Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2015, 08:52 AM   #76
ReefWreak
Registered Member

If you're using an ATO, you can add it to your reservoir.

I top off manually, so I just add a tablespoon of the powder to my gallon topoff container. There is some controversy as to whether you're supposed to shake it up and let it settle and throw away any leftover powder, or whether you're supposed to shake it up and top off with the slurry. Both sides have been supported by professional/educational/institutional hobbyists, so you can't go wrong with either.

You don't really need a test kit. The biggest thing with kalk is that the pH of kalk is VERY high (>12), so you don't want to top off a ton at once. You only to do do a small amount at a time. I only evaporate a gallon ever 2-3 weeks, so since I only add a tiny bit of topoff water every day, I just have the tablespoon to gallon ratio, and it doesn't fluctuate my pH too much. If you evaporate a lot of water, so you're topping off large quantities of water at once, then you want to dial down the kalk:water ratio.

You should only dose if you are measuring for whatever you are dosing, but honestly, with kalkwasser, the downsides are minimal if you top off slowly/gradually/in small quantities. I think you would have to have very high evaporation for it to cause an issue with your tank (1/2 a gallon a day in a biocube would be very high evap. IMO, though it seems pretty common for some of the other nano forum members). That's why I recommend reducing the amount of kalk powder you use if you are evaporating (and replacing) a lot of water daily.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 09:09 AM   #77
BarryV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post

I top off manually, so I just add a tablespoon of the powder to my gallon topoff container. There is some controversy as to whether you're supposed to shake it up and let it settle and throw away any leftover powder, or whether you're supposed to shake it up and top off with the slurry. Both sides have been supported by professional/educational/institutional hobbyists, so you can't go wrong with either.

You don't really need a test kit. The biggest thing with kalk is that the pH of kalk is VERY high (>12), so you don't want to top off a ton at once. You only to do do a small amount at a time. I only evaporate a gallon ever 2-3 weeks, so since I only add a tiny bit of topoff water every day, I just have the tablespoon to gallon ratio, and it doesn't fluctuate my pH too much. If you evaporate a lot of water, so you're topping off large quantities of water at once, then you want to dial down the kalk:water ratio.

You should only dose if you are measuring for whatever you are dosing, but honestly, with kalkwasser, the downsides are minimal if you top off slowly/gradually/in small quantities. I think you would have to have very high evaporation for it to cause an issue with your tank (1/2 a gallon a day in a biocube would be very high evap. IMO, though it seems pretty common for some of the other nano forum members). That's why I recommend reducing the amount of kalk powder you use if you are evaporating (and replacing) a lot of water daily.
Thanks for all the information. I manually top off my tank every morning, it only takes about
a cup of RO-DI water. Before I start dosing with anything I think I will wait for my new test kit.
This little town I live in I have to order most things online.
Thanks again,
Barry

BarryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 09:10 AM   #78
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
yup what he said

Quote:
Both sides have been supported by professional/educational/institutional hobbyists, so you can't go wrong with either.
Kinda like global warming. LOL. Though in this instance dosing either way is pretty much on equal footing where as GW could be our demise or such. LOL

Quote:
(1/2 a gallon a day in a biocube would be very high evap. IMO, though it seems pretty common for some of the other nano forum members). That's why I recommend reducing the amount of kalk powder you use if you are evaporating (and replacing) a lot of water daily.
Hey now you talking to me. HA HA. Now that the dry air is gone in my house from the heater I am down to around 1/4-1/2 gallon a day. Not the 1/2-3/4 gallons I was prone to lose in the very dry winter. I am on the VERY high end though and an outlier for sure.

My tank has not yet had enough of a swing in parameters to do my 2 part dosing so I have been considering kalk just to ensure stability myself.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2015, 09:16 AM   #79
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
yup what he said
Hey now you talking to me. HA HA. Now that the dry air is gone in my house from the heater I am down to around 1/4-1/2 gallon a day. Not the 1/2-3/4 gallons I was prone to lose in the very dry winter. I am on the VERY high end though and an outlier for sure.
Yep

Quote:
My tank has not yet had enough of a swing in parameters to do my 2 part dosing so I have been considering kalk just to ensure stability myself.
Yeah, for better or worse I couldn't keep up with my calcium/alk demand with how little I add daily (maybe a 4-8oz daily). I think I'll actually have to start cranking my daily 2 part dosing up as well as I start cranking my lights up. My acropora colors are looking badassed, I just need to work on growth, though in a nano, growth is secondary. I already should be fragging up my Stuber Stag since it's growing into Joe the Coral.

Unread 05/13/2015, 09:27 AM   #80
soulpatch
Registered Member

I have good color and I have been getting better color since dosing some fo the red sea color kit but my growth and PE is limited for what it should be in my SPS. The LPS and Acans are loving my tank and the zoas suddenly had a growth spurt but I am having trouble getting my SPS to play along. Guessing it is stability issue and I need to work on that.

Unread 05/17/2015, 07:31 AM   #81
BarryV
Registered Member

Just playing

Hi All,
Just playing with my Kodak brownie camera and took a couple
photos of some of my corals.
Barry

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (86.5 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Green Torch.jpg (69.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Green and Purple Frogspawn.jpg (63.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Duncan Coral.jpg (77.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Bird of paradise.jpg (69.3 KB, 98 views)
Unread 05/17/2015, 06:58 PM   #82
\Clownfish/
Saltwater Beginner

Amazing Barry! I can't wait till I go into sps coral

Unread 05/17/2015, 07:07 PM   #83
BarryV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Clownfish/ View Post
Amazing Barry! I can't wait till I go into sps coral
Thanks Clownfish.

Unread 06/01/2015, 05:36 PM   #84
BarryV
Registered Member

7 Months

Hi All,
My tank is 7 months old today.
Barry

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 month update.jpg (100.2 KB, 153 views)
Unread 06/01/2015, 08:28 PM   #85
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Very nice! Love the sun corals, and you're able to keep them fed without algae too, awesome.

Unread 06/02/2015, 06:16 AM   #86
BarryV
Registered Member

Quote:
Very nice! Love the sun corals, and you're able to keep them fed without algae too, awesome.
No problem with algae so far, the sun coral eat like a pig almost everyday.
Barry

Unread 06/02/2015, 02:29 PM   #87
\Clownfish/
Saltwater Beginner

Beautiful!

Unread 06/04/2015, 12:39 PM   #88
BarryV
Registered Member

Nopox

HI All,
I have a question for all you dosers. My nitrates seem to be stuck at 10 to 15ppm, also my phosphates are
up to about .005 +/-. I have been thinking about trying NOPOX. Can I manually dose or do I have to buy
a doser. SPS do not like NO3 and PO4.
Any thoughts,
Barry

Unread 06/04/2015, 12:43 PM   #89
soulpatch
Registered Member

I manually dose nopox when I feed. I guess I could use a doser since I dose roughly 2.5-3 ml but it is easy enough to do it as I feed in the evening

Unread 06/04/2015, 12:51 PM   #90
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryV View Post
HI All,
I have a question for all you dosers. My nitrates seem to be stuck at 10 to 15ppm, also my phosphates are
up to about .005 +/-. I have been thinking about trying NOPOX. Can I manually dose or do I have to buy
a doser. SPS do not like NO3 and PO4.
Any thoughts,
Barry
For what it's worth, dosing additional nitrates is all the rage these days in SPS keeping

There are a few benefits to nitrates >0. The phosphates, I have a feeling that there are still sufficient reasons to want it to be 0, but on nitrate the current trend has definitely changed.

THAT SAID; I think that if you are not "in control" of your nitrates, then your goal should be 0 nitrates until you are in control. Then you can experiment and raise them to see the impact.

Unread 06/04/2015, 12:58 PM   #91
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
For what it's worth, dosing additional nitrates is all the rage these days in SPS keeping

There are a few benefits to nitrates >0. The phosphates, I have a feeling that there are still sufficient reasons to want it to be 0, but on nitrate the current trend has definitely changed.

THAT SAID; I think that if you are not "in control" of your nitrates, then your goal should be 0 nitrates until you are in control. Then you can experiment and raise them to see the impact.
agreed. I am slowly weaning to GFO only to handle my phos but allow my nitrates to creep back up slightly. I will still need to dose nopox as I overfeed a couple days a week but I can wean it back significantly to perhaps .5 - 1 ml a day

Unread 06/04/2015, 01:55 PM   #92
BarryV
Registered Member

Thanks Guys for the information.
Barry

Unread 06/05/2015, 08:48 AM   #93
soulpatch
Registered Member

Hey Barry - I found what my LFS is using for his pics. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-...rproof+coolpix

I might look into picking one up if my gopro doesnt work out this weekend

Unread 06/05/2015, 12:23 PM   #94
BarryV
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Barry - I found what my LFS is using for his pics. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-COOLPIX-...rproof+coolpix

I might look into picking one up if my gopro doesnt work out this weekend
Thanks for the update. My BC is to small and full to get a camera in I think.
Barry

Unread 06/05/2015, 12:30 PM   #95
soulpatch
Registered Member

It is a pretty small cam but that said I probably agree. I should have the go pro out tonight as I stop by my race trailer for the waterproof case to give that a shot.

The problem with the cube and DSLR is the curved front glass. Hard to shoot through it very well.

Unread 06/05/2015, 07:54 PM   #96
LNell
Registered Member

Quote:
Kinda like global warming. LOL. Though in this instance dosing either way is pretty much on equal footing where as GW could be our demise or such. LOL

The biggest difference in this comparison: human-caused climate change is a rather one-sided argument, as it's supported by 97% of climatologists.

LNell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2015, 09:49 PM   #97
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNell View Post
The biggest difference in this comparison: human-caused climate change is a rather one-sided argument, as it's supported by 97% of climatologists.
no one said global warming was or was not real. I believe humans have accelerated the natural warming of the Earth but much like the ice ages and such before it is going to happen. We have just greatly accelerated the timeline.

And to play devils advocate. Scientists once all agreed that the earth was flat ad the center of the universe. We also use to be in complete agreement that an atom was the smallest item in the universe and so on and so forth. Because a group thinks a certain way does not equate to them being right.

irregardless we as humans will not stop so might as well enjoy the ride...

And I have to say that out of everything in thi thread a joke is what you decided to blast? Tons of great pics and set up here man. Come on. Dont be a debbie downer

Unread 06/05/2015, 10:40 PM   #98
LNell
Registered Member

Hey soulpatch, I think you're using the term "blast" a bit liberally here. I simply intend to correct an erroneous attitude that seems pretty common on the internet and in the media. Regarding your devil's advocacy, I'd be happy to explain why your arguments are somewhat nonsensical via private message if you'd like (it's pretty interesting, actually).

And I agree on your last point 100%, we're here for Barry's build. I really love your tank, Barry!

Unread 06/05/2015, 10:40 PM   #99
John001
Registered Member

In the 70's they said we were headed to the next ice age. 90's was a complete 180 and global warming. Now, just "climate change"!!! Really sad................

John001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2015, 11:00 PM   #100
LNell
Registered Member

"The worry is that, when Arctic ice melts as a result of global warming, huge amounts of fresh water will pour into the North Atlantic and slow down the Gulf Stream. A study of circulation in the North Atlantic has discovered that there already has been a 30 percent reduction in currents flowing north from the Gulf Stream. A slowed Gulf Stream could potentially lead to dramatic cooling in Europe."