Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Marineland
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/03/2015, 07:04 PM   #1
AugustWest
Premium Member

Rimless 93 Gallon Cube Tanks Issues?

Just wondering if you guys have acknowledged any issues with your Rimless 93 Gallon Cubes?

I have heard of a few issues of problems with the silicone on these tanks and also a problem with them failing (leaking)

I have just purchased one but have not had a chance to leak test it yet.

Thanks

AugustWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2015, 04:54 AM   #2
johnike
Moved On

Hello Marineland, same question.
I have a new 93 sitting here ready to go.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2015, 10:36 AM   #3
AugustWest
Premium Member

Not touching this one with a 10 foot pole? Would appreciate a response at least. Thank you

AugustWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2015, 10:03 AM   #4
n8n
Registered Member

I've had mine up since November 2014 and the only real regret/problems I've had out of it is the fact that the MarineLand stand is so short and tiny. I have everything I really need in the stand, but its a huge pain to even change filter socks it is so tight. No problem so far with any kind of leaking. If you are overly concerned about it, you can always get a tub of clear silicon and add a few more layers of silicon.

n8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Its not the 93 gallon rimless cube, but I do have have their 60 w/ corner overflow that has been set up for a few weeks now besides the overflow/sump (having a custom acrylic 20x20x15 made). I Just noticed this yesterday when cleaning the glass.

Its a cluster of micro-bubbles in the silicone joint where the glass panes are mated. Its on both top corners where the front pane meets the side panes, spanning down from the top lip about 1-1/2" in length and in some places almost as thick as the 3/8" pane itself.

I came across this thread because I am obviously concerned; ESPECIALLY given the tank is rim-less/frame-less. (My first) Anything to be worried about?.. The "wet" inside seam looks alright and nothing is leaking as of today. lol! Its pretty unsightly when the LED's are ramped up and now I know its there I cant stop noticing it.

It is set level on there Ventura stand and I agree it could be a tad taller.

Email was sent to MarineLand as well. If I do not hear back from them by Tuesday I will give them a call and inquire about both the 60 and 93.

Contact info for those needing off their site:

800-322-1266

7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday.

*** If you have a warranty issue, please contact our Customer Service Team about your product issue and how to best handle your problem. Warranty returns should be sent to Marineland Online Returns, 4015 Lakeview Corporate Dr., Edwardsville, IL 62025, but you must call before sending in your product in order to get authorization and further directions.***

(sorry for the sideways pics)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joint 1.jpg (46.9 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg joint.jpg (43.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpeg tank.jpeg (90.7 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Joeb1983; 08/08/2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Corrected some things and added pic
Joeb1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Pacecar83
Registered Member

I have had my 93 cube set up for almost a year straight since it was moved and about 6 additional months before the take down/move, no issues.

I will look today if I have any microbubles, I remember some seam imperfections but nothing that caused me to be alarmed.

It has been a great tank so far, it resides on a custom stand and was leveled before water was added.

Pacecar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2015, 03:25 PM   #7
johnike
Moved On

Mine's been wet for a couple of weeks now, and I'm nothing but happy with it so far.

Unread 09/30/2015, 07:23 AM   #8
Pacecar83
Registered Member

I looked at my seams last night and there are small bubbles at the top and even at the bottom of the seam where the edge of one pane meets the face of the next.

However, all the joints have silicone on the inside all the way around (I noticed the inside silicone work seemed very professional when I purchased the tank). It looked like there was even a thin coating on the outside of the joints.

I see no reason to be worried in my case. I am more worried about the stand or floor collapsing.

Will be curious to hear what you end up doing.

Pacecar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2015, 07:35 AM   #9
shred5
Registered Member

Yea I hat to toss one out, It had bubbles in the seams. I was also talking on another forum with a guy who had a bad one and had two replacements that were the same. Actually there are allot of people I have hear of with the issue once I had mine. A few went ahead and used the tank anyway because Marineland told them it was ok which makes no sense if they are replacing others.. They said the bubbles went away after a while but no way I am trusting that. I also wonder since they go away how many people have had issues and didn't even know it because when you first fill up a tank they usually have micro bubbles or it is on a back seam..

Mine not only had the micro bubbles in it the seams were horrible with glue all over and the pains of glass were not even straight.

The micro bubbles dont show up till you put water in the tank but I looked at a few Marineland tanks and the glue is horrible so I just bought a Aqueon tank and their is a huge difference in quality with the glue...

I had to toss mine because it was drilled and no warranty.

Also the 93 stand that comes with them is garbage. It is too low for a reef and the bottom plywood is too thin.

Joeb1983 that is exactly what it looks like but yours is not as bad. I think on the 93 it is worse because they are bigger and the joints are stretched down farther because of the extra weight. mine ran from top to bottom on all seams. Eventually those bubbles must fill with water because they go away from what I have seen from others.

I do not think the concern is it leaking it is the seam actually letting loose. The glue is not supposed to do that.

Stinks because they are one of the few who makes cubes without having to buy custom but there is no way after that I will ever buy another aquarium from them except maybe smaller size and I even doubt that.

Last edited by shred5; 09/30/2015 at 07:57 AM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2015, 04:14 PM   #10
MitchSutherland
Registered Member

I actually have a 60 gallon rimless. I had it up for about two weeks. No bubbles at first, and then they appeared. I recently drained the tank and it sat a couple days. The bubbles are now gone. So it must be just the pressure pushing on the glass. Just my two cents.

MitchSutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 08:45 AM   #11
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm not sure if the sealant has too much elasticity our it's a fault in the joining process, but either way it's annoying to know you potentially have a time-bomb on your hands...

It's a good thing MarineLand is so much help though........

Unread 11/22/2015, 08:51 AM   #12
Joeb1983
Registered Member

I agree 100% with the not so much a leak worry, but rather a random while your at work/vacation seam failure.

Unread 11/22/2015, 09:01 AM   #13
johnike
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb1983 View Post

It's a good thing MarineLand is so much help though........
You're supposed to type that in comic sans font because we have no sarcasm smiley.

Unread 11/22/2015, 10:08 AM   #14
shred5
Registered Member

Omg I just went back a reread my post.. I hate replying from a phone. I have friends that can type on them like they have a keyboard.

MY 93 the glass pains were not even lined up, one of the sides was glued at a angle.
I was looking at the Marineland tanks vrs. AGA/Aqueon vrs. Deep Blue and the Marineland are far worse and the cheapest in price. Just looking at the glue/seams and you can see the difference. Aqueon has nice clean straight seams where the some of Marineland look like they were done by a child trying to stay in the lines. Glue all over the glass, glue seeping out the outer edge.

Unread 11/22/2015, 04:07 PM   #15
johnike
Moved On

There was indeed silicone slopped all over the place inside and out on mine.

Unread 11/23/2015, 08:31 AM   #16
Joeb1983
Registered Member

I bought a close-out, AquaTop, rim-less 18" cube off of eBay for my office.

I never heard of AquaTop before and I was very nervous about another rimless seeing what I'm dealing with on this MarineLand 60.

It came in and I inspected every seem thoroughly with a LED pen light.

I was amazed! The panes where even, the joints flawless and the sealant was tighter thinner and cleaner. Very impressed and its proof it can be done.

Unread 11/30/2015, 11:46 PM   #17
GT3000XX
Registered Member

Unhappy Marinland

I replaced my aquarium with a new one due to scratches on the old one. After tearing down and setting up the new one I noticed a line of bubbles in the seam. I took photos and got in touch with Marineland. After providing the photos,receipt and a photo of the build sticker they immediately authorized replacement with my LFS. The only PITA was having to go through the tear down again. I agree their quality seems to have gone down. I have been in the hobby 30+ years and have never seen such sloppy and lack of quality control work.

Last edited by GT3000XX; 05/01/2016 at 07:30 AM.
GT3000XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 08:16 AM   #18
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3000XX View Post
I replaced my aquarium with a new one due to scratches on the old one. After tearing down and setting up the new one I noticed a line of bubbles in the seam. I took photos and got in touch with Marineland. After providing the photos,receipt and a photo of the build sticker they immediately authorized replacement with my LFS. The only PITA was having to go through the tear down again. I agree their quality seems to have gone down. I have been in the hobby 30+ years and have never seen such sloppy and lack of quality control work.
The only problem is I know someone who got two replacements and both replacements had the same issue.

Unread 12/01/2015, 08:43 AM   #19
GT3000XX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
The only problem is I know someone who got two replacements and both replacements had the same issue.
That would tick me off. I think at that point I would expect some sort of compensation for my time and trouble!

Unread 12/01/2015, 08:59 AM   #20
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3000XX View Post
That would tick me off. I think at that point I would expect some sort of compensation for my time and trouble!
Yea...
Talk about ticked:
I was out tank and stand because I had mine drilled and it voided warranty.
I was so angry I just put it out by the road.

I thought it was just the 93 but I see others have the issues too now.

Unread 12/01/2015, 12:44 PM   #21
Joeb1983
Registered Member

LOL! So far its been 6 for 6 that has seam issues for me!

The one I have currently is the "best" of the bunch.

Tank 1 (original): Micro bubbles in the seams. Reason for inquiry to MarineLand. (Emailed first, no response so I called) Informed its bad/needs replaced after supplying pictures. (Was hoping for "its only cosmetic").

Tank 2 (replacement from the place of purchase via RMA w/ MarineLand): Same exact problem. Same manufacture date by the same individual. Email sent off to MarineLand explaining such. In limbo thereafter. Same between my place of purchase and MarineLand.

Tank 3 (at another LFS/dry display): Micro bubbles in seams yet again. (starting to think its normal) Another email sent and phone call to MarineLand for a status update. No reply.

Tanks 4, 5 & 6 (place of purchase has 3 come in) ALL have the same issue, some even worse than mine.

Apparently MarineLand contacted my LFS and said they are addressing the issue and would send out bubble free tank...

That was months ago and we haven't heard a word.

Last edited by Joeb1983; 12/01/2015 at 01:33 PM.
Unread 12/01/2015, 12:51 PM   #22
GT3000XX
Registered Member

Wow! Sorry to hear that.

Unread 12/01/2015, 01:08 PM   #23
Joeb1983
Registered Member

Yeah, its very frustrating to say the least. I feel like their way of handling it is to string you along until you just give up.

It really trips me out when I perform water changes.

The micro-bubble "trails" grow as much as 3 times in length when taking water out and shrinks back to about 2-3" from the top when water is added.

I'm keeping my eye on it and I know its a gamble. Some people say theirs has been like it for years with no issues and others have come home to a disaster.

Last edited by Joeb1983; 12/01/2015 at 01:35 PM.
Unread 12/01/2015, 01:39 PM   #24
GT3000XX
Registered Member

Be sure and keep records of your contacts with them. I only communicate via E-mail so I have a record. If your aquarium should start to leak you will have ammunition to make a claim.

Unread 12/16/2015, 05:54 PM   #25
swiftvision
Registered Member

My 93....after leak test. It's going back to get replaced.....fingers crossed.

Current Tank Info: 8 Gallon Nano Reef and custom 100G cube reef
swiftvision is offline   Reply With Quote