Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 08:05 AM   #151
AZReef13
Registered Member

Still my favorite build on RC, on day I to my upgrade my IM 40 to something similar?

Great Job!

AZReef13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 07:06 AM   #152
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReef13 View Post
Still my favorite build on RC, on day I to my upgrade my IM 40 to something similar?

Great Job!
We are all on our way to an upgrade. Then we will probably downgrade a few years later.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 11:05 AM   #153
choss
Registered Member

Update

Quick update:

Over the last few days I have added RO water by running a tube up from my RODI directly to the tank. Its a slow process but there was no way around it and at least I didn't have to lug buckets upstairs. Then I added salt - very slowly over time. I didn't want to add it all at once as I have read this can sometimes cause some issues with equipment.

Next step was programming my GHL Profilux 4. I can't say I have mastered much but so far I have connected the temperature probe, and hooked up 3 switches:

1. 2 heaters which will be controlled by the probe
2. My Tunze ATO, which is pumping water up from a holding tank in the room below
3. My Varios 6 pump which I am running at 100%

I have to say that the tank looks spectacular. The Reef Savvy looks substantial. The 24" depth is really amazing - gives the tank volume I haven't had in previous tanks. The glass is extremely clear. I'm glad I went low iron on three sides. The Ghost overflow is spectacular. Its just sleek and barely takes up any space in the tank.

So far, the tunze ATO is filling the tank without issue. I have noticed that with a tank this size, I can take out a decent amount of water before it comes on. On my 40 gallon tank, I take out a cup of water for feeding and the ATO comes on.

One thing I noticed about the bean animal overflow, is that it is very sensitive to the volume of water in the sump. I had it running dead silent but then added another 2.5 gallons to the sump. I then switched off the pump by accident and on restart I had the same issue as a few weeks ago, which was the primary siphon wasn't firing. So removing a bit of water fixed the issue and I now have it tuned perfectly with the gate valve and the ATO keeping the water at just the right level.

Finally, I can't say enough about how happy I am with the lighting for this tank. I have the 24" giesemann running a 250 Watt radium bulb, two blue plus T5s, one coral plus T5, and one fiji purple. but the addition of the Kessil's is where the lighting goes over the top. The shimmer of the combined fixtures is perfect. Right now I only have one 360WE angled in from the right but it's am amazing effect. Once I add the second one (currently on my 40 gallon tank) I think I will have the perfect combination of growth, shimmer, and LED pop for those late evening tank viewing sessions.

I need to get a good camera but for now here is a short iphone video - doesn't do the tank justice but its the best I could do for now.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Unread 02/21/2018, 12:02 PM   #154
AZReef13
Registered Member

This tank coninues to awaze me, glad to see it finally has water. Aquascape awesome.

How many MP's? great water movement.

Unread 02/21/2018, 09:57 PM   #155
Arkayology
Registered Member

The tank has water!

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 07:19 AM   #156
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
This tank coninues to awaze me, glad to see it finally has water. Aquascape awesome.

How many MP's? great water movement.
Right now a single MP40. I am planning on adding a second and two MP10s. I have the return pump at 100% so right now, with no corals, it seems to have pretty decent flow

Unread 02/22/2018, 10:32 AM   #157
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkayology View Post
The tank has water!
Yes it does😁 - thanks for hanging in there with this build!

Unread 02/22/2018, 09:23 PM   #158
Arkayology
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Yes it does😁 - thanks for hanging in there with this build!
I'm planning on doing similar, but can't right now. It allows me to reef through you!

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 05:51 PM   #159
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkayology View Post
I'm planning on doing similar, but can't right now. It allows me to reef through you!
Awesome. Well in that case I'll have to post some updates this weekend. I'm going to test out my son's new camera to hopefully capture how awesome the tank is looking right now. I'm sure I'll have a massive algae issue soon so I want to capture the pristine early stage tank while it lasts.

Unread 03/10/2018, 03:50 PM   #160
choss
Registered Member

Update

So having added about 15 lbs of live rock to my sump and display, I started ghost feeding the tank and taking measurements to see if the tank is cycling. I waited about a week and then fired up my skimmer.

RLSS R6i review:

I turned on the skimmer, dialed down the DC pump to the lowest setting, and got perfect foam. No adjustments needed, been running like a champ for about a week. And considering I'm only ghost feeding it has already managed to pull out a bit of gunk. Anyway, it is plug and play and extremely quiet. I'll revisit once the tank is stocked and I'm feeding heavier.

RLSS R6i by choerenz, on Flickr

Next I added Chaeto that I purchased from Algae Barn. They were a bit behind in their supply, so I had to wait about an extra week before I received delivery. It is really nice looking - clean, a very light but healthy looking green, and its now in the sump floating above the live rock which I have on a platform above the heaters.

rock in sump by choerenz, on Flickr

chaeto & rock by choerenz, on Flickr

Early in this build I mentioned a mistake I made in my manifold, and that I had wasted a nice union valve that I'd never use. But, I have found this valve to be really useful. You will see form my readings below, my salinity was a bit high in the first few days of running the tank. It occurred to me that the manifold is a perfect way to do emergency water changes. So I was able to quickly drain about 10 gallons of water and watched with amazement as the little osmolator pump was able to keep up replacing the water as i took out a gallon at a time.

I've also been using the manifold line to blow water through the refugium section where I am getting build up of detritus from the live rock. It works like a charm. I just turn the water flow on for a minute or two and blow all the gunk up and into the foam block that is separating my fuge chamber from the return pump.

manifold tube by choerenz, on Flickr

I've been testing my water and here are the readings so far:

water testing 3_10 by choerenz, on Flickr

I am not seeing much of a cycle. It could be because I have 2 liters of seasoned siporax in the sump, or maybe it is the live rock, but other than a very small rise in ammonia readings, and one nitrite blip, I'm not seeing any movement indicating a traditional cycle. So later today I will add my first fish, which is likely to be a clown fish that I added a few months back to my 40 gallon AIO tank. This clown has not yet really bonded with my resident clown, but they seem to now get along well enough.

Here is a list of other fish that I have in various tanks and also some wish list fish, that I would love some opinions on as to what order I should add them later. The ones in bold I have already in my holding tanks:

Ocellaris Clown fish
Starry Blenny (Salarias ramosus)
Yellow Watchman Golby
Square Tail Bristletooth Tang
Six Line Wrasse

Wish List
Chromis Damsels
Purple Tang
Flasher Wrasse
Purple & Yellow Wrasse
Fairy Wrasse
One or two smaller gobies

I suppose the real question here is whether I need to add the tangs at once (I plan to limit to two tangs) and whether I can add the six line wrasse at all. Maybe if its the last fish in?

Unread 03/11/2018, 07:10 PM   #161
choss
Registered Member

Its official - I have a fish tank

Yesterday I added the first resident to the Reef Savvy. This was a rescue clown fish that I found on the site Next Door. A family had him in a small tank with a bunch of other fish. I think he could be a Picasso Ocellaris but I'm not 100% sure. He's been living in my 40 gallon AIO tank but hasn't yet really bonded with my original Ocellaris Clown so I thought he could establish himself in the new tank as resident #1.

Here are a few more pictures

Clown by large island 2 by choerenz, on Flickr

clown by large island by choerenz, on Flickr

Clown front view by choerenz, on Flickr

Clown turning by choerenz, on Flickr

clown back turning by choerenz, on Flickr

Clown close up by choerenz, on Flickr

and one last closeup....

Clown1 by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 03/12/2018, 07:29 AM   #162
AZReef13
Registered Member

Great Model, all mine seem to run and hide everytime camera comes out. Another possiblty he could be a True Percula?

Unread 03/12/2018, 08:37 AM   #163
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Great Model, all mine seem to run and hide everytime camera comes out. Another possiblty he could be a True Percula?
Yeah he was very cooperative. And yes, I think he is a Percula. I put his pic up for an ID and that is what came back. I wonder if he will be ok pairing with an Ocellaris? That is what I have planned but I can still change things up. I have several clown in various tanks so I have some options.

Unread 03/13/2018, 09:08 AM   #164
AZReef13
Registered Member

Pair Him up with an Ocellaris might work. I would just make sure there was a size difference? You think one of those designer ones? How about a Black Storm?

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:38 AM   #165
choss
Registered Member

I received an ID on another forum yesterday, that I think is dead on. He's an onyx percula clown.

Unread 03/16/2018, 07:56 AM   #166
AZReef13
Registered Member

Yes Onyx would be the current name used these days...

Have you thought about his new partner yet? Getting a anemone for him? When will you start adding Coral

Unread 04/04/2018, 06:00 AM   #167
choss
Registered Member

Update

I've been taking it slow but today I added a companion for the clown fish. Here is a late evening photo. Enjoy.

Fire Shrimp by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 04/04/2018, 03:29 PM   #168
AZReef13
Registered Member

Another great model....

Unread 04/05/2018, 05:36 AM   #169
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Another great model....
yes they are very cooperative. He's now hiding behind a large rock so much harder to shoot.

Unread 04/13/2018, 07:08 AM   #170
choss
Registered Member

A few Pics

I've added the first few frags and a few more inhabitants to the new tank. Here are a few pics.

upside down hermit by choerenz, on Flickr

Zoa close up by choerenz, on Flickr

green zoa close up by choerenz, on Flickr

And a FTS

FTS 2 by choerenz, on Flickr

Unread 04/30/2018, 08:02 PM   #171
choss
Registered Member

Update

Here is a short video to show some nice progress for the tank. I hope you enjoy (watch 1080p).

Last edited by choss; 05/01/2018 at 07:04 AM.
Unread 04/30/2018, 08:20 PM   #172
drtrash
Registered Member

I see you added a UV, what size and what pump runs it? Tank looking good

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 08:38 PM   #173
drtrash
Registered Member

How much meso flakes did you use?

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 09:05 PM   #174
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Looking good congrats on getting the tank wet.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 06:11 AM   #175
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
I see you added a UV, what size and what pump runs it? Tank looking good
No not running UV. Where did you think you saw a UV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
How much meso flakes did you use?
2 bags. Its great stuff. I could probably use another 1/2 bag but I'm happy with the depth in general.