Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2015, 06:55 PM   #1
DasCamel
Registered Member

Thinking about ordering a clam.

My tank is about 18 months old with stable parameters. Effectively zero nitrates, and very low phosphates. I currently only dose kalk in the ATO, at about a 1 tsp/gallon ratio. Fish, corals and anenomes currently happy.

So my question is, if I get a clam will I need to worry about dosing more? Other than good lighting, is feeding necessary for clams? Phytoplankton? Any species to avoid? Other tips?

Looking for advice before I order. Most likely ordering online.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2015, 09:32 PM   #2
150Ron
Registered Member

A young clam under two inches needs fed but anything larger is fine with good light. I have a couple and they are easy with good water and light.

Current Tank Info: 150gal custom reef, 36" Ruby Trigger Sump, Halide/T5 Lights, Reef Octopus 170SSS Skimmer, Reef Octopus 5500 controlable return, Maxspec Gyre xf150, Hydor Koralia Power Head 1150X2
150Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2015, 09:50 PM   #3
jpa0741
Registered Member

My guess would be your kalk may keep up if you are thinking Crocea or maxima. If you go with a squammi or derasa they can suck up some calc. You may have to add some 2 part at some point

jpa0741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2015, 01:37 AM   #4
DasCamel
Registered Member

Ok so two inches plus and eventually two part is possible.

Any major difficulty changes between species other than calcium/alk usage? Also, who are good online clam suppliers?

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
Unread 05/24/2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

Feeding isn't necessary but your water can't be too "clean" since clam needs nutrients in the water to grow. and Two part should be fine. Agree with avoiding clams below 2", they aren't impossible to keep but are more challenging.

Current Tank Info: 180 Mix Reef + 28G Seahorse Species Tank
Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2015, 04:57 PM   #6
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenliu9 View Post
Feeding isn't necessary but your water can't be too "clean" since clam needs nutrients in the water to grow. and Two part should be fine. Agree with avoiding clams below 2", they aren't impossible to keep but are more challenging.
Define too clean? I tend to feed multiple times per day and mysis block once per week. Strong skimmer and filter sock changed weekly.

Too clean still? I do test zero nitrates and close to zero phosphate, clean enough for the Magnifica too clean for clams?

Unread 05/26/2015, 08:49 AM   #7
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasCamel View Post
Ok so two inches plus and eventually two part is possible.

Any major difficulty changes between species other than calcium/alk usage? Also, who are good online clam suppliers?
feeding isn't required, from what i've seen it's not required at any size.

i'm supporting two clams (derasa and crocea) nicely in a mixed reef with kalk. i use a dosing pump though, instead of putting it in the ATO. not saying you need to do that, but i've found it a little easier to fine tune.

-edit-

derp, just saw your lights and tank are in your sig. i have my clams both under vegas, my 75 is shallower than your 150, but not by a whole lot. you should be good to go.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2015, 11:58 AM   #8
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
feeding isn't required, from what i've seen it's not required at any size.

i'm supporting two clams (derasa and crocea) nicely in a mixed reef with kalk. i use a dosing pump though, instead of putting it in the ATO. not saying you need to do that, but i've found it a little easier to fine tune.

-edit-

derp, just saw your lights and tank are in your sig. i have my clams both under vegas, my 75 is shallower than your 150, but not by a whole lot. you should be good to go.
Ok, thanks.

Unread 05/29/2015, 03:32 PM   #9
moliken
Registered Member

no feeding. NO phosphates, not low, unless you use something like a hanna checker and can accurately measure .00-.05

Current Tank Info: 75 and 65gals plumbed together, clams 12 fish. lps corals/ aquaillumination leds on the 75 and lovin them. t5's
moliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 12:48 AM   #10
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliken View Post
no feeding. NO phosphates, not low, unless you use something like a hanna checker and can accurately measure .00-.05
Funny you say that. I use the Hanna low one. I need to clean the front glass 2-3 per week which is also consistent with the reading.

Still haven't ordered, may try Vivid next week.