08
Moved On

Whats the purpose of keeping the fish in the acclimation container?

Dan which LFS do you get your nice anthias from? Let me know which socal lfs has them

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 01:15 AM   #209
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Nice

Very impressive coral...

Can you discuss your water regimen, changes, dosing, testing?

Stunning SPS.

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 12:08 PM   #210
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer08
Whats the purpose of keeping the fish in the acclimation container?

Dan which LFS do you get your nice anthias from? Let me know which socal lfs has them
Ramzy, The acclamation container is used to let the fishes get to know each other before releasing the new ones into the display. This will hopefully reduce the squabbles between them. It also will let you see if the new fish is not eating or have any other difficulties before going into the display. (Did I miss anything Mark?)

As far as Anthias I only have a single barbonius that I acquired through Fraggle Reef before Miguel sold it.

Unread 07/17/2009, 12:10 PM   #211
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Re: Nice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightsluvr
Very impressive coral...

Can you discuss your water regimen, changes, dosing, testing?

Stunning SPS.

LL
LL: Thank you. Also I just went though your build thread (my vision is still blurry) and OMG! I left you a little note there.

I’m pretty basic and try to stick to my schedule as much as possible. I mix my own salt using TMP and change 15 gallons every two weeks. Since I got my CA reactor (finally) dialed in I only occasionally dose two-part or magnesium. I test the tank every two weeks (the weeks without the water change) for CA (Elos), KH (API), PO4 (Hanna) & NO3 (Elos). I test each batch of replacement salt water for the same parameters before I conduct the change. For additives I use Prodibio (Bio Digest, Reef Booster), Warner Marine Aminos, Vodka, Iron and Potassium. Have you decided what additives (if any) you will be using on your (large) slice of ocean?

Unread 07/17/2009, 12:16 PM   #212
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Unread 07/17/2009, 12:16 PM   #213
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Re: Re: Nice

Quote:
LL: Thank you. Also I just went though your build thread (my vision is still blurry) and OMG! I left you a little note there.

I’m pretty basic and try to stick to my schedule as much as possible. I mix my own salt using TMP and change 15 gallons every two weeks. Since I got my CA reactor (finally) dialed in I only occasionally dose two-part or magnesium. I test the tank every two weeks (the weeks without the water change) for CA (Elos), KH (API), PO4 (Hanna) & NO3 (Elos). I test each batch of replacement salt water for the same parameters before I conduct the change. For additives I use Prodibio (Bio Digest, Reef Booster), Warner Marine Aminos, Vodka, Iron and Potassium. Have you decided what additives (if any) you will be using on your (large) slice of ocean?
I have a Life Reef LRC-2 CA reactor. Never used one before, so will call on some of the local guys to tutor me in set-up. Beyond that, I will probably still dose iodine and strontium...just a habit. I may have to dose MG, but I have found that Reef Crystals keeps the water up around 1350, so hopefully won't need to do much...

What you're doing seems to work...I should be so lucky with SPS. They are so unforgiving...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 01:17 PM   #214
pookstreet
Registered Stick Killer

Nice Dendros I had some spare silversides left over from my crosshatch days so I fed them to the Dendros. They were very happy.

Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart - Confucius

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful - John Wooden

Current Tank Info: What's that???
pookstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2009, 08:29 PM   #215
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
Nice Dendros I had some spare silversides left over from my crosshatch days so I fed them to the Dendros. They were very happy.
Yah, got a tip from some guy on where to find them.

Unread 07/17/2009, 09:25 PM   #216
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Dendros are cool

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 07/17/2009, 10:02 PM   #217
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Dendros are cool
I like them too. What do you think of Rhizos? I saw a big pink one the other day, that was cool!

Unread 07/18/2009, 04:06 PM   #218
Reefer08
Moved On

Re: Re: Nice

Quote:

For additives I use Prodibio (Bio Digest, Reef Booster), Warner Marine Aminos, Vodka, Iron and Potassium. Have you decided what additives (if any) you will be using on your (large) slice of ocean?

How often do you dose the Prodibio Bio Digest & Reef Booster? Also how much Vodka do you dose daily?

Im currently doing zeovit basic 4 which is carbon dosing along with bacteria dosing similar to Prodibio, not sure if im happy with it though. Its been a lot of work and im a lazy person lol

What is this Iron your dosing? The only Iron supplement I know of is from Zeovit. Its supposed to help in Green sps? Have you noticed any difference?

Thanks

Reefer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2009, 08:12 PM   #219
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Dan very nice, your growth is amazing!

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2009, 07:20 AM   #220
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Re: Re: Re: Nice

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer08
How often do you dose the Prodibio Bio Digest & Reef Booster? Also how much Vodka do you dose daily?

Im currently doing zeovit basic 4 which is carbon dosing along with bacteria dosing similar to Prodibio, not sure if im happy with it though. Its been a lot of work and im a lazy person lol

What is this Iron your dosing? The only Iron supplement I know of is from Zeovit. Its supposed to help in Green sps? Have you noticed any difference?

Thanks
Ramzy, I admittedly am lazy. Shoot, I got tired just reading the Zeo schedule! So I went with something less demanding (on the advice of Ali from Amazing Aquariums) and went Prodibio. I dose Bio Digest and Reef Booster one capsule once a week. I used to also dose Bio Digest but was told that I could substitute Vodka as a cheaper alternative. For Vodka, I try remember to dose 2 ml twice a week (I usually only get one in). I am only dosing iron a few ml per week in the fuge as I read that it is good for the cheato (I believe Randy Holmes-Farley posted it). I really haven't noticed any difference in the greens though. How do you like the Zeo? How often do you have to dose? Like I said just reading what had to be done (at least for the full method) was just too much for me but I certainly admire those that can stick with it!

Unread 07/19/2009, 07:33 AM   #221
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dejavu
Dan very nice, your growth is amazing!
Thank you Brian. I just went through your build thread and yup Baller! Very nicely done.

I’ve had good growth with some of my corals using the Giesemann Megachrome Marine bulbs but even with T5 supplementation it was too white for my taste. I switched to a new set of bulbs (AquaMaxx) last weekend so I’ll be interested on how it effects my growth. The AquaMaxx were inexpensive and I’ve heard both good and bad things about them. They are definitely much bluer but I’ll see how they burn in, bottom line will be the effect on the coral though.

Unread 07/19/2009, 07:42 AM   #222
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Unread 07/19/2009, 08:32 AM   #223
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

See Dan, You are a baller

c.) Why chase numbers?
Unread 07/19/2009, 07:02 PM   #224
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Thank you Brian. I just went through your build thread and yup Baller! Very nicely done.
Not quite yet a baller. If i can get growth and color like you I might have a chance.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2009, 06:53 AM   #225
DanW
Certified Stick Killer

Quote:
See Dan, You are a baller
Me? Nah. Everytime I look through someone's thread I think "Wow, I hope my tank will eventually look that good" or "Great idea, I shoulda..." Looks like I'll be regulated to Reef status.