Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Ardeus
Registered Member

How to pair diamond goby / bicolor blenny

I have 1 specimen of each of these 2 species in a 400 litre tank.

I don't know their genders and I haven't found any reliable information about how to pair these 2 species.

As I live 2 hours away from the fish shop, it will be difficult to quickly return any fish I purchase if things go south.

Does anyone knows if these species change sex through their lives or how to distinguish males from females?

Ardeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 12:13 PM   #2
ichthyogeek
Registered Member

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/top...iamond-gobies/

Turns out that diamond gobies are synchronous hermaphrodites :P . So just buy another and you should be fine? You might also want to buy a goby that is significantly smaller than the one you currently have (helps with most hermaphroditic fish).

As for the bicolor blennies...from what I've read, they get super aggressive around each other UNLESS they're a pair. Your best bet would be again, to buy one or two smaller fish and cross your fingers.

Back after a 5 year hiatus.
ichthyogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Ardeus
Registered Member

Thks. I will give it a try then.

Unread 07/31/2017, 07:56 AM   #4
ginpang
Registered Member

I'm 0 for 3 on bicolor blennies .
I've tried big colourful with streamers ( fish A) with little rounder face without streamers . (B)

I've tried that same large colourful with streamers dot on dorsal fin ( A) and one without. (C)
And the last one I tried medium one with dot o dorsal fin ( B) with small all black one.(D)

The first try big one ( A) stressed the other one ( B) so much it was jammed in a hole and never came out had to feed it with seringue / dropper. Had to separate them within a week. The big one was stressing every other fish also.

The second try (A) made ( C) jump out.

I gave that big one ( A) to a friend and tried recently (B) with (D) small black one . The results were similar to the first try .

I put D in a different tank and turned half yellow . So. I no longer think colour is a dependable parameter. As I've read stressed juvenile males take on female coloration for protection from other adult males.

So the next attempt , if there is any would be a ginormous black fish and a tiny very colourful fish , might be the best combination.
Though I know @Throewer had a disappointing experience trying to pair also.

My advice would be have a few tanks running to be able to split them up within a few hours if things go bad.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2017, 08:11 AM   #5
Ardeus
Registered Member

Thks for sharing the experience. Lets don't and say we did.