Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/13/2008, 02:56 AM   #101
ThrowinRoost89
Registered Member

aahhh

ive only had my 120's sump running for about 2 weeks now and i have not actually checked if my emergency drain would handle the mag 12.

sooooooo, i just tried it.
i have the 2 1in emg drains T'ed to 1 and then into the sump. so i closed both of my gate valves and they handle the mag 12 no prob. i plugged the top of one emg drain with my thunb and the water level started to rise, and when i pulled my thumb out the water level went back down in a couple seconds.

but it that would only happen if both drains got plugged at the same time.

i would think you would want you EMERGENCY EMERGENCY drain as loud as possible, so you know s___ is rolling down hill quick lol

Current Tank Info: 120g reef...... WITH A TANG IN IT!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Unread 02/13/2008, 08:04 AM   #102
RobbyG
Registered Member

Count me in on any campaign to get back Bean.
Bean is a Cool breeze of logic in a world full of BS.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
Unread 02/13/2008, 08:54 AM   #103
GuySmilie
Premium Member

Thumbs up For Those In Need Of Their Daily BeanAnimal Fix

Looks like the BeanAnimal has intentions to continue his critical, provocative, and often intelligent dialog of all things DIY. Maybe he will add a discussion forum soon. (wink-wink)

http://www.beananimal.com/about.aspx

Personally, I hope that it becomes a popular hot-spot for critical analysis and lively debate/discussion among like-minded enthusiasts. Something sorely missing in our current P.C. culture.

Unread 02/13/2008, 11:54 AM   #104
hyperfocal
Registered Member

Yeah, the signal to noise ratio has dropped dangerously low. Thanks for the link.

Current Tank Info: getting back into the hobby
Unread 02/13/2008, 11:55 AM   #105
pescadero
Moved On

thanks for the link. i miss BeAn Animal and i really would like to know if he's taken up residence on another forum, as i would follow him there. WRT hosting your own forum -- that is an awful lot of work and consumes an awful lot of bandwidth. BTDT.

Unread 02/13/2008, 11:59 AM   #106
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Quote:
Originally posted by hyperfocal
Yeah, the signal to noise ratio has dropped dangerously low. Thanks for the link.
Agreed.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
Unread 02/13/2008, 07:18 PM   #107
RobbyG
Registered Member

I figure Mike H. will let Bean back in soon, but I think that Bean is way to big a fellow to be taught a lesson and most likely the Ban will mean that he will never participate the same way.

I really think the Mods should take a bit longer before banning A+ posters like Bean and Grim Reefer. Grim was never the same after his Ban, he just never seemed to be as enthusiastic about helping people and I fear that is what will happen with Bean if he returns.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
Unread 02/13/2008, 08:46 PM   #108
GuySmilie
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pescadero
thanks for the link. i miss BeAn Animal and i really would like to know if he's taken up residence on another forum, as i would follow him there. WRT hosting your own forum -- that is an awful lot of work and consumes an awful lot of bandwidth. BTDT.
I've set up several of these PHP-powered forums for clients before. There's not much work involved in doing so.....until the membership gets huge, like it is here at RC.

Unread 02/13/2008, 09:37 PM   #109
hyperfocal
Registered Member

Yeah, ironically it's the moderation that's the real work.

Current Tank Info: getting back into the hobby
Unread 02/18/2008, 05:28 PM   #110
mushumatt
Registered Member

I dont know if you guys can answer this question but does it matter how close together the bulkheads are. I am building a 8' long tank and i dont really want them to be right next to eachother could they be a few feet apart?

Current Tank Info: 40 BR w/20L sump
Unread 02/18/2008, 08:43 PM   #111
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

Quote:
Originally posted by mushumatt
I dont know if you guys can answer this question but does it matter how close together the bulkheads are. I am building a 8' long tank and i dont really want them to be right next to eachother could they be a few feet apart?

I dont think it matters so long as they are all feeding out of the same overflow box inside the tank.

Current Tank Info: tankless
Unread 02/18/2008, 09:54 PM   #112
faded1004
Registered Member

i am going to try this on my nano setup before i implement on my 260g... i hope all works well...

Unread 02/20/2008, 07:53 AM   #113
jimnrose
Registered Member

Wink

I'm new to the hobby and starting a 125 gallon reef tank. This thread is a great idea on how to design an overflow box including a lot of work by the author to describe the detains.
In my case, access is limited to one side of the tank and I'm thinking or having the water return (400+gph) via a manifold (1 1/4" pvc pipe)above the water line. Does this make sense????

Unread 02/20/2008, 10:13 AM   #114
GuySmilie
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimnrose
I'm new to the hobby and starting a 125 gallon reef tank.

Unread 02/20/2008, 10:28 AM   #115
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

jimnrose,
Welcome!

Yes To have the return line above the water line is fine. Do you mean up and over the side of the tank?

I dont care for having the actual water outlet above water due to noise and splashing, which creates salt creep (buildup of salt crystals on dry surfaces).

When you put the outlet nozzle under the water, you must drill an antisiphon hole just below the water level. This way, the tank will only drain down to that level when the power goes out, or the pump stops.

You may already know this, if so great.
HTH, and let us know how your installation goes.
Chris

Unread 02/20/2008, 10:57 AM   #116
jimnrose
Registered Member

The only two options I have is to either come back into the display uner the overflow box or go over the side and come back to the water level (via fittings). I didn't like the first option because the bulkhead fitting would be very low (to the water level) and if a leak developed I would loose a lot of water, etc, plus the reefs would interfere with the return distribution pipe. Sooo, I left with coming over the top. I could add drop lines (fittings) thereby having the entry points below the water level therby avoiding the noise, splashing and salt problems. Does that make sense?
I just ordered the tank (125 gal: 72x24x17) & now plan to order the PVC fittings. It's time to spend.
Thanks for your inputs Chris.

Unread 02/28/2008, 07:50 PM   #117
Der_Iron_Chef
Registered Member

I don't know if this has already been asked (read the entire thread--several times--before), but.....will drilling the three holes compromise the structural integrity of the glass?

I have a 55G made from 3/8" glass. What are everyone's drilling recommendations?

Unread 02/28/2008, 09:07 PM   #118
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Drilling three holes should be fine. It is a good idea to keep the holes at least 1.5 diameter apart.

Be careful, many 55 gallon tanks are reported to have tempered sides.

The only problem I see is that a 55 gallon tank is very narrow and does not allow much room for an internal overflow AND room to get light into the tank.

You may consider an internal overflow box with a very narrow profle that feeds an external overflow box and the standpipes.

Unread 02/28/2008, 09:44 PM   #119
jimnrose
Registered Member

I'm planning on drilling 2 3/4" holes thru 3/8" acrylic with only 1 3/8" spacing. I haven't done this before and the tank is still 'on order' but plan to purchase a new cutting bit. If anyone has drilled large loes thru acrylic and could please give me guidance I would appreciate it.

Unread 02/28/2008, 10:36 PM   #120
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

You may want to check with Acrylics here at RC regarding the hole spacing with acrylic. I don't see that it will be a problem. Acrylic can flex a great deal before it fails due to stress. Glass is not so forgiving and a small crack quickly becomes a large crack.

You will either want to use a router and a template or a holesaw. If you use a stnadard holesaw, you will need to cut very slowly and use a good deal of water to keep the tailings out of the kerf. If they are not removed they will melt and the saw will get stuck.

Unread 02/28/2008, 11:28 PM   #121
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

Also to prevent chip out on the backside of the hole, remove the holesaw just before breaking through and finish the hole from the opposite side. The pilot hole will line it up perfectly and you will have a clean cut.

If at all possible, use a router and a template made with your holesaw and some wood. A bit of double sided tape and a flush trim bit will get you a perfect hole.

You obviously cant use a router if its too close to the edge. A holesaw will work fine, just not as clean. You dont want to overheat the tank either. Cut for a bit and let it cool, or use water as Bean mentioned.

Unread 02/29/2008, 07:41 AM   #122
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

I learned the hard way... I have had a holesaw STUCK in acrylic a few times before I realized there had to be a better way.

Unread 02/29/2008, 07:50 AM   #123
jimnrose
Registered Member

Thaks for the guidance and I'll proceed with caution. I'm looking forward to installing the overflow box design that Bean described on theis thread.

Unread 02/29/2008, 08:02 AM   #124
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Let us know how it turns out.

Unread 02/29/2008, 09:29 AM   #125
RV8tor
Registered Member

Bean
Welcome back,,,
I am going to use your overflow design but with a DIY glass-hole style overflow. I have not drilled anything yet but I have 1.5 inch bulkheads on order. my overflow will go 3/4 the length of the tank. I am using a 900 GPH return pump and my current overflows goes directly into my DIY Skimmer. The skimmer can handle this flow but, Do you think that I can continue to do directly into my skimmer with your silent overflow design? The other two standpipe will go into the sump as for the emergency and only one would go into the skimmer. The output of the overflows is under water inside my skimmer. it is a venturi skimmer just to give you an idea what I am using. I was also wondering where did you get your true union ball valve at?

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>

Current Tank Info: 220 gal reef
Closed Thread