Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2015, 06:16 PM   #6751
Vladec
Registered Member

P.s.

Last edited by Vladec; 05/14/2015 at 07:09 PM.
Vladec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2015, 06:45 AM   #6752
Jay_R
Registered Member

Hi All, taking a keen interest in this thread.

I do not have room for an algae scrubber, so was wondering if rigging up a submerged screen within the second section of my sump with adequate lighting would do the trick?

Does the algae need to be out of water - It seems to do very well submerged in my DT lol

Also, and finally - would a 24 hr photo period / alternate photo period to DT be preferred?

Current Tank Info: Juwel Trigon 190, Clearseal Astra sump, Maxspect Grye 150, AI Hydra, Bubble Magus 5.5 Skimmer and GFO reactor and Eheim 3000 return.
Jay_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2015, 08:31 PM   #6753
fishguy597
Registered Member

I need a little advice. I have had my ats up for a little over a month. I have harvested it three times. Everything appeared ok until my last harvest. Ever since then it seams to me that I am growing cyano with tufts of gha. On the edges I can see some air bubbles. My sump is starting to grow it in there too. I have a little on my sand bed that I have been fighting for a while but nothing to crazy. Should I put some Red slime remover in and treat the tank? Or just let it keep going the way it is?

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2015, 10:12 PM   #6754
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I think vladec is saying that to emulate the natural filtration of the ocean the closest, then a variety of scrubber growth would do that.

Quote:
I do not have room for an algae scrubber, so was wondering if rigging up a submerged screen within the second section of my sump with adequate lighting would do the trick? Does the algae need to be out of water
If underwater (i.e. the upflow versions) you will need bubbles to get rapid enough growth to filter. This is what generates the thin air/water turbulence layer that works best.

Quote:
growing cyano with tufts of gha
Sounds like a weak light.

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2015, 11:07 PM   #6755
Vladec
Registered Member

The main task is not the weight of algae - the main task is variety of species of algae!

Full spectrum light is required for the growth of different species of algae.

Different species of algae consume the different composition of micro and macro elements from seawater.

This allows you to align the performance of sea water.

Quote:
For example -
Makroalgae refugium stop the growth (algae stopped growing - hopefully you quadrupeds such cases) and algae scrubber continues to grow algae.

P.s. to SantaMonica - yesterday was going to register on your web site and discuss this issue - unfortunately I could not find the forum

Last edited by Vladec; 05/15/2015 at 11:51 PM.
Unread 05/16/2015, 04:56 AM   #6756
Crusinjimbo
Registered Member

Fishguy, do a three day lights out in the DT. It has worked better for me than any slime reducing product I have found. No cost or chemicals and very effective on Cyano.

13.5G EVO
Crusinjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 09:47 PM   #6757
thejuggernaut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladec View Post
The main task is not the weight of algae - the main task is variety of species of algae!

Full spectrum light is required for the growth of different species of algae.

Different species of algae consume the different composition of micro and macro elements from seawater.

This allows you to align the performance of sea water.

P.s. to SantaMonica - yesterday was going to register on your web site and discuss this issue - unfortunately I could not find the forum
I think the main reason everyone wants to grow the one variety is because it hangs on to the screen well, and because it allow a greater mass of algae to grow on the screen before harvesting. Some of the slimy or darker algae don't give good light penetration, and the roots will die causing the algae to break off. If you look back, people have spent allot of time finding a good lighting combo that will cause only this type to grow. It is the end goal.

As far as aligning to the ocean, that is a misnomer. If you wanted to do that you would have to have an olympic swimming pool sized tank and put one damsel in it. The amount of biomass we put in our tanks is many times higher than that of the ocean.

thejuggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2015, 11:11 PM   #6758
Vladec
Registered Member

Cleaning - and no problems!

If they do not grow algae on the grid (algae scrubber) - that will rise in the aquarium.

For more biomass - cultivate algae in the sump (hetomorfa and Caulerpa)

On the theme of the light spectrum -

P.s. Thanks for the link - SantaMonica - http://akva.by/forum/index.php/topic....html#msg49755

Last edited by Vladec; 05/16/2015 at 11:27 PM.
Unread 05/19/2015, 03:00 PM   #6759
Brummie
Registered Member

You don't necessarily get an algae problem in the tank if you happen to keep things that eat it. Also, an algae scrubber is a specific environment to encourage algal growth,. This environment may not be duplicated in the display, hence no algal growth. There's a plethora of reasons why algae may or may not take hold in a tank. Not least, the type of corals and their exudations. I'm 100% convinced that algae scrubbers need a bacterial filtration stage to eliminate unnatural sugar concentrations reaching the coral surface, which if unchecked reduces oxygen levels to the coral tissue.

Current Tank Info: 5x2x2 mixed reef, ats
Brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2015, 03:25 PM   #6760
driftin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
I'm 100% convinced that algae scrubbers need a bacterial filtration stage to eliminate unnatural sugar concentrations reaching the coral surface, which if unchecked reduces oxygen levels to the coral tissue.
Could you expand on that thought? Do you mean a separate bacterial filtration system of some type?

Current Tank Info: 70 gal custom room divider
driftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2015, 03:44 PM   #6761
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

This discussion on diversity really should be over in the advanced thread in my opinion. Never the less it is interesting. Most of what algae takes up and returns to the water column in the ocean is done by phytoplankton. The algae that we try to grow in a scrubber or a refugium makes up a ridiculously small percentage of the total ocean biomass. Of course bacteria and zooplankton should be also considered.

Lighting and other considerations can foster the growth of particular algae that has best adapted, in the past, to those conditions so there is room to play. Never the less, I would think that a basic algae scrubber tends to lean toward a monoculture, once it becomes mature.

As I see it, a scrubber is simply designed to bring down N and P and to help regulate pH. What algae that you try to shoot for is up to you but diversity, as it relates to chemistry and micronutrients in such small systems, are over shadowed by the makers of commercial salt producers.

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2015, 03:47 PM   #6762
Brummie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftin View Post
Could you expand on that thought? Do you mean a separate bacterial filtration system of some type?

There are certain effects on corals due to algal exudates. The primary one is that excessive sugars promote bacterial growth on the coral surface / water interface. This in turn consumes oxygen before it can reach the coral tissue, there is also a case that the unnatural sugar levels encourage pathogenic bacteria. It seems logical that anyone running a scrubber should try and reduce this sugar content by running a seperate bacterial filter. This may entail a simple trickle filter prior to discharge to the display or even one of Floyds scrubbers modified to promote bacterial degradation. The degradation process would probably eliminate carbon usage as the bacteria would consume lots of nasties.

Unread 05/19/2015, 03:52 PM   #6763
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

Hmmm I have never thought about that one before. It sounds worth exploring. Have you done any research on that idea?

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2015, 03:55 PM   #6764
Brummie
Registered Member

Yeah, I've been researching for 2 years. Ockhams razor

Unread 05/19/2015, 05:35 PM   #6765
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm 100% convinced that algae scrubbers need a bacterial filtration stage to eliminate unnatural sugar concentrations reaching the coral surface, which if unchecked reduces oxygen levels to the coral tissue.
Why wouldn't the bacteria in the rock do the trick?

Unread 05/19/2015, 10:30 PM   #6766
Brummie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post

By the time it's got to the rock, it's already got to the coral surface.

Unread 05/20/2015, 02:20 AM   #6767
Vladec
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree completely

I add - and in the sand .

Unread 05/20/2015, 04:24 AM   #6768
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
There are certain effects on corals due to algal exudates. The primary one is that excessive sugars promote bacterial growth on the coral surface / water interface. This in turn consumes oxygen before it can reach the coral tissue, there is also a case that the unnatural sugar levels encourage pathogenic bacteria. It seems logical that anyone running a scrubber should try and reduce this sugar content by running a seperate bacterial filter. This may entail a simple trickle filter prior to discharge to the display or even one of Floyds scrubbers modified to promote bacterial degradation. The degradation process would probably eliminate carbon usage as the bacteria would consume lots of nasties.
That's interesting. Do you think a bunch of dedicated rock or submerged bioballs inline after the scrubber would be a good way to go?

When the bacteria consume nasties, then what? Wouldn't just they get released when the bacteria dies? A skimmer is not part of my plan.

Last edited by salty joe; 05/20/2015 at 04:32 AM.
salty joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2015, 04:44 AM   #6769
Brummie
Registered Member

Quote:
That's interesting. Do you think a bunch of dedicated rock or submerged bioballs inline after the scrubber would be a good way to go?

When the bacteria consume nasties, then what? Wouldn't just they get released when the bacteria dies? A skimmer is not part of my plan.

Yes. To do any good it would need to be removable so that the bacteria could be cleaned away occasionally.

Unread 05/20/2015, 06:00 AM   #6770
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Well, bacteria grows on all surfaces, and this might include the algae itself. Since the algal may is constantly growing, the bacterial population could expand with the growth. When you clean the screen, you export the bacteria also.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2015, 06:02 AM   #6771
Vladec
Registered Member

Bioballs - in my opinion it is just a marketing ploy.

Unread 05/20/2015, 09:04 AM   #6772
Brummie
Registered Member

Algae Scrubber Basics

Encouraging algal surface bacteria may be a problem;

https://www.academia.edu/964483/Micr...raea_annularis

Quote:
Conclusion
Benthic reef algae have characteristic microbial commu-nities associated with their tissue. Very little is knownabout the role that this diversity plays in reef ecology, but there are likely both positive or facilitative interactions aswell as negative or antagonistic interactions between the microbiota and macrobiota.These microbial assemblages likely contribute to nutrient cycling and gas exchange andsubsequent growth and abundance of corals and algae but may also include several potential pathogens. The specific interactions between algae and the microbialworld have important implications for reef health. As reservoirs of coral pathogens, they have the potential to transmit disease across the reef, and as algae become increasingly abundant on coral reefs around the world, this may create a positive feedback loop whereby themore algae that are present, the greater the potential totransfer pathogens. In addition to their affects on corals,bacteria associated with benthic algae likely play a role in the proliferation of algae by fixing nitrogen, preventing herbivory, and possibly by exclusion of algal pathogens and competing primary producers. Photosynthetic Eukaryotes associated with algae, on the other hand, maybe competing with the host alga for nutrients, light andinorganic carbon. It remains to be seen how changes in environmental conditions such as reduced herbivory,increased eutrophication and elevated sea surface temperature influence the microbial communities associatedwith benthic reef algae and how these changes affect the physiology and success of algae on coral reefs around the world.

Unread 05/25/2015, 12:59 AM   #6773
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Photosynthesis Lighting Test

Duration: 4 months

Harvests: 13

Lights: 3-watt 660 nm (red) LEDs, 500 ma.

Photoperiod: 18 hours

Air bubble flow: 24 hours

Unread 05/25/2015, 06:05 AM   #6774
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
It seems logical that anyone running a scrubber should try and reduce this sugar content by running a seperate bacterial filter. This may entail a simple trickle filter prior to discharge to the display or even one of Floyds scrubbers modified to promote bacterial degradation.

Do you think any type of submerged filter would work? If so, maybe a couple separate ones to be cleaned alternately.

I ask because I have room for that and don't want to add a skimmer or more pumps or more plumbing etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
Duration: 4 months

Harvests: 13
Interesting that the lower power LEDs outperformed the higher power LEDs in the beginning.

Unread 05/25/2015, 12:32 PM   #6775
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure it was photoinhibited.