Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2009, 11:17 AM   #26
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Thanks Lynn!
I did check out coralpedia last night and didn't find anything quite like it. I"m sure it's just a morph from one of the big three colors (red, green, purple) that turned out to be a nice find.

Hell, I'll just name it myself! We'll call it Timmy the Queen's LE Rainbow Pride Flag People Eater. I guess that'd be TtQLERPFPE for short....easy enough!
I just stumbled across it at Wet Pets and thought it was another RPE. I got a single polyp from them back when I was brand new to reefing for $1 out of their frag bucket. Neither of us knew what it was until it grew out into a nice colony. Sadly, they're all but melted away now. I can't get them to come back. They're all tiny and barely alive on a rock. The original is my avitar.

Flow is definitely acceptable! I have a pair of K2s and a K1 in the middle. My return is up there, but isn't much to speak of. The great thing is I have tons of flow up top, but the diffused flow of the koralia pumps is pretty gentle down low. My LPS have no trouble down there. I just make sure I aim the flow paths into one another to create some turbulence and randomness in the water column.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 02:03 AM   #27
zxanth
Registered Member

Love the color of the Cyphastrea where did you get that. Pics are really good, kinda curiuos how to get the colors on some of the corals to show up correctly. I have a problem showing pinks and light blues w/o beingwashed out by the mh

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon FOWLR/ Reef combo. Latest addition is 13 gallon nano
zxanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 07:46 AM   #28
Reef Happy
Registered Member

Wow, that lobo is coloring up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
Alright, some new pics are finally up. Here's one of the new lobo that shows off its colors much better

a better pic of the Nukes

Can anyone ID this people eater? This is a shot that shows its color better than the other. it's almost rainbowish with the blues, reds, and greens

and finally a good one of the cyphastrea

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

(Eagles) LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal starfire Reef Tank, SPS, LPS and zoas, 3-LumenMax MH fixtures driven by 250 watt icecap's and Radium bulbs, 2-Tunze 6105 controllable pumps with 7095 multi controller, 100 gal sump/refugium... 100 gal tank with T-5's
Reef Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 08:56 AM   #29
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I put my camera on a tripod, set the shutter speed pretty slow and the aperture high. I normally turn the exposure down to -.3 or -.7 as well. I'd rather have to lighten a pic than darken it in PS.
I do remove some of the cyan and occasionally some blue when working with my pics, but that's all the color modification I do. If I can't tweak it back to what it really looks like I just delete the pic. I've sat by my tank with my computer while tweaking a few to make sure I don't do too much or not enough.
for shots higher up, I shoot most every way I can, delete a ton and try my best not to get a washed out picture. I think some of the better photographers here would be able to give you better details than I can. I do A LOT of trial and error

Unread 11/26/2009, 08:09 PM   #30
MarshaW
Registered Member

You have a beautiful tank.

An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault.

William Castle

Current Tank Info: 12 gallon Nano Cube and a 50 gallon bowfront
MarshaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 12:22 AM   #31
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Thank you! Hopefully I'll have it back to its former glory in another 6 mos or so.

Unread 12/08/2009, 04:16 PM   #32
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I built a new stand yesterday to accommodate the new system design.

When I move everything to my inlaws' place (tank, birds, wife) to sit until I wrap up ASBC (air force stuff) I'm going to add my 20 long into the system to serve as a frag tank and to add some extra water volume (stability!) to the system That will leave me a 33g Display, 20g frag tank and a 10g sump in the end.

The stand is just bare 2x4 and plywood right now, but I'll probably give it a quick, cheap plywood skin to make it look some what acceptable and then re-finish it with oak and hardwood trim when I get to Pensacola in Feb.

My next steps will be to run the plumbing and drill the 20L for its overflow.

45" 2x4 posts

support posts (26"tall) to hold the shelf for the 20L

bracing under the plywood. I bounced on this for a few seconds and it didn't budge or flex

a cross brace to hold the 33g. The tank will have several inches on either side, so it needed something across the middle and the front. Again, it passed the fat-*** bounce test. The cross beam also has posts under it for added support

and the final picture with my handy-dandy paint mockup

I'll also make room for a power center behind the ATO and I'll be hanging 2x 70w MH for the frag tank. I may add VHO actinics to that if I feel froggy.

It's a bit of a franken-stand right now, but some skinning and trim will make it look like an acceptable piece of furniture

Unread 12/08/2009, 04:56 PM   #33
Reef Happy
Registered Member

Looking nice Cody. Can't wait to see the final product..

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

(Eagles) LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Current Tank Info: 300 Gal starfire Reef Tank, SPS, LPS and zoas, 3-LumenMax MH fixtures driven by 250 watt icecap's and Radium bulbs, 2-Tunze 6105 controllable pumps with 7095 multi controller, 100 gal sump/refugium... 100 gal tank with T-5's
Reef Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 05:38 PM   #34
Lytehouse
seeker of knowledge

nice haniwork cody

The challenge is the fun.
Lytehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 10:52 PM   #35
happysak
Registered Member

Very nice, Cody. Love paintjob on SUV

happysak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 11:17 PM   #36
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Haha, that's my step sister's. She's a senior in HS...I hope that explains enough
I had to steal a third of my dad's garage for the works so I didn't freeze on my apartment's back porch for this project.

Oh, it's a big sticker, so it can be removed when they sell the car. I'd never put zebra on my car....i'm more of a leopard print guy

Unread 12/09/2009, 06:51 AM   #37
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody6766 View Post
I'd never put zebra on my car....i'm more of a leopard print guy
You'll shoot your eye out!

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 11:34 AM   #38
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Time for a small update on the stand

I got the doors cut and hung, but they don't quite hold up like I'd like. I tried to use clips to hold the doors on and avoid hinges, but they couldn't hold the weight of the panels. I'm going to head out today to design a hinge system of some sort. I'm not sure where it'll lead, but hopefully I'll get something done in good time.

The front is Birch, the sides are pine. The ultimate goal is to do the whole thing in Oak or Birch, but that'll be in the future. Now I'm just working on a build that looks acceptable.

Front

Stain is Red Chestnut Minwax. This is the first coat. I'm going to apply another and possibly mix a little red oak stain into it to see if it browns it up a bit.

I cut a piece of 3/4" birch at 45's on the sides for a little overhang on the edges. it fits flush with the doors on the front.

More to come tonight

Unread 12/14/2009, 11:52 AM   #39
mikencarol
Damn My Avatar Buggs Me

Cody..just two more questions and I'll quit bugging you. Is that a Green Cheek Conure? Where did you get your Cyphestrea..I bought a green one from Odd Balls in Tulsa. It started kinda slow but now that I've moved it to the bottom of the tank..it has taken off. WorldWide corals has a red or purple that I'm gonna order. Thanks again

Current Tank Info: Water Water Everywhere.... and not a drop to drink "Although we are strangers to your side of the world....to live on the land, we must learn from the sea" John Denver
mikencarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 11:58 AM   #40
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Yup, that was my Green Cheek. He was the Cinnamon morph. He died back in June, unfortunately. We don't know why. My mother in law said he was perfectly healthy the day before he died but he was found dead the day before my wife and I got back from our honeymoon. It was a bit of a sad time, but I now have a blue Indian Ringneck Parakeet, as does my wife.

The Cyphestrea came from Greg's frag tank shortly after the Crase. It's really good grower. it's spreading like mad down at the bottom of the tank.

Unread 12/14/2009, 05:40 PM   #41
zxanth
Registered Member

might need to contact Greg for a frag of that....reall awesome color. you got some handyman skills. i would cut a finger off if i tried something like that.

oh off topic...your avatar...what is that zoo called. i have a bunch of that that i got from dustin and forgot the name of it.

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon FOWLR/ Reef combo. Latest addition is 13 gallon nano
zxanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 08:20 PM   #42
MarshaW
Registered Member

Beautiful!!

An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault.

William Castle

Current Tank Info: 12 gallon Nano Cube and a 50 gallon bowfront
MarshaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 10:57 PM   #43
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

more done today, centering around the doors.

The previous mount system didn't work, so I had to add some hinges and make actual doors. I wanted to do hidden hinges, so I found some that didn't require any drilling aside from screw holes. They only open 90* instead of 110* but that's no trouble for me.

First step was to rip the panels down by about 3" on each side. They used to cover the 2x4's serving as posts entirely, but now it's only about half an inch on each side. This allows enough clearance for the hinge to work properly and still look good.

I used the ripped scraps to cover the 2x4s and make it all purdy. I'll still need edge trim in a bad way, but I needed that anyway. I'm also going to trim in the doors to hide some of the imperfections you'll see in the pics below.

The handles are satin nickle finish, but it's not all that evident in the pics. I retained the clips to hold the doors closed on the right and the euro-hinges are on the left.

this pic shows off the finish nicely. This is pre-poly, just stained and lightly sanded. Look at those nekked corners! gross!

Here's a shot with the hardware mounted. When I do the trim work I'll go in and veneer the open edges that won't be covered in trim and stain all the little bright spots where the wood shows through.

On the to do list now:
Trim and final staining
Poly coat
Kills sprayed inside
Holes drilled for plumbing
Build power center for plug box and switch panels (no more pulling plugs, just throw a switch)
Probably build baffles in 20g tank for a new sump
Plumb that bad boy in and get her running!

Unread 12/15/2009, 05:42 AM   #44
Lightsluvr
Tangaroa to 500 gallons

You did a great job cutting a perfect line through your finished wood... I would have made a mess of that...

You never cease to amaze me...

LL

Click on my username and select "Lightsluvr's Home Page" for a recap of our build thread - AGE Hybrid Tank in a 500G system with dedicated fish room. (Takes a few minutes for photos to load) Leave a note if you stop by...

Current Tank Info: 350G AGE Hybrid reef tank. 500G+ total water volume. Three sumps for filtration. Barracuda Gold return and Hammerhead Gold closed loop pumps. DIY T5 light system on rails. MP40W x3 to supplement closed loop. 130G Water management system.
Lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 09:04 AM   #45
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

It wasn't my great carpentry skills that made it possible. They're more like 'okay' carpentry skills. I've been using a small table saw with a good plywood blade (wish I would have bought an ultra finishing blade). I just set the fence and ran it through. Running finish side up kept the chipped edges on the back. Trust me, there are some mistakes hidden under some of that outer wood work. That's why we have trim, right?

Unread 12/15/2009, 09:31 AM   #46
Lytehouse
seeker of knowledge

Just 6 days ago this was a 2x4 frame. Nice work Cody.

Looks great

The challenge is the fun.
Lytehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 10:37 PM   #47
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

Yeah, it definitely looks better than a 2x4 frame!
Thanks!

I would have loved to be lazy and leave it in raw 2x4 form, but it's going to be sitting in my inlaws' place for 2 months while I"m at ASBC and I though I should give them something decent to look at while I take up their floor space. I may trim it in this week, depending on scheduling and xmas shopping.

Unread 12/16/2009, 08:06 AM   #48
Triple_B
Registered Member

Great job! I really love your coral selection, a lot of very vibrant colors in there. Good luck at ASBC, sir!

Triple_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2009, 12:10 PM   #49
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

^^^Thanks, on both accounts! I hear ASBC is...well....LT daycare is how I heard it described. At least I'll be getting paid though! It's the nav training at P-cola that I'm looking forward to

Unread 02/15/2010, 12:49 PM   #50
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

How about an update from Alabama?

I shot these pics before I left, but they're w/o a tripod so they're really out of focus in some areas. According to Jennifer all is well in there, so I'm hoping for coral that are nothing but bigger when I get back to OK to move it all to Florida in a couple of weeks.

As you can see, the stand still isn't finished. It needs corner molding and probably some sort of door treatment. I haven't decided how or what, but I"ll stress over that when I get it to Pensacola.

I'm really happy with the aquascaping and the 2-pane viewing. I'm going to try my best to recreate it in florida. The little island jutting out of the middle allows some interesting coral placment possibilities and adds some depth to a relatively small tank.

Left side

Right/front side