Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2008, 09:42 PM   #76
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by elegance coral
The white line in the tissue running between the mouth and tentacles is nothing to worry about. Strontium is just as important to Elegance corals as it is to other stony corals.
if we are doing 20 per cent water changes every other week do we still need to supplement strontium?

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2008, 10:40 PM   #77
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

"if we are doing 20 per cent water changes every other week do we still need to supplement strontium?"

good question. think it really depends on your salt brand. Not sure if theres any recent-enough salt studies to rely on for that.

Next time I do a water change I'll do a strontium check on my instant ocean mix. I would have done it tonight but I had already done it for the main tank before my WC. Took me about 35 minutes for the whole test because there are 5 separate parts to the kit and some require 15 minutes between additions.

but what I do like about the salifert strontium test is that it gives you a calcium reading about halfway through the test. My API test said 380 calcium and the Sr test said 400. It was my first time doing the test so I wouldn't be suprised if I made some minor errors.

p.s. i dont recall there being a reef tank in Home Alone! hehe j/k

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2008, 11:29 PM   #78
JM68
Registered Member

Quote:
your tank is the same size as mine--just wondering how close you have the elegance to the substrate
the elegance itself is about 4-5" off the bottom, you can actually c the sand in the lower left hand corner of the picture. i wanted to put it in the sand, but my sandbed isn't deep enough(1") to bury the skeleton enough to support it and keep it upright so i had to put it in a crevice on the rock.

JM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2008, 01:21 AM   #79
chris wright
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanBrucks
"if we are doing 20 per cent water changes every other week do we still need to supplement strontium?"

good question. think it really depends on your salt brand. Not sure if theres any recent-enough salt studies to rely on for that.

Next time I do a water change I'll do a strontium check on my instant ocean mix. I would have done it tonight but I had already done it for the main tank before my WC. Took me about 35 minutes for the whole test because there are 5 separate parts to the kit and some require 15 minutes between additions.

but what I do like about the salifert strontium test is that it gives you a calcium reading about halfway through the test. My API test said 380 calcium and the Sr test said 400. It was my first time doing the test so I wouldn't be suprised if I made some minor errors.

I've found that instant ocean is low in the main parameters, so I'd say its low on the minor elements as well.

chris wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2008, 02:38 PM   #80
erichatesmice
Registered Member

Here's mine. I've had him for 5 months.

Unread 03/08/2008, 06:53 PM   #81
elegance coral
They call me EC

WOW! That is a beautiful pic. My pic's never look that good.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2008, 07:20 PM   #82
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:

I just left a question about salt mixes in the reef chemistry forum because I use IO also and know the calcium level for one is lower then the others

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1340746

yeah--grandkids---they love the reef tanks--I wish I had been able to keep one in my science class at school-----great learning tools

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 03/08/2008, 08:26 PM   #83
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

Here they are when they are fully extended.

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2008, 08:32 PM   #84
bradleyj
Reefkeeping Mag Staff

WOOPS wrong thread with the picture above.

Here's my elegance.

Current Tank Info: 335g Leemar
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2008, 12:26 PM   #85
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

Hey guys,

I followed a link from capns strontium thread to this caresheet page: http://www.asira.org/catalaphyllia%28elegancecoral%29

I noticed that it says not to keep elegance with leather corals. Can anybody substantiate this? Anybody keeping them with leather corals? Is there something too potent about the chemical warfare given off by leathers?

a sinularia frag was given to me a few days ago and its been in the tank with my elegance. during that time period the elegance has not gotten worse, only better (it was already not extending all the way befre the sinularia was added but its almost back to normal now)

Ryan

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2008, 01:31 PM   #86
jadeguppy
Registered Member

I have leathers in my tank, but they are near the overflow to help chemical warfare get flushed to the skimmer before it reaches my elegance.

jadeguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2008, 02:00 PM   #87
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

I followed a link from capns strontium thread to this caresheet page: http://www.asira.org/catalaphyllia%28elegancecoral%29

I noticed that it says not to keep elegance with leather corals. Can anybody substantiate this? Anybody keeping them with leather corals? Is there something too potent about the chemical warfare given off by leathers?

a sinularia frag was given to me a few days ago and its been in the tank with my elegance. during that time period the elegance has not gotten worse, only better (it was already not extending all the way befre the sinularia was added but its almost back to normal now)

Ryan
that was kind of a dorky link--there is much more meaningful stuff that elegance coral has offered right in this thread

Unread 03/09/2008, 02:02 PM   #88
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jadeguppy
I have leathers in my tank, but they are near the overflow to help chemical warfare get flushed to the skimmer before it reaches my elegance.
they only do that if stressed or upagainst another coral so they can take it over by a hormone they use that prevents the growth of other corals
If you have lots of flow--20-40 times the vol of your tank in gph then there should not be a problem with them and the hormone they release.

Unread 03/09/2008, 05:08 PM   #89
gastone
Registered Member

Just got this specemin last week. Have wanted a cataphylia for the past five years, but with the dismal survival rates of indo elegances I refused to do it. One of my local LFS got this aussie in. I could say no no longer.

Garrett.

Current Tank Info: 42Hex, 250W Radium in a lumenarc mini + 2x24W T5 Blue+ and 2x24W T5 actinic connected to a 30 gallon zoanthid tank currently lit by 4x39W T5 (Actinic, blue+, pro color, blue+)
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2008, 05:08 PM   #90
gastone
Registered Member

dp

Current Tank Info: 42Hex, 250W Radium in a lumenarc mini + 2x24W T5 Blue+ and 2x24W T5 actinic connected to a 30 gallon zoanthid tank currently lit by 4x39W T5 (Actinic, blue+, pro color, blue+)
Unread 03/09/2008, 05:32 PM   #91
erichatesmice
Registered Member

Wow gastone that elegance is AMAZING.

As for leathers, I have one but it's on the opposite side of the tank (about 2ft away)

Unread 03/09/2008, 09:25 PM   #92
reefman13
Registered Member

gastone- that specimen is awesome. How big is it?

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2008, 11:35 PM   #93
Frozn
Registered Member

Clown is gone now.. cant have him beating up my elegance

Frozn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2008, 01:43 PM   #94
gastone
Registered Member

thanks guys. I've had it for just over a week now. Has settled in nicely. I only hope that it is here to stay. Expanded it is about 9-10" long, and about 4-5" at its widest. It eats up real estate, but then again in time I hope it will be the focal point.

Two more on my wish list and I'm done (fateful last words): a red scolymia, and a red goniopora. That's the nice thing about a small tank... you can't keep adding as you run out of room.

g.

Unread 03/19/2008, 03:42 PM   #95
JRaquatics
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Here is my new Ausie ellegance I traded a LFS for frags. I will also plan on getting a pink tip aussie frag when the weather gets better. Got it last weekend. So far so good.

JRaquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2008, 04:28 PM   #96
Kellie in CA
Registered Member

This may be a dumb question. But how can you tell the difference between the Indonesian and Aussie varieties? I received one of these last weekend as a gift from my boyfriend (he meant well), but after doing a lot of reading, I am not sure what its chances for survival are.

Kellie in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2008, 08:09 PM   #97
SCIFI_3D_zoo
Registered Member

Is there a thread, FAQ, or article about how to take care of an Elegence? I never heard the idea about rinsing some foods b/c they are so sensitive to Phos. Is that just with food or Phos in the water column too? Any other tips to keep one of these.

SCIFI_3D_zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2008, 07:24 PM   #98
amphirion
Registered Member

Hey, I just ordered an Aussie Elegance at an LFS from Montreal. It should arrive in Quebec tomorrow and I should get it by Saturday. I'll post some pics!!

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2008, 06:00 PM   #99
amphirion
Registered Member

Here is my new Aussi Elegance I got 4 days ago!

Pink tips:

That coral is really fascinating. Tonight, my Clarki clown is starting to host it, I hope he'll get away from the elegance since I don't want the coral to be stressed.

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2008, 06:06 PM   #100
SCIFI_3D_zoo
Registered Member

If he's gonna do it then there's no stopping. If he's taken to it so quickly you're probably gonna have a problem. Have to see how rough he gets with it. Rubbing into it hard, etc. My clown is hosting in a large finger leather and he was biting the tips off. But this leather can handle a clown.

SCIFI_3D_zoo is offline   Reply With Quote