Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2017, 04:41 PM   #1
Stripbass2
Registered Member

Mantis Shrimp Tank Set-Up

Ok, So I found a 10g tank on eBay for $14. I would have this tank designed specifically for a mantis shrimp, more specifically an O.Havanensis, And maybe a few snails he could make a snack out of. I would be getting this tank sometime in fall. And can they break glass? Do I need a special tank to house him in? And what type of filtration will I need to run (I would like to keep it all on the cheaper end)

I forgot to add I would like to breed some copepods in their if possible.

Stripbass2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 05:21 PM   #2
ZachsZoo
Registered Member

You can get a brand new 10g tank at Petco's dollar per gallon sale or 10$ or a new 10g from walmart for 15$. There is a small possibility he could crack the glass if he sees himself as a reflection and tries to "defend" his territory, but not very likely. For a filter a 20$ HOB filter should be fine or maybe a small HOB skimmer for 40$ or so.

ZachsZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2017, 09:24 PM   #3
MMacro
Registered Member

O. havanensis needs a larger tank. Somewhere in the 20-30 gallon range. I would do a N. wennerae or something similar. A HOB skimmer would be a good choice for filtration. Something rated 2-3x your tank size should be good since they create a lot of waste.

Unread 03/27/2017, 03:42 AM   #4
lanchi1661
Registered Member

Do I need a special tank to house him in?

lanchi1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 09:33 AM   #5
nmotz
Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by special tank, but generally mantis shrimp have tank specification needs based on size and species. Small smashers will do fine in smaller tanks. There's no risk of glass breakage with them.

With a large species like a Peacock, there is at least some risk of glass breakage but only if the animal repeatedly strikes the glass and this doesn't usually happen. Some people feel more comfortable with an acrylic tank or sometimes will put acrylic panels on the sides or bottom of a glass tank. The only other species that might cause damage to a glass aquarium is a large G. Chiragra and this species is really easy to find.

In general, long shallow tanks are better than tall skinny tanks because they provide more of a footprint for the mantis to roam around. This is especially important with Peacocks. With that species, the bigger the tank the better IMO. I have a 40B and wish I had double that size because she's always running around all over the place.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mantis shrimp, mantis shrimp tank, mantis shrimp tank setup