Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/01/2009, 12:01 AM   #26
eznet2u
Registered Member

OMG!!!

I love this. I think I might try one on my Nano. Very thought out and concise write up. Thanks.

Unread 03/01/2009, 12:03 AM   #27
Curve
Registered Member

Do you think instead of 2 inches between each led you could go to 3" and get more coverage??

Current Tank Info: 210 aggresive, 3 gallon led build
Unread 03/01/2009, 12:04 AM   #28
hijinks
Registered Member

how long has it been running on your tank.. and seen better growth/same or seems slower?

The pics look great.. just wondering about growth

Unread 03/01/2009, 12:11 AM   #29
Soundwave
Registered Member

Curve: if these were spaced any further, they might create the dreaded spotlight effect on their own. I didn't want noticeable color separation.

hijinks: It's been a whole 3 days. Hard to tell what is going to happen. Hopefully, though, It'll be good.

Unread 03/01/2009, 12:12 AM   #30
hijinks
Registered Member

great.. i'll keep my eyes out for posts on what you think

Unread 03/01/2009, 12:33 AM   #31
Curve
Registered Member

I guess the spacing would depend on how high you were mounting it above the surface. I will be trying this soon enough.

Unread 03/01/2009, 01:26 AM   #32
reefer_man_mike
Registered Member

the set up you created is comparable to 150 watt MH, 250 watt mh, or 400 watt mh? what are optics?

Unread 03/01/2009, 01:38 AM   #33
Soundwave
Registered Member

It's kinda in the middle, mike. The output is better than a 175 MH but not as high as a 250. Optics are lenses that focus the light from the LEDs.

Unread 03/01/2009, 02:02 AM   #34
dogstar74
Premium Member

Soundwave, You definately rock. I just hope these lights can grow the corals as well as the MH's have for so many years.

I was wondering if you could clarify for me...
The link you posted to the Cree white LEDs on stars, would that be the XR-E stars?
http://www.ledsupply.com/creexre.php

And if those are the ones you used, why not go with the MC-E stars? Cost difference aside. They are three times the lumens. There fore, could you not get away with using less? And since the blues in the spectrum are mainly to give POP and wow to the colors in the tank, and have little to do with the growth of corals, you could still use the royals XR-Es like you did.

Perhaps the MC-E LEDs would be better for someone with a deeper tank. Say, 24 to 30 inches?

Again, this is a great writeup, and I know that ripples will be felt in the aquarium world not seen since the days of the DIY Luminarc reflector plans hit the net.

Cheers,
Aaron

Current Tank Info: 10 gallon nano with ATS
Unread 03/01/2009, 03:27 AM   #35
g8gxp
Registered Member

I copied this from another forum - comparison between the XRE and the MCE:

the MC-E on the other hand is FOUR of these led in a single package.
pos: more brightness but almost no size increase (of head)
neg:
1st: four times the current needed
2nd: four times the heat produced
3rd: much wider beam and pretty nothing to fight that
4th: other driver needed, next to impossible to drive it with full power from a single cell

Unread 03/01/2009, 06:31 AM   #36
madadi
ReefOG

if someone can figure out how to program dimer settings for sun set and sun rise im definitely going to give this a try.

LETS TRADE YUMAS

Current Tank Info: Glass box.
Unread 03/01/2009, 07:23 AM   #37
Soundwave
Registered Member

dogstar: The MCE is a little complicated and driving it would be a nightmare all its own. The ones I am using are the XR-E models. I can't believe I forgot to add that in there.

madadi: I have an acquaintance who is working on that...

Unread 03/01/2009, 07:26 AM   #38
Soundwave
Registered Member

One side note, also. The blues are on their own power supply which allows you to run them as actinics:

Unread 03/01/2009, 07:45 AM   #39
bebereef
Registered Member

You make my mouth watering!

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:10 AM   #40
KKamy
Registered Member

Isn't there a way to wire this up in both series and parallel? Right now, if you have one of those LEDs burn out, won't that make the whole string go out?

Of course that would sure bring your attention to it faster I imagine if only one LED goes out, it might not be very noticeable to the eye (though your corals might notice).

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:11 AM   #41
EBOLII
Registered Member

what about expansion? say 72'L or 96'L and 24"w or 30"w is it safe to add more LEDS? How do you compute the addition or subtraction?

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:15 AM   #42
KKamy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EBOLII
what about expansion? say 72'L or 96'L and 24"w or 30"w is it safe to add more LEDS? How do you compute the addition or subtraction?
EBOLII, lot of good info on power issues over on http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/in...p?showforum=25

They have a very active forum, especially in the LED lighting arena.

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:22 AM   #43
coralfragger101
Gone Postal

This is great.

I have (cough) several of the PFO Solaris units that will now no longer be serviced by PFO.

I'm wondering if I could basically rebuild them using the nice looking case. I recently had someone put a PAR meter on one of my units and I wasn't pulling the kind of PAR shown in this thread.

Current Tank Info: NONE - Sold - Can't afford it right now!
Unread 03/01/2009, 09:25 AM   #44
dtech
Registered Member

So if I have understood right ( and please correct me if I'm wrong I'm still learning LED stuff) If I use lenses the pPAR goes up but I lose some coverage, so for a tank that will be 30x30x30 I would need to use more rows oF LED's to get the even coverage as shown without, but I would get the PAR numbers up to around a 400w halide that would be needed for such a deep tank?
(sorry for the long question)

Unread 03/01/2009, 09:30 AM   #45
Bamm Bamm
Saltwater Guru

Gret Writeup..

Current Tank Info: 60g cube
Unread 03/01/2009, 09:42 AM   #46
skeet103
Registered Member

Great write-up, The best one I have seen on this subject to date!

A follow up question to Dtech, when using optics would I want to mount the LED's closer together (>2") since I am now focusing the beam?

Also I do not believe in your DIY it says you spaced out your LED's 2" but someone commented on it, therefore can I clarify it is in fact 2" and if so is that a measurement from Actual LED to LED or the space between each edge of star mount? ( I assume it is LED to LED)

Cheers and thanks again for a great step by step DIY on LED's

Unread 03/01/2009, 10:10 AM   #47
wsukid12
Registered Member

great write up man i love it.
I would love to do something like this for my nano and was wondering if you could tell me if this light would work, dont mean to hijack your thread.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-BLUE-LED-A...742.m153.l1262

Unread 03/01/2009, 10:23 AM   #48
troylee
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by madadi
if someone can figure out how to program dimer settings for sun set and sun rise im definitely going to give this a try.
i am currently running a similiar set up for my moon light's which contain a driver and you can program it off your pc. i have a string with 16pod's on it each module if you will contain 3led's a red,blue,green with those three colors you can actually change the mood from like 3.1million different colors some of you might have seen my diy mh setup with color changing moonlight's the led moon light's were all programmed by a friend at work for me who gave me the set up"i work for a sign shop UNLIMITED SUPPLY OF LEDS" lol!!!anyways he was showing me the dmx programmer you can buy online which allows you to have different presets for color changing temp changing and such also dimmable via a remote on the couch for crying out loud....everyone is defenitly onto something with this whole led thing but with the 3 colors red,green,blue you can dial in the temp rating from 3500k to probally well above 20k it's amazing as i played with mine turn all 3 on at one time and it's a crisp white to the eye looks like 14k who would of thought???????turn on red and green get gold looks like a full moon it's really wierd and truly amazing im gonna have to get the full info on my set up and will share with everyone interested...

Unread 03/01/2009, 12:20 PM   #49
Curve
Registered Member

He told us this in another thread. I'm sorry and I should of said that.

Quote:
Originally posted by skeet103
Great write-up, The best one I have seen on this subject to date!

A follow up question to Dtech, when using optics would I want to mount the LED's closer together (>2") since I am now focusing the beam?

Also I do not believe in your DIY it says you spaced out your LED's 2" but someone commented on it, therefore can I clarify it is in fact 2" and if so is that a measurement from Actual LED to LED or the space between each edge of star mount? ( I assume it is LED to LED)

Cheers and thanks again for a great step by step DIY on LED's

Unread 03/01/2009, 02:37 PM   #50
EBOLII
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KKamy
EBOLII, lot of good info on power issues over on http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=25

They have a very active forum, especially in the LED lighting arena.
You need pm me that link. will not work on open forum

Soundwave I was hoping to hear your response to my questions