Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2020, 07:17 AM   #1
Roberthein
Registered Member

Digital salinometer: Salinity level in ppt?

I got s pico tank i plan to have tiny fish and some hermits, but im unsure about salinity, i know it depends on temperture also.

Found this table, see selected rage, is that correct?

(Click for full preview)

Roberthein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 11:21 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

If I'm understanding your question correctly... A temperature of ~ 78F and SG of 1.0264 (35ppt) is what most hobbyists aim for. Unless you are keeping cold water species.

This Salinity Conversion Calculator may be of some interest: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...Conversion.php

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 11:32 AM   #3
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

In my experience it is more important to keep the salinity stable than to hit the number exactly on the head. Changing conditions are much worse than slightly off parameters. That is why pico tanks are so hard, they change rapidly. Big tanks change much more slowly, and are easier to be successful.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

With Picos you need to keep the water level as constant as possible. An auto top-off would help. You don't need to buy one, just figure out the amount of daily evaporation, use a water bottle and set-up a drip feed with air-line tubing.

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2020, 03:41 AM   #5
Roberthein
Registered Member

Thanks guys, all great tips!

Ok so 35ppt is my goal, i kinda knew that already, but i thought its had to match my temperature.

And yes, i def. need auto top-off, last time i had a nano water evaporation in no time, in living in Thailand.

🙏

Roberthein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2020, 02:04 PM   #6
hkgar
Registered Member

PPT is not temp related but SG is

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refractometer, salinity, salinometer, salt