Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:16 AM   #1
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Brs video on black box

After watching video about black box on brs, I saw a 100.00 dollar light out perform a 800.00 light. The big thing w black boxes is there a 100.00 dollar light , this is how you make a 100.00 light out perform all..I said all those expensive , overpriced light. My own , I use sb bords.. I lose about 30% par w these diffusers , home made, a completely different light, you can drill out areas to let the led you want to , not be diffused, I own large sandblasting company I use sugar sand to make diffuser, if the members want there's done I will do for free, make it easy for me , return address and stuff, pre paid..

kenneth wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 12:25 AM   #2
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

1/4 plexy sandblasted on one side , easy , takes the " beam" brs claims and smooths it out, you loose par , but the fixture doesn't lack par..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:28 AM   #3
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

No bs make it easy, its free, make your covers send them to me prepaid..

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:34 AM   #4
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

100.00 dollar light kills 800.00 light w diffuser and upgraded bord, standard is ok, lacks the uv for me, cool thing about this mod , just drill out the areas on diffuser that you want stronger, like the uv and a few deep blues, major difference in how light looks, must try..

Last edited by kenneth wolfe; 09/16/2017 at 12:47 AM.
Unread 09/16/2017, 12:36 AM   #5
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Pm for address and information..

Unread 09/16/2017, 06:23 AM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

And then all you have to do is replace the power supply with one that is actually safe, use a real heatsink so the diodes won't fry, DIY a controller, fabricate some mounting brackets so that you have other mounting options, etc.

I watched that video too. Although it did surprise me somewhat, it sure didn't convince me to rush out and buy any CBB lights.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 07:02 AM   #7
mpsteve
Registered Member

Brs video on black box

I'll stick to radions for now. Ecotechs customer support is great and so isn't EcoSmart live since the kinks have been worked out of it. And there made in America, I'll support American made over Chinese crap that just barely works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 07:54 AM   #8
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
And then all you have to do is replace the power supply with one that is actually safe, use a real heatsink so the diodes won't fry, DIY a controller, fabricate some mounting brackets so that you have other mounting options, etc.

I watched that video too. Although it did surprise me somewhat, it sure didn't convince me to rush out and buy any CBB lights.
Or buy Reefbreeders for a little more.

That's a clever bit of marketing BRS has done. How to put down a light while seeming to compliment it.

Want to make it a more interesting comparison? Change to a reefbreeders fixture and ditch the narrow lenses.

Unread 09/16/2017, 08:21 AM   #9
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

As El Guapo says in The Three Amigos, "What the hell is happening around here?!?"

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 12:00 PM   #10
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Reefbreeders are exactly the same on inside, sb light sells a replacement bord with better diodes and lay out

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:10 PM   #11
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Inside of the black box and photo48, same, same,same, the other pic is off the sb light bord,

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:17 PM   #12
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Sb light w diffuser

Unread 09/16/2017, 12:54 PM   #13
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
Reefbreeders are exactly the same on inside, sb light sells a replacement bord with better diodes and lay out

Most current version of Reefbreeders has a proper heatsink and has moved to better (more efficient) leds. I would hope they have a better PSU as well, but don't know for sure.

Unread 09/16/2017, 01:09 PM   #14
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

?? How did these outperform more expensive units? Did we all watch the same video?

Unread 09/16/2017, 01:29 PM   #15
mikem101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
?? How did these outperform more expensive units? Did we all watch the same video?
+1 I guess we didn't watch the same video? unless you want a laser light to run your tank? I mean I don't think they are the worst things in the world but, I don't see how the 100.00 black box out preformed any of the higher end lights? what I got from the video was sure they can maintain and grow coral but, not nearly as well as name brand LEDs. Also that they are not nearly as safe!

mikem101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 01:50 PM   #16
mpsteve
Registered Member

I got the same impression hence why I'll stick to my radions

mpsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 02:23 PM   #17
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem101 View Post
+1 I guess we didn't watch the same video? unless you want a laser light to run your tank? I mean I don't think they are the worst things in the world but, I don't see how the 100.00 black box out preformed any of the higher end lights? what I got from the video was sure they can maintain and grow coral but, not nearly as well as name brand LEDs. Also that they are not nearly as safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteve View Post
I got the same impression hence why I'll stick to my radions

That was sort of the point to my first post. Nobody is claiming that they don't work. Just that if you consider the shortcomings they really don't seem like a very good deal.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 02:39 PM   #18
homer1475
Registered Member

Well coming from black box units, I got 2 300W units for sale if anyone is interested?

In all seriousness, I will never skimp on lighting again. Pretty sure I've killed more $$ in coral trying to dial them in, then if I had just bought better lights to begin with.

Didn't watch the video, don't care to see it either. I have my own experience to draw from.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 03:27 PM   #19
outssider
Registered Member

pictures are too small, could you make them a bit larger....

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 03:28 PM   #20
Potatohead
Registered Member

Thread should be deleted.

OP brings up the video, lies about the results, then sales pitches his way through the first several posts without being a paid sponsor.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 03:35 PM   #21
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth wolfe View Post
After watching video about black box on brs, I saw a 100.00 dollar light out perform a 800.00 light. The big thing w black boxes is there a 100.00 dollar light , this is how you make a 100.00 light out perform all..I said all those expensive , overpriced light. My own , I use sb bords.. I lose about 30% par w these diffusers , home made, a completely different light, you can drill out areas to let the led you want to , not be diffused, I own large sandblasting company I use sugar sand to make diffuser, if the members want there's done I will do for free, make it easy for me , return address and stuff, pre paid..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
Thread should be deleted.

OP brings up the video, lies about the results, then sales pitches his way through the first several posts without being a paid sponsor.
I don't see a sales pitch here anywhere? Op actually stated he would do them for free, just pay the postage.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 06:08 PM   #22
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
That was sort of the point to my first post. Nobody is claiming that they don't work. Just that if you consider the shortcomings they really don't seem like a very good deal.
That was the point of the video, except that, as set up, it is a straw man argument. Most of the negatives are addressed in all but the absolute cheapest black box LEDs.

Kenneth may be overenthusiastic about his LEDs, but BRS is deliberately misleading.

Unread 09/16/2017, 06:33 PM   #23
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

That's my point exactly, I just wanted to address that the diffuser helps with the issues brs claims these boxes have, im not in the light business but if you consider that for the price of one radion you can outfit a complete system , and also fix or repair anything that might be a little underrated or needs improved on.

Unread 09/16/2017, 06:37 PM   #24
hersheyb
Registered Member

I wouldn't say the BRS was misleading, they pointed the good and the bad. At 1 point I considered getting a few blackbox myself but I decided not to since a friend of mine had one that caught on fire. I just didn't want to be worrying whether my house was going to catch on fire.

hersheyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2017, 07:05 PM   #25
Jon0807
Registered Member

I had a "black box" that even had a remote control and you were able to program the whites and blues separately. I thought my tank was doing fine with them but my corals were never really looked like they were thriving. Plus I had to turn them way down or else my corals would close up. I decided to try a Kessil A360W and the difference was night and day when it came to coral health. My duncan which I had for over a year started to sprout heads like crazy, my torch opened up to it's biggest I've ever seen it and my zoas started to multiply. This might all be coincidence but I won't be going back to my black box again.