Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2020, 08:12 PM   #1
mtlreeffreak
Registered Member

input.. setting up an 800 Gallon Fish only.

Hey Guys

setting up an 800 Gallon total system with 10 foot display and 42" Width

Love to get your input on fish recommendations

thanks!

mtlreeffreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2020, 12:06 PM   #2
yakfishin
Registered Member

The size of the aquarium sure isn't limiting what you can stick in there much. I saw a beautiful Miniatus grouper that would have been great in a tank like that. You could also do one of the larger species of moray. Are you more into the predatory aggressive fish or do you want more peaceful fish like angelfish, butterfly fish and such?

yakfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2020, 02:53 PM   #3
wsboyette
Registered Member

If I had a tank that large I would keep large angels, puffers, groupers, and schools of schooling fishes....

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2020, 10:06 PM   #4
mtlreeffreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsboyette View Post
If I had a tank that large I would keep large angels, puffers, groupers, and schools of schooling fishes....

thats EXACTLY what i want!

give me ideas please!

especially schooling fish!

Unread 10/27/2020, 08:58 AM   #5
yakfishin
Registered Member

I have never had any schooling fish, but I know that Chromis and Anthias seem to be popular for schools. But those are not really large fish, so you are limited to the other fish you could have in there to being either smaller or peaceful, something like a grouper would use them as a food source. But you could have the schooling fish, and then have angelfish, tangs, butterfly fish, some of the wrasses, a peaceful trigger fish species and others. It would make an awesome setup.

yakfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2020, 10:41 PM   #6
Fiish
Registered Member

If you are going to configure a tank of these dimensions you should invest in a good circulation system and a powerful skimmer. Regarding the choice of fish, I will always choose angelfishes, also some anthias will look good in that space, and I'm sure you will want tangs, so you must take into account the circulation, keep us informed.

Unread 10/29/2020, 09:36 PM   #7
mtlreeffreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiish View Post
If you are going to configure a tank of these dimensions you should invest in a good circulation system and a powerful skimmer. Regarding the choice of fish, I will always choose angelfishes, also some anthias will look good in that space, and I'm sure you will want tangs, so you must take into account the circulation, keep us informed.
i have 4 mp60s
and 3 mp40s

my skimmer is a bubble king 300

Unread 10/31/2020, 07:45 PM   #8
wsboyette
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlreeffreak View Post
thats EXACTLY what i want!

give me ideas please!

especially schooling fish!
I would agree that schooling fish such as anthias would be too small to keep in a tank with a grouper, so would leave the groupers alone. But I would like to have a couple of porcupine puffers, some angels, maybe a couple of butterflies, a couple of hippo tangs - they might get along with the smaller schooling fish (check the fish compatibility chart). If your tank is a FOWLR with a healthy copepod population, you could also keep some dragonets......

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Fish-Only With Dry Rock, Filtration: Aquamaxx HOB Filter/Skimmer & Aqua-Tech 30-60 300 GPH HOB Motor Filter, Livestock: Coral Beauty and Maroon Clown
wsboyette is offline   Reply With Quote