Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2017, 09:03 PM   #1
matt 76
Reefing is an addiction!

New pump for supermarin 250

So I have been running a 110 volt pump on my supermarin 250 and today I received my new D.C. Pump. It is the rd3 speedy 1500.
So I put the pump in and didn't touch the level adjustment tube.
The pump is running at 50 watts, max power, I have 6" of foam in the skimmer.
Like I said I pulled one pump and added the other touching nothing else.
This pump seems way underpowered for this skimmer. I adjusted the water level and am running it at 38 watts right now. It just doesn't seem as powerful.
What are the sweet spot settings on this? The Venturi has no adjustment, the old one you could screw in and out. Is this pump of the same quality?

Current Tank Info: 250 DD
matt 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Marco@GHLUSA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt 76 View Post
So I have been running a 110 volt pump on my supermarin 250 and today I received my new D.C. Pump. It is the rd3 speedy 1500.

So I put the pump in and didn't touch the level adjustment tube.

The pump is running at 50 watts, max power, I have 6" of foam in the skimmer.

Like I said I pulled one pump and added the other touching nothing else.

This pump seems way underpowered for this skimmer. I adjusted the water level and am running it at 38 watts right now. It just doesn't seem as powerful.

What are the sweet spot settings on this? The Venturi has no adjustment, the old one you could screw in and out. Is this pump of the same quality?

Which model number pump did you purchase?

While the RD3's are replacements, and can be retro'd to the older bodies, you may have to set the skimmer in a bit more water depth.
Scott is traveling Wednesday morning however may chime in a bit later after getting settled..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marco@GHLUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 06:51 AM   #3
matt 76
Reefing is an addiction!

I purchased the 2500 D.C. Pump for the supermarin 250. Come to find out after I paid for the rd3 2500, it has been replaced by a smaller pump? It is the rd3 speedy 1500 that I received. The label on it states that it is for the supermarin 250. The D.C. pump on older super Marin 250 skimmers has been the rd3 speedy 2500. It pulls more air and watts and has an adjustable volute on the pump.

Do I need to run the pump at full power to get the same performance?
It defeats the purpose of having a controllable pump if it needs to be ran at 100%. Ideally you would think the pump would run at say 35 watts and perform well.

Anyway I turned it up to 40 watts this morning and I may have to mess with the water level again later after I see how much skimmate it produced today.

Any recommendations on water level in the sump and ideal watts on the controller much appreciated and I can try that too.

Unread 08/23/2017, 11:20 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

The old AC pump flowed more water (but a tad less air) than the RD3 pump but the newer Supermarin skimmers had some design changes to accommodate the RD3 so that the level was higher in the body with the RD3 pump. The RD3 has a higher air to water ratio than the old Red Dragon you replaced and the fact that the water flow is less than you are used to is why the level inside the body is lower. You're going to want to raise the water level in the sump or close the wedge pipe some to get the water level up inside the body further. You're also going to want to drop the wattage to around 38-42 watts and adjust the water level inside the body around that. Also keep in mind that it will take a few days for the skimmer to completely settle down (up to a week if the skimmer has been dry) so things will change a bit as the pump and skimmer break back in.

With regards to water level recommendations for the sump, it's kind of tough because the amount of waste in the water, salinity etc all impact the optimal level but I would suggest starting at 9" and raising it from there if needed. Use your wedge pipe to fine tune the level inside the skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 02:52 PM   #5
ReefClownMIA
RC Sponsor

Hi Matt - just checking in to see how things were going..

Current Tank Info: RS Reefer 450
ReefClownMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 03:44 PM   #6
matt 76
Reefing is an addiction!

It seems to be working at 40 watts.