Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2017, 08:18 AM   #1
BigT75
Registered Member

Magnets

Hey guys I am getting more n more into buying frags who isn’t lol anyways I want a frag rack gonna make one from a egg crate and want it attached to the side glass with magnets can I use any magnets from say lowes or Home Depot ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigT75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 11:02 AM   #2
ssky
Registered Member

I seen people use magfloats to hold the egg crates

ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 11:15 AM   #3
jcgso
Saltwater Addict

Not for inside the tank. Has to be coated/waterproof. You can find them on Amazon.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL reef
jcgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 12:16 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Most Ceramic/Ferrite magnets can be used in water without issue without any coating applied to them..

The same cannot be said for rare earth/neodymium magnets..

Ferrite/ceramic based magnets are typically black in color without any plating,etc.. neodymium magnets are usually nickel plated (shiny chrome type look) or similar.

Unread 09/22/2017, 12:21 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

I get mine from www.kjmagnetics.com They have them in a multitude of sizes and strengths, both bare metal and plastic coated. I got the plastic coated ones and they work like a charm.

hth

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 01:43 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

+1 for KJ

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Thomas Ng617
Registered Member

I just made a frag rack out of a couple magnets that I picked up from the local hardware store and used a acrylic piece that was part of a little shelf thing

Thomas Ng617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 08:08 AM   #8
Thomas Ng617
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ng617 View Post
I just made a frag rack out of a couple magnets that I picked up from the local hardware store and used a acrylic piece that was part of a little shelf thing

And oh by the way the magnets I bought were plastic coated except for one side which I used the silicone to cover and stick to the acrylic sheet that I have

Thomas Ng617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Zephrant
Premium Member

Might be able to coat them in 5 minute epoxy too. I'm thinking that a little epoxy in a slightly oversized hole, then cover the magnet too. Black epoxy might look cool.

Looks like Plastidip may be aquarium safe too, anyone tried it? I ask because I have a stack of neodymium right here that would be convenient to use.

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Zephrant
Premium Member

144 ceramic magnets, about 9 cents each: https://www.amazon.com/Nesha-Ceramic.../dp/B01CPMY89E

vs. 10 plastic magnets at $1.65 each: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=164

I'll try the epoxy first, then the ceramic ones at that price.

I see notes in the reviews that the ceramic ones are not very strong, might be an issue for a frag rack.

Unread 10/05/2017, 06:14 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

3-4 lb. of pull is unlikely to be sufficient.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 02:02 PM   #12
Webmanny
Registered Member

Agree with the post above. I have done exactly what you are trying to do with great success. However, I used N52 20mm magnets, which have a pull of 19 pounds each. I just got some epoxy and coated them. No issues in several years that I had that rack.

This is a photo of the rack or a portion of it.

I even did some individual ones that I wanted to have the flexibility to move up or down to adjust for the light need.

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 02:03 PM   #13
Webmanny
Registered Member

Another view of the rack:

My N=1 study of me, validated by me, and supported by completely anecdotal evidence, states that my advice is 100% correct, most of the time.
Webmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 07:46 PM   #14
jamie1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephrant View Post
144 ceramic magnets, about 9 cents each: https://www.amazon.com/Nesha-Ceramic.../dp/B01CPMY89E

vs. 10 plastic magnets at $1.65 each: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=164

I'll try the epoxy first, then the ceramic ones at that price.

I see notes in the reviews that the ceramic ones are not very strong, might be an issue for a frag rack.
Those ceramic ones won't hold anything nor do they even need to be coated with anything. That is the same type of raw magnet that pump impellers are made of. They do not rust or corrode. Not in the same class as neodymium magnets which are super strong and will rust or corrode when not coated with something.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2017, 08:22 PM   #15
Zephrant
Premium Member

Good info, thanks- Looks like the neodymium ones, coated somehow are the best plan.