Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/21/2015, 10:26 AM   #101
jlnielsen13
Registered Member

Update:

Tank is completely full so I am just starting to fill up the sump tonight. APEX is coming today so I am excited about that. Had some other goodies come in the mail yesterday including probe magnet, TUNZE auto top off ( which I will need to rig differently because my top off is above my sump which I hear is a big problem). I also got a RW 15 Jebao but is was cracked and has to go back!

Pics to come,

JIM

jlnielsen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 10:42 AM   #102
soulpatch
Registered Member

question the copper you sweat is outside the tank and run through your RODI right? I figure you were talking about your supply lines to your fish room but wanted to confirm. Otherwise they can leach into your tank.

I know this question is like a computer line asking if you have it plugged in but still...

soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 11:47 AM   #103
pbft_90
Registered Member

I think you'll like those jebao's if you haven't had them in the past. Same goes for the apex, what monitors are you going to run off of the apex? I'm going to expand mine soon I started off with the jr but would like to get a little more dialed in. fingers crossed for tonight's seal testing. Good luck!

pbft_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2015, 11:50 AM   #104
soulpatch
Registered Member

I really like my RW4s on my nano cube and the pairing between the units is pretty good which makes for a pretty darn good wave mode. Hopefully you have as much success with the larger RW line...

Unread 01/21/2015, 03:16 PM   #105
jlnielsen13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
question the copper you sweat is outside the tank and run through your RODI right? I figure you were talking about your supply lines to your fish room but wanted to confirm. Otherwise they can leach into your tank.

I know this question is like a computer line asking if you have it plugged in but still...
The copper piping is for the water supply to the utility sink in the fishroom. My RO unit will be hooked up to that sink, I assume this is okay as all the piping in my house is copper, although I have never used the brass fittings so I hope that is okay.. I assume the RO takes out any of the Leaching??

Thanks,
JIM

Unread 01/21/2015, 03:29 PM   #106
soulpatch
Registered Member

the leaching only really occurs if you use the copper for your tank plumbing as the salt water will break it down leaching copper into your system.

With the freshwater in your plumbing you are good.

Unread 01/21/2015, 07:44 PM   #107
jlnielsen13
Registered Member

Leaks continue

Man this sucks...

I have a really bad leak in a drain bulkhead. I went to home depot twice to buy two different wrenches loading and unloading the kiddos each time- got it to one tiny drip a minute but scared to crank it any more??

Plumbing woes,

JIM

Unread 01/21/2015, 09:38 PM   #108
pbft_90
Registered Member

I had the same problem ended up just putting a petroleum jelly like substance that I got from aquatica in tinley park on the base of the O-ring to create a better seal. Not sure what exactly it was as he went into a back office area threw some in a cup for me and just said apply a real thin coat to the o-ring and then tighten it as you had and you're good. And I'll be damned if it didn't work.

Unread 01/21/2015, 09:42 PM   #109
pbft_90
Registered Member

Just did a real quick search it looks like silicone grease is what people here on RC have used saying Vaseline not reef safe im sure the silicone grease is what I used. The pain in the butt was draining the overflow and drying it out so I could get the o-ring a clean dry surface to create that tight seal.

Last edited by pbft_90; 01/21/2015 at 09:53 PM.
Unread 01/22/2015, 05:07 AM   #110
A sea K
Registered Member

Yes on the silicone grease. I use it on all my o-rings and other rubber. You can find it at Lowes in the plumbing section. It comes in a small grey tub and can be difficult to locate so ask one of the employees.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2015, 10:28 AM   #111
jlnielsen13
Registered Member

Thanks everyone,

Looks like I am going to the DEPOT for some silicon grease...

Appreciate the help- Think I might turn on the pumps tonight!!

JIM

Unread 01/22/2015, 11:07 AM   #112
Vapour1ze
I'm an Addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnielsen13 View Post
Thanks everyone,

Looks like I am going to the DEPOT for some silicon grease...

Appreciate the help- Think I might turn on the pumps tonight!!

JIM
I'll bring towels.

Unread 01/22/2015, 06:28 PM   #113
pbft_90
Registered Member

Jim hope this does the trick! Let's get that thing cranked up!

Unread 01/22/2015, 07:40 PM   #114
jlnielsen13
Registered Member

One step forward .... massive step back!

Thanks to Luke for coming over and helping me set up my APEX. We just got it running and I am completely overwhelmed- kinda computer savvy and feel like this thing is to much for me?

Huge step back was we turned the pumps on and all four bulkheads have a leak! I did everything correct golly gee willikers??

I will try the silicon grease and Luke suggested rtv108?

Jim

Unread 01/22/2015, 07:49 PM   #115
whiteshark
Registered Member

You will be able to handle the Apex. It's not so bad.

The leaky bulkheads, that's more likely to be a long term headache.

Unread 01/22/2015, 08:00 PM   #116
Vapour1ze
I'm an Addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
You will be able to handle the Apex. It's not so bad.

The leaky bulkheads, that's more likely to be a long term headache.
RTV108 Stuff works wonders. Love it. Just do a forum search for it. It's great. It'll never leak again.

Unread 01/22/2015, 08:01 PM   #117
Vapour1ze
I'm an Addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnielsen13 View Post
One step forward .... massive step back!

Thanks to Luke for coming over and helping me set up my APEX. We just got it running and I am completely overwhelmed- kinda computer savvy and feel like this thing is to much for me?

Huge step back was we turned the pumps on and all four bulkheads have a leak! I did everything correct golly gee willikers??

I will try the silicon grease and Luke suggested rtv108?

Jim
Glad to help, we will get this thing rocking man! You've done huge work. You have a minor problem. It could have been worse. (the return coming out during test run) lol! Shoot me a text when you're ready to go at it again!

Cheers
LUKE

Unread 01/22/2015, 08:22 PM   #118
whiteshark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour1ze View Post
RTV108 Stuff works wonders. Love it. Just do a forum search for it. It's great. It'll never leak again.
I'm not saying it will. I'm saying, IMO, a leaky bulkhead is more a concern than handling the Apex. Fusion makes it a snap. I'm sure you can fix the bulkheads, but I think it will take even less effort to conquer the Apex. Both are solvable issues.

Unread 01/22/2015, 09:44 PM   #119
pbft_90
Registered Member

The apex I agree can be a pain in the butt to get set up initially but once it's set and you get the app for your phone it's simple. One thing to make sure of is when you set up the link make sure your wifi is off otherwise you'll need to be at your home in order to get readings which defeats the purpose. My first tank required nothing I just plugged it in and it was water tight my 2nd tank I fought that stupid leak for weeks thinking one thing or another would solve it and the answer ended up being that grease.im sure that other stuff you're referring to vapor1ze is very similar. I know the frustration but when it comes to 300g of water being on the floor just keep working on the other 900 things you know you're going to have to do and you'll eventually get it worked out.

Unread 01/25/2015, 09:40 PM   #120
pbft_90
Registered Member

So how'd it go?

Unread 01/25/2015, 11:55 PM   #121
fishresponse
Registered Member

Hitching along for the ride. Great setup.

fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2015, 07:16 AM   #122
Vapour1ze
I'm an Addict.

Got your text last night, Jim! Setup is looking awesome! Congrats man! Glad everything is working out. I'll have to stop over soon. I had a VERY busy weekend.

LUKE

Unread 01/26/2015, 10:39 AM   #123
jlnielsen13
Registered Member

Light at the end of the tunnel-

Well,

It was a week of leaks, then I got electrocuted by one of my pumps (volt meter was over 300) then some more leaks! I replaced the pump but the new one's magnet didn't rotate- had to go all the way back an hour to get another one! Had some huge help from an LFS getting the situation fixed!

My sink that worked just fine couldn't handle the back pressure from the RO when I hooked it up and sprung a huge leak.

My bulkheads seem to be 100% dry, without any silicon! Why you ask? I overnighted the silicon from amazon so I could fix them. The package came and I was ready to get to work, I picked up the box and it felt extremely light..... it was completely empty, never had that happen before!

I was starting to think this build was a really bad idea... but then this happened:

The queen and Sohal are around 1ft long and look almost small in this tank! (which is great, I built this for them!)

Still a learning curve with the apex although I think I have that set up, scary thing is I don't really know yet about the dosers and a few other things because they aren't hooked up yet.

I also still need to tap my reef tank in which is a huge project as well!

The happiest family member might be our cat :

Taking advantage of the open ceiling in the fishroom:

Still lots of work ahead ( not even counting livestock) and need to tie in the other tank... but things are brightening up around the house.

Thanks for tagging along,

JIM

Unread 01/26/2015, 03:26 PM   #124
pbft_90
Registered Member

Now that's bizarre on the empty box. All is well that ends well and I have to say I really like your aquascape those massive pieces really look impressive. Nice work.

Unread 01/26/2015, 04:00 PM   #125
sticky polyps
Registered Member

beautiful Bengal :-) tank looks amazing btw...

sticky polyps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 gallon, mixed reef, stand, sump