Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/27/2017, 01:54 PM   #1
IUfan
Registered Member

Which Ghost Overflow?

Which Ghost Overflow do you recommend?

The Reef Savvy Ghost Overflow?

Or

The Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow?

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 03:57 PM   #2
WLachnit
Registered Member

I have experience with the Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow and have been pretty happy with it. Can't comment on the Reef Savvy one.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Lsufan
Registered Member

I built my own so I don't have experience with eighther, but by looking at them they both would be a good choice & are the two best manufactured ones I have seen along with modular marine. I would look at the small details on both of them & see if there is something one has that the other doesn't that u would like to have. I know on some have the option of the removable wier & small things like that. The other thing I would look into is the different sizes that they make & how they would fit your setup.

The biggest issue I see with them is people getting to small of a version for there size tank. I would get as big of one that u can fit in your tank. U will get better surface skimming but in a lot of cases it will make the overflow more consistent with your drains. So the longer the interior wier is the better surface skimming u will get & the bigger the exterior box is the more consistent it will stay without having to try & mod the bean animal drains.

They are making the exterior boxes larger on them now but one of the issues when they first came out was the exterior box wasn't big enough. It was big enough to cram the plumbing into the box but not big enough for the bean animal drain to work properly & be consistent.

Last edited by Lsufan; 08/28/2017 at 04:47 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 03:07 AM   #4
WLachnit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I built my own so I don't have experience with eighther, but by looking at them they both would be a good choice & are the two best manufactured ones I have seen. I would look at the small details on both of them & see if there is something one has that the other doesn't that u would like to have. I know the synergy has the option of the removable wier & small things like that. The other thing I would look into is the different sizes that they make & how they would fit your setup.

The biggest issue I see with them is people getting to small of a version for there size tank. I would get as big of one that u can fit in your tank. U will get better surface skimming but in a lot of cases it will make the overflow more consistent with your drains. So the longer the interior wier is the better surface skimming u will get & the bigger the exterior box is the more consistent it will stay without having to try & mod the bean animal drains.

They are making the exterior boxes larger on them now but one of the issues when they first came out was the exterior box wasn't big enough. It was big enough to cram the plumbing into the box but not big enough for the bean animal drain to work properly & be consistent.

Those are both very good points. Another option might be Modular Marine.

Unread 08/28/2017, 11:59 AM   #5
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:

Any idea when this decision was made? I bought one in May (synergy shadow) and was wondering if I have a smaller box.

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

On some designs the exterior box is not as long as the interior wier. If they are the same length then I'm sure u are fine. The problem comes when people try to use a 16" overflow on a big tank that they are running 1000 to 1500 gph through the overflow.

I really like the looks of the modular marine overflows to. I'm not sure of all the sizes but I know modular marine makes one 36" long which is what I would use on a tank 4' or longer. They will also make a custom one for u the size u need from what I have read.

Last edited by Lsufan; 08/28/2017 at 04:45 PM.
Unread 08/28/2017, 04:50 PM   #7
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Modular Marine will custom make any size and I highly recommend him. He just built me an overflow and a sump and both were very good quality.

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 04:54 PM   #8
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Unread 08/28/2017, 05:24 PM   #9
Lsufan
Registered Member

Yea, I edited my first post because I completely forgot about modular marine. I do really like them & if I bought a manufactured one I would go with them. I built mine with a acrylic internal wier & a glass external box. I wanted a glass external box so I didn't have to rely on the gaskets but I also wanted my box to be 52" long because I have a 60" tank. I figured it would be expensive getting them to build that size box. All of that plus me building things for a living I decided to just DIY.

Jay, what size box did they make for u. It looks to be about a 60" wier with around a 36" box. It looks perfect for your tank. The bigger the box the better & I always recommend people to get the biggest one that they can fit.

Unread 08/28/2017, 05:31 PM   #10
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea, I edited my first post because I completely forgot about modular marine. I do really like them & if I bought a manufactured one I would go with them. I built mine with a acrylic internal wier & a glass external box. I wanted a glass external box so I didn't have to rely on the gaskets but I also wanted my box to be 52" long because I have a 60" tank. I figured it would be expensive getting them to build that size box. All of that plus me building things for a living I decided to just DIY.

Jay, what size box did they make for u. It looks to be about a 60" wier with around a 36" box. It looks perfect for your tank. The bigger the box the better & I always recommend people to get the biggest one that they can fit.
52" toothless weir and 28" external box. The box is taller than his normal design though. Bulkheads for the pass throughs and uniseals for the drains.

Unread 08/28/2017, 06:00 PM   #11
IUfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySchulz View Post
52" toothless weir and 28" external box. The box is taller than his normal design though. Bulkheads for the pass throughs and uniseals for the drains.

Looks great Jay!

Can you share more pictures? The toothless weir, is it just a flat edge on top? Or is it a slit so there is still something to limit fish from going over the Overflow?

What steps did you take to ensure the waterline was hidden behind the frame?

And I'm concerned that the external box does not sit flat on the back of the tank, I think this would create leverage with the weight of water in the box and could compromise the box over time? Have you noticed any issues with that, does it feel solid?

Unread 08/28/2017, 06:06 PM   #12
IUfan
Registered Member

**** Jay, just read your build thread, your in Houston? Hope your doing somewhat okay considering the flooding in Houston

Unread 08/28/2017, 06:34 PM   #13
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Which Ghost Overflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUfan View Post
Looks great Jay!

Can you share more pictures? The toothless weir, is it just a flat edge on top? Or is it a slit so there is still something to limit fish from going over the Overflow?

What steps did you take to ensure the waterline was hidden behind the frame?

And I'm concerned that the external box does not sit flat on the back of the tank, I think this would create leverage with the weight of water in the box and could compromise the box over time? Have you noticed any issues with that, does it feel solid?

The toothless weir is a notch and he includes a removable lid. He does toothed weirs as well but I wanted to increase skimming efficiency.

My tank is framed as well and he actually creates a notch at the top of the external box to put the overflow high enough to hide the waterline.

As you know I don't have water in my tank yet but I will say that the box is extremely sturdy and it feels very solid. I've read other members post that the Modular Marine felt more solid than other ghost overflows but I don't know that from personal experience. I've also never read any one complain about any long term issues with their Modular Marine overflow.

Thank you by the way. Im fortunate to not have any flooding concerns at my house yet but I'm also an hour north of Houston. Hopefully this rain starts to go away.

Unread 08/28/2017, 06:46 PM   #14
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Oh I did want to say that you have to let him know to notch the top of the external box to fit flush with the frame. All he will need is how much the frame sticks out from the tank.

I also forgot to mention that he will build the overflows with thicker acrylic should you feel you want a sturdier and stronger overflow.

Unread 08/28/2017, 07:05 PM   #15
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
On some designs the exterior box is not as long as the interior wier. If they are the same length then I'm sure u are fine. The problem comes when people try to use a 16" overflow on a big tank that they are running 1000 to 1500 gph through the tank

Hmmm, I'm kinda stuck with the 16inch on a short end of a aqueon 180, since I'm setting it in wall with both long sides visible. But I'm only planning on 6-700 gph through the overflow. Rest of the flow will be a couple xf250 gyres.

Cheers

Unread 08/28/2017, 07:32 PM   #16
Tom39
Registered Member

My current build utilizes a Synergy Reef Ghost overflow and my over review of the overflow is good. However, my only suggestion would be choose a return pump that was no more than 1000gph at discharge.

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2017, 07:36 PM   #17
neilp2006
Registered Member

Yeah, it was going to be a tough one. Need a head of 14 feet (basement sump) - so I'm picking up a jabao dcs 18000. Hopefully I can tune it in perfectly for that overflow .

Unread 08/28/2017, 08:07 PM   #18
IUfan
Registered Member

Jay, thanks for all the info. I just dropped them a message and going to see what I can sort out.

I too went with Custom Aquariums to build my 220, they are just waiting on dimensions for the Overflow, so hope I can get it all coordinated. Your tank looks great!

Unread 08/29/2017, 11:35 AM   #19
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Went with the stock 36" MM model for my impending 400. I do think that the practical capacity of them is less than the theoretical capacity. Mine is rated at 3,000 gph, but I don't plan for much more than half of that.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2017, 01:46 PM   #20
WLachnit
Registered Member

I would have gone with modular marine Had I known about them when I ordered my tank.

Unread 08/30/2017, 11:07 AM   #21
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

Going with the Synergy Overflow box.

I am getting ready to set up a SC-150 that's pre-drilled for a External Overflow box. I am going with the 20'' Synergy Reef External Overflow instead of the Reef Savvy! I have added a pix of my tank and a pix of Overflow box.

Attached Images
File Type: png New 150.png (76.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg thumb-e1440195799312.jpg (19.9 KB, 52 views)
FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 07:42 AM   #22
GQsmooth
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSharkvictim View Post
I am getting ready to set up a SC-150 that's pre-drilled for a External Overflow box. I am going with the 20'' Synergy Reef External Overflow instead of the Reef Savvy! I have added a pix of my tank and a pix of Overflow box.
Great choice!

GQsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2017, 12:50 PM   #23
IUfan
Registered Member

Going to go with the Modular Marine Overflow. Any thoughts on whether I should go with there removable weir box or leave standard with the fixed weir box?

Unread 09/20/2017, 12:53 PM   #24
JaySchulz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUfan View Post
Going to go with the Modular Marine Overflow. Any thoughts on whether I should go with there removable weir box or leave standard with the fixed weir box?

Hopefully ca1ore will chime in. I'm pretty sure he knows the big differences between the two.

Unread 09/20/2017, 02:00 PM   #25
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

The biggest problem I originally had with MM was that cleaning out the internal weir box was very difficult, where as Synergy & Ghost both had the magnetic weir teeth to access the inside of the box. With the removable weir box it makes it possible to get in there and clean it out, but the tank will drain to the bottom of the bulkhead holes if you're not careful which might be a problem if you have a sump that barely has capacity. There are ways around that but it is something to keep in mind.

FYI, I remember seeing the Synergy overflow at MACNA and they were all happy about the single piece injection process, but damnit if it didn't feel flimsy as all hell, like seriously would worry the thing would bulge out if it was actually full of water.