Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/05/2018, 08:32 AM   #1
raphmac
Registered Member

Gobies blennies and dartfish

Hello I was thinking about a few things and am wondering if they will work:

1- Are there any completely reef safe blennies ( I’ve heard some species could nip at certain lps coral ) that aren’t aggressive towards other similar looking fish ( like gobies, firefish, ect...)because I would love to keep one.

2- could I keep several gobies of different species in my tank? ( already have a blue spot sleeper and would like to add a yellow watchman and maybe a pink bar shrimp goby)

3- Can I have 2-3 dartfish with each one being from a different species (1 firefish, 1 purple fire, and maybe a scissor tailed dartfish)

And if all of those ideas could work can I keep all of these fish together
I have a 160g established mixed reef that’s almost empty (fish wise)
ooh just remembered that I wanted to know if I could get a green male dragonet for my red female (food is no issue as I am going to start hatching baby brine and setup a feeder for my mandarin and try to get her to eat cyclops and frozen plankton I have)

Any knowledge shared about these topics is greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance.

raphmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Brian J
Registered Member

I currently have a scissor tail and a purple firefish in a small QT tank and they are fine together. From what I have read, there may be an issue between a red and purple firefish, as they are from the same genus. Maybe in your size tank it will work. I have had a pair of gold head sleeper gobies in with a watchman goby in a 90 G reef without an issue.

Brian J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Newly hatched brine shrimp are not very nutritious however you could soak them in phyto and selcon in an effort to increase their worth.

Most will not survive on this, if you have kept a mandarin for more than 6 months your pod level is high enough and sustainable.

Adding a second will half it’s available food, and that’s just a gamble you have to decide.

After more than 25 years keeping the mandarin I have learned they either have enough food and survive for many years, or die in about 3-5 months

The bad part is if there is not enough food, you lose both!

Never once have I seen a wild mandarin hunt and peck anything but PODS

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2019, 06:54 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Barnacle blennies are reef safe.
Most Meiacanthus blennies should be reef safe as well.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2019, 12:33 PM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Never once have I seen a wild mandarin hunt and peck anything but PODS
Almost every mandarin I had would eventually go after frozen mysis and frozen brine shrimp.
The real problem is that they are extremely slow in making a decision to eat any given bite so other fish will too often snap the bite away before the mandarin decides to eat it. Eventually they may learn to get quicker, but in a community tank frozen foods will never be more than a supplement.
But in a species tank I could see them surviving largely on frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, and other suitable frozen foods.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote