Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2019, 06:57 PM   #1
JennyFlow
Registered Member

Dosing methods

I see lots of people saying pumps like the neptune dos are best. Some guy at a lfs told me the litermeter was best.

Do any of you drip dose? Is that reliable? Is there some fancy lab crap I can buy to do this?

Are there any other dosing methods? I am looking at peristaltic pumps but am wondering what my other options are. This would be for two part or trace/mag.

JennyFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2019, 07:25 PM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

I've made dripping work with kalkwasser, but it would be really difficult for 2/3 part.

Peristaltic pumps are what you want. Can't help you with brand.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2019, 07:41 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There are numerous dosing/peristaltic pump systems sold for this hobby. All work just fine for most...some just have fancier features like wifi,etc...
Anything from a jebao dp4/coral box units to higher end Neptune Dos, GHL,etc..units out there..All work just fine..."best" depends on your definition/needs/budget,etc..

Unread 11/28/2019, 07:06 AM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

I use the BRS 1.1ml peristaltic pumps for my dosing needs. I have found them to be very easy to set up and use, extremely reliable, and reasonably priced. Pair them up with simple digital lamp timers from HD/Lowes and you are good to go.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2019, 07:48 AM   #5
Bpb
Registered Member

Agree. Peristaltic pumps are really the only way to do it unless you want to hand dose which would be annoying. Any of the commonly sold peristaltic pumps will perform roughly equal. And most all of them have a roller/motor replacement path for relatively cheap if something happens to die. Like someone else mentioned, the software is going to make the biggest difference in cost and reliability. I’d feel more comfortable with apex programming or ghl programming than I would a bubble magus or jebao unit. Motors will all function closely though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I use the Jebao DP-4, two years now, once calibrated, has been exceptional in its delivery of my ALK-CA-MG and my Carbon dosing.

Paid $106 on Amazon delivered. Came with everything except 1/4 tubing and a device to hold each tube out of the water.

Use 4 mason jars for holding.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2019, 09:51 AM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Just bear in mind that the LFS will always think the brands they carry are the best. If they have competing brands the one with the highest profit margin will be the best.

I stole the cynicism from Mgyvr.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2019, 03:07 PM   #8
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you're short of cash from setup, you can get by with hand-dosing until you can't, or until it's a chore. Then you can spring for the system.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote