Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2007, 05:57 AM   #51
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Hogs
There are so many species of wildlife in this hobby that's it impossible to know everything.
That's what keeps it interesting, always something new to research and learn

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2007, 08:40 AM   #52
onegreenray
Registered Member

I agree i have had one of the pruple ones and the lettuce type in the past when i first started. but after watching one die thats usually when most of use call it quits for them. unfortanetly in this hobby most people don't use RC and get the facts on there buys before they but them. so yes it is we vote with our dollar.

onegreenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2007, 12:10 PM   #53
JB NY
Registered Member

I've never had a problem with Aquahut either. It actually never occurs to me that the prices are not on the tanks. I generally know what I want and will always ask what the items costs before I buy it, I've never had a problem doing things like that.

I think if it comes down to is, do you know what you are looking for? If he has it, right before you buy it ask the price. I wouldn't worry too much about the prices not being on the tanks. I find that Don's prices are the same if not cheaper than most internet companies. Both for dry good as well as livestock. He moves a crazy amount of product through his store which is why the prices are so low.

I think that Don's attitude is that, it's my business, I can run it however I want. I don't have a problem with that. He's a personal guy, has a good attitude, is open long hours and has good prices. If he doesn't need to answer the phone to stay in business, more power to him.

He also takes care of the regulars. If you are there a lot and he knows you spend money regularly in his store he will do better pricing for you. Country Critters does the same thing BTW.

I would say to give Aqua Hut another try as well.

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2007, 02:37 PM   #54
DragonZim
Registered Member

I've been shopping AquaHut for about 3 years now. Don is a great guy even if he doesnt answer his phones. I had ordered some live rock from him last year and at the time he was having trouble getting it in for some reason. He called me twice a week for about 3 weeks keeping me updated on what was going on.

The pony tail guy, Tony is great. He came over from Country Critters and actually has his own livestock import business which is why you may have seen some new stuff around since he's been on board. A former roommate of mine, Tim, used to work there as well. He was the other pony tailed guy that used to be there... Also, there is a young guy with red hair working there that seems to know what he is talking about as well. I've never had a problem asking for prices. most places I've been to that had prices on the tanks were outdated anyway, with the listed items not even being in the tank anymore.

DragonZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2007, 09:51 PM   #55
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Aqua Hut does not have a phone. Can't answer what you don't have. He does have internet prices. He's been doing it over 30 years. Must be doing something right.

Marty

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2007, 12:44 PM   #56
imlocke
Registered Member

What do you mean by internet pricing? That he has his prices listed online, or that he gets his prices off the internet? Because I've noticed that the prices are even better than liveaquaria and petsolutions as well.

imlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2007, 01:27 PM   #57
martinphillip03
Registered Member

I meant his prices are overall close to online prices. I haven't checked every price, its only my observation

Marty

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2007, 03:20 PM   #58
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
I meant his prices are overall close to online prices. I haven't checked every price, its only my observation

Marty
Aquahut's prices are actually better than on-line unless there is an on-line sale.

Current Tank Info: 72g reef, 37g fresh, 10g QT
Hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2007, 04:07 PM   #59
gusto1
Registered Member

Does anyone know what time they open Saturday morning ( thats one reason to answer a phone), I don't want to drive all the way from East Meadow to find out there closed.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 20 Gallon
gusto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2007, 04:12 PM   #60
Hogs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gusto1
Does anyone know what time they open Saturday morning ( thats one reason to answer a phone), I don't want to drive all the way from East Meadow to find out there closed.

Thanks
I believe that they open 9 to 9 but don't take my word on it. I was there at 9am one morning but that was a weekday. I'm assuming that Saturday's are the same. If I was a gambling man, (and I am) I would bet that they open at 9am. Let me know what's in stock.

Current Tank Info: 72g reef, 37g fresh, 10g QT
Hogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2007, 08:56 PM   #61
gusto1
Registered Member

Thanks hogs,

I will post what he has

is anyone certain of the time.

Current Tank Info: IM Fusion 20 Gallon
gusto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 11:35 AM   #62
Johnenewt1
Moved On

Last edited by joeychitwood; 04/07/2015 at 05:25 PM.
Johnenewt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 12:04 PM   #63
rgnbull1227
Registered Member

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you should NEVER dump new fish, from ANY STORE, into your display tank. Fish need to be quarantined a min of 4 weeks in a QT tank to ensure the fish are disease free. This is Aquarium 101. if you notice fish being sick in QT, then you can treat there and NOT in your display tank. I know the first thing you want to do is blame the LFS, but the onus is on you here. I dont care where the fish comes from, all new fish SHOULD be in QT.
Just my 2 cents.

Really sorry for the loss though. nothing worse.

rgnbull1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 12:05 PM   #64
jaynie1028
Registered Member

All fish stores carry ick in their tanks. They have such a large turn over in fish every week that it is impossible for the stores not to have it. This is the reason why you are supposed to have another tank setup and treat all fish before adding to your display tank. Same goes for freshwater as we do with out reef tanks. I have bought many healthy and sick fish in the past. You just never know what you are really getting because not all sickness are visible. Always us cautions when adding a new fish. I have learned the hard way many times. Sorry to hear about your lose

jaynie1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 12:12 PM   #65
Long Island Andy
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227 View Post
hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you should never dump new fish, from any store, into your display tank. Fish need to be quarantined a min of 4 weeks in a qt tank to ensure the fish are disease free. This is aquarium 101. If you notice fish being sick in qt, then you can treat there and not in your display tank. I know the first thing you want to do is blame the lfs, but the onus is on you here. I dont care where the fish comes from, all new fish should be in qt.
Just my 2 cents.

Really sorry for the loss though. Nothing worse.
+100

Current Tank Info: 65g Reef,15g Mantis Tank
Long Island Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 01:17 PM   #66
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Joined RC just to bash a store?

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house

username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 01:26 PM   #67
mguili1947
Registered Member

thats your problem,you ever heard of Quarantine! Dont bad mouth a store because you didn't do it

mguili1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2015, 09:19 PM   #68
cullyisgully
NYRC-LIRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by username in use View Post
Joined RC just to bash a store?
I would say its some one that has beef with them JMO

Current Tank Info: Cully's Collectible Coral....Treasurer of the NYRC -80 Gal RR Tank... Vertex Omega 150 Protein Skimmer - VorTech MP40 - Two Maxspect R420R Razor LED Lighting Fixture - 16000K .. Apex and auto feeder. 20 Gal Hight Zoa Garden.. T5 ATI lights
cullyisgully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 06:09 AM   #69
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullyisgully View Post
I would say its some one that has beef with them JMO
He wrote his beef. The mods removed it. What he posted about was completely his fault, not the stores.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 09:09 AM   #70
lrasser
Registered Member

I've been going to Don for over 20 years now. His prices are usually unmatched anywhere. He gets his fish the same as any other LFS. Does this guy think they go and pick them out of the ocean and only take the perfectly healthy one? Or maybe he thinks they all get kept in individual tanks and treated for every disease just so he can get a perfectly healthy fish. If you can't figure out the answer to these questions it's time to find a new hobby.

lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 09:22 AM   #71
rgnbull1227
Registered Member

Agreed. Just the fact he stated he went online and read that Ich is a parasite. Seriously? In this hobby and never heard of Ich, not to mention, the guy at Aqua Hut told him about Ich. Wrong hobby to be in you dont do your homework or things like this will be a regular occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrasser View Post
I've been going to Don for over 20 years now. His prices are usually unmatched anywhere. He gets his fish the same as any other LFS. Does this guy think they go and pick them out of the ocean and only take the perfectly healthy one? Or maybe he thinks they all get kept in individual tanks and treated for every disease just so he can get a perfectly healthy fish. If you can't figure out the answer to these questions it's time to find a new hobby.

rgnbull1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2015, 09:43 AM   #72
MikeC120
Registered Member

Wow and the OP was made 8 years ago

"January 2016 Tank of the Month"

Current Tank Info: 140 BB DT ,ATI w/35 settling tank,75 gal DIY sump & 50Gal corner,20 gal sump,15gal settling tank
MikeC120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2015, 02:02 PM   #73
Hoopz87
Registered Member

Not for nothing though, aqua hut is hands down the WORST store on the island. Has anyone been in there as of late? I walked in and walked out five minutes later in disgust....dead fish in tanks , algae covering everything, no coral.... If anyone has been to Caribbean blue aquatics, tropical island or aquarium village, AND then went to Aqua hut, you will understand what I mean.

Hoopz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2015, 02:31 PM   #74
JB NY
Registered Member

Prices on dry goods are cheaper than anyplace on the Island, most time cheaper than online. Show up on Friday all the tanks are generally filled with fish and sometimes coral, he pretty much moves everything over the weekend. He is not the best place for coral, but he doesn't try to be.

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2015, 07:33 PM   #75
dforlenza
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopz87 View Post
Not for nothing though, aqua hut is hands down the WORST store on the island. Has anyone been in there as of late? I walked in and walked out five minutes later in disgust....dead fish in tanks , algae covering everything, no coral.... If anyone has been to Caribbean blue aquatics, tropical island or aquarium village, AND then went to Aqua hut, you will understand what I mean.
I too have walked in and walked out of aqua hut. have not been back in a while. they had more dead fish in tanks, and algae than the other 3 fish stores I go to combined... and seemed less helpful.

I buy from one LFS on a consistent basis. They took the time to explain things to me and give advise when I was starting. They actually sold me a few things that cost less than the items I was planning on buying, they explained how the less expensive items were better suited. I also have not yet gotten a fish with ich or any other issue. but they do not stock as much, so when I'm looking for something specific I sometimes have to wait. But I don't mind waiting for a store I trust, and that knows me very well now.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon fowlr tank, 14 gallon Biocube.
dforlenza is offline   Reply With Quote