Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2011, 12:19 PM   #51
xtlosx
Just Reefin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevisdad View Post
Birds and Beasts Pet Shop
www.birdsandbeastspetshop.com
35-18 Berkshire Drive
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
(815) 477-7387

Also expensive for livestock but they have a (I think free)pet club for 10% off all purchases and a 2x yearly sale for members.

Their big pet club sale is awesome, you can score some nice deals! It's coming up isn't it??

xtlosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2011, 09:15 AM   #52
spseminara
Registered Member.

There used to be a place called.
JR's Aquatics - Dave Cech
Tinley Park
708-633-7333

Not sure if they're open still

spseminara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2011, 03:10 PM   #53
sps coral
Moved On

thank alot of crooks
some the fish store ,it is new for me

sps coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2011, 03:32 PM   #54
pakarinen
Registered Member

Any comments on Tropi-quatics in Lombard? I've seen several bad reviews - poor customer service, high restocking fees, etc. (I do take Internet reviews with a grain of salt.)

Any comments on Upscale on Rt 59 in Plainfield? I stopped by on a Monday, but they were closed and all the windows are blacked out so I couldn't see what the place looks like.

Thanks!

pakarinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2011, 10:03 PM   #55
Ahlberg
Registered Member

The Scott who used to run Scott's in Westchester now has a brand new store open in Oak Park...Oak Park Natural Pet & Fish

http://www.oakparknaturalpetandfish....-bin/index2.pl

23 North Harlem Avenue
Oak Park, Illinois 60302
(708) 660-9500

GREAT deals on everything, we live right by it and have compared with numerous other stores around here, decent selection. PLUS he's having a big sale this month since the store just opened!

Ahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 02:29 PM   #56
ashtree68
Registered Member

Is that the same Scott's who opened all the other tanks/had(has?) the big shark tank in front? I didn't think the reviews were that great, or is this a different Scott? Hopefully a different Scott, another LFS not too far from me would be nice to see.

Unread 06/03/2011, 05:14 PM   #57
Ahlberg
Registered Member

No, that is a different guy...I think you'll like this place in Oak Park! Check it out.

Unread 06/04/2011, 02:41 PM   #58
mikuarium
Registered Member

Tropi-quatics in lombard is pretty decent. As far as customer service, there are a couple guys who know saltwater fish pretty well. The others, not so much. Their tanks are clean, fish are healthy, salinity in their saltwater is perfect. They have a lot of choice as well. Never bought coral from them. Seems too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakarinen View Post
Any comments on Tropi-quatics in Lombard? I've seen several bad reviews - poor customer service, high restocking fees, etc. (I do take Internet reviews with a grain of salt.)

Any comments on Upscale on Rt 59 in Plainfield? I stopped by on a Monday, but they were closed and all the windows are blacked out so I couldn't see what the place looks like.

Thanks!

mikuarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2011, 03:18 PM   #59
Carriegiesler
Registered Member

I went to New Fish twice over the last two weeks and each time I left with awsome stuff. Great prices and great customer service. The have a huge tank they are setting up in the back part of the store. I cant wait for it to see water.

Current Tank Info: tech 70 w/ 25 sump
Carriegiesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2011, 08:19 PM   #60
Ahlberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriegiesler View Post
I went to New Fish twice over the last two weeks and each time I left with awsome stuff. Great prices and great customer service. The have a huge tank they are setting up in the back part of the store. I cant wait for it to see water.
Where's New Fish?

Unread 06/05/2011, 08:11 AM   #61
Carriegiesler
Registered Member

New Fish
1180 N Milwaukee Ave Floor 1
Chicago, IL 60642
773) 384-5420

Open Weekdays 11am-7pm; Sat 10am-6pm; Sun 11am-5pm

In the heart of Wicker Park however parking is pretty easy, but you have to feed the meter. or you could take the Blue line Subway to Divison and walk across the street to the store.

Current Tank Info: tech 70 w/ 25 sump

Last edited by Carriegiesler; 06/05/2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added more info
Carriegiesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2011, 10:54 AM   #62
crooks
Registered Member

Global Aquatics Retail
745 N Edgewood Av
Wood Dale 60191
Mon & Wed. 1--5pm
Friday 1--6pm
Sat. 11a--5pm
Cisco or Bill

crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2011, 01:40 PM   #63
Sweeper13
Registered Member

When I was looking for my tank I called around. Tropi-quatics & Rob's Aquatics gave me the best price. I had to go with Tropi-quatics because they were closer to me. They have a real good fish selection. Tanks are clean.

Rob's Aquatics, Rob was very helpful and willing to spend time and answer my questions over the phone. Have never been to his store.

Scotts new store in Oakpark is nice. I was just used to the old store in Westchester and the old crew that used to work there.

Have Fun

Sweeper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2011, 02:16 AM   #64
emuirishguy414
Registered Member

+1 New Fish
http://newfishchicago.com/

Current Tank Info: 7.5 gallon ADA cube Micro Reef
emuirishguy414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2011, 06:07 PM   #65
sixty4tw
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm kind of new here (RC and Chicago area) and I just wanted to add my 2c here. First though, I want say this is a very useful thread so thank you for starting it! I also want to point out that I am probably very much an idealist in terms of ethics and I realize that the LFS business is a tough one, so I don't want to sound like I am bashing anyone since I am not in their shoes...

(note: I am keeping a FOWLR tank so I am not knowledgable about coral and inverts and therfore will not comment much on that)

Oak Park Natural Pet and Fish: I live just a few blocks away so it is good to have someone so local. Most days you will find "Jim" working there (Russian guy I think). He is very helpful (did a full blown water sample test for me using his Salifert Kit) and is pretty knowledgable. I've met Scott a few times and while he is an ok guy he does not have the best people skills. Prices are very fair. Their tanks are clean and their livestock is healthy although somewhat limited (seem to have a lof FW). They do have a better than average selection of inverts. Not much in the way of live rock and no deals there. They have a few species that I don't feel should be offered in the trade (i.e sharks) and several "expert only" fish and I am uncetain as to whether they would discourage a customer with little experience from buying. I would say it's a good place to buy from if you know what you are looking for. Their selection of drygoods and equipment is average.

Ocean Design Aquarium: They just moved to a new location on Addison and are still getting settled in a bit. Staff is very friendly and helpful, Tony especially. The prices are good and the livestock looks healthy but most of it is "just in". Tanks look very clean and well maintained. Selection of SW fish is pretty good. They are offering "Florida cultured live rock" (leafy plants growing on it?) and don't currently have a stock of premium LR but I'm guessing they will. Selection of drygoods and equipment is average. I would feel comfortable buying from them.

Coral Reef Pet Shop: Not at all impressed with this place. Their tanks do not seem well maintained and most are way overcrowded. On one visit I counted FOUR dead fish in their tanks and one contained a larger wrasse with very obvious ICH (shared water system of course). Many of the other fish seem overstressed and ragged. Their frag tanks seem especially dirty. The fish room in general just seems run down. Staff does not seem very helpful or knowledgable. One guy suggested that I could keep as many as a dozen fish in my 30g tank with "no problem" and when asked about compatibility had nothing much to offer. I simply would not shop here...sorry guys.

Tropi-quatics:I only had one visit there but it seems like a decent shop. Tanks are very clean and livestock healthy but the selection of SW fish is a bit limited, although I'm sure it fluctuates. The staff member I dealt with was very helpful and knowledgable. To his credit, when I asked him about the selection of live rock he admitted that it was not very well-cured and unless I was going to do it myself it needed more time. Drygoods and equipment is better than average and has a decent selection of used tanks. Seems like a good place. I would buy from them.

Old Town Aquarium: Finally got to visit this past week and even though parking is a bit of a challenge it was well worth it. One of the nicest stores you will see, very well laid out and well stocked. First things first...their prices ARE higher than most but to me that is not everything. Also, there is a noticable "attitude" with some of the staff but nothing I would really be bothered by. And they do try to "sell" you. I will also say that they are quite knowledgable. They do have a great selection of SW fish and inverts and lots of stuff you don't see elsewhere. I have to give the staff member who helped some credit (I think his name is Joe, younger skinny guy). I purchased a fish here, a Chalk Bass (very fairly priced) and we was willing to take the time to net the one I wanted (out of 3) and had to pull a good deal of rock out of the DT to do so. The fish is healthy and acclimating well. One thing that I found very disconcerting though. I was told that their fish-only tanks were being kept at hypo-salinity...1.012!! I am guessing they have had some problems but I really wonder how difficullt it would be to acclimate a fish from that level to that of the average home aquarium. Fortunately the specimen I bought was from a fish and invert tank that was kept at 1.024 so no problem there. Their live rock seems very high quality but is a whopping $12.00/lb. Drygoods and equipment selection are very good. Bottom line, it is a quality store and you often get what you pay for (ask all of those who buy online from DD).

New Fish: I really like this store. They have probably the friendlist and most knowledgable staff of any place I have been. They do not pressure you at all and will answer any questions. Their displays are very nice and the livestock extremely healthy. The selection of SW fish is decent but not huge. I purchased a Yellow Watchman Goby from them and he is doing great. Prices are very fair. They have some nice well-cured live rock at a decent price. Drygoods and equipment is a bit limited but it is a small store. Highly recommend them. By the way, parking is not too bad of you look for a place on the opposite side of Milwaukee and a bit south of the store.

Well, hope that my experiences are helpful to you. Nice to be here...

Cheers,

Tom

sixty4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 12:55 AM   #66
gumby26
Registered Member

Hidden Reef in beach park. off of wadsworth and greenbay rd. a.k.a. route 31.it is a little hidden but its worth finding. has very good selection,the owner (hector)is great,they have only been open for a little over a year so his staff is young but is growing with the store(Ive known them for qiut a while so I love messing with them! lol) they give 7 day guarantee on fish, I know he pays someone to pick out his fish from a wholesaler in LA so they are always sweet! I usually just get coral cause he gets such wikked pieces!! he gets his coral trans shipped in so its not cherry picked in LA, so they always get a one of a kind pieces!(my fav, you know! but you have to be fast cause ALOT of coral addicts hit the spot on coral shippment days!(me being one of them LOL) all the fishheads hit the spot on fish shipment days also for that matter!lol and if they dont have it they'll get it for you and the icing on the cake..... he's cheaper then EVERYBODY!
I bet you cant just go once! my fav shop!

Old town aquarium is a very nice shop but like sixty4tw put it parking is a pain! the staff is knowledgable but I do feel that "attitude" from some of the staff almost like "you aint going to buying anything or aint spending enough so why do you keep bothering me asking questions" what can I say I like to ask alot of questions, lol. they do have a great selection and very nice corals but end up seeing the same pieces week after week cause of the high prices. havent been there for a while for the same reason. still a good place though

gumby26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 08:49 PM   #67
danielp
Registered Member

Anybody been lately at Ocean Design Aquarium? Did they already stock all of their tanks? I want to go and check it out but also not waste my time if they are still in the process of filling in their tanks. Any feedback appreciated, thanks.

danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2011, 09:08 PM   #68
dohc97
Registered Member

I was just there today, all the tanks are loaded with fish, he also has some florida cultured rock, I have a fish on hold
As far as coral he is not really up to speed yet, he had quite a bit of softies a couple acans here and there and some sps with promise of color, nice ponape birdsnest and a couple clams. I took the nicest looking sps piece today so if you are looking for corals specially sps i would wait a little more. It seems like every time i go in there he has a few more frags.

Current Tank Info: IM 25 lagoon, diy stand, kessil A360we, mp10 wes qd, apex jr
dohc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 07:48 AM   #69
BallaBooyeaH
Premium Member

My business partner and a staff member will be in Chicago next week for a conference on seahorses held in your town. We are the largest LFS in Ireland and very keen to get out to some shops to see how things are done in the States to see what ideas we can bring home.

What we are looking for is the following - Good shop layout with a good selection of Drygoods - well presented. Clean shops. Good livestock selections are not the main reason to visits to a shop as we can take nothing home (plus we buy direct from most suppliers globally)
Our website is www.seahorseaquariums.com for anyone interested.

Here are the list of shops that from looking at this forum I plan to get in to visit.

Global Aquatics Retail
Tropi-Quatics Pet Centre
Aquatica
New Fish
Old Town Aquarium

Any I should include / leave out?

Flying out on Monday so please help before then

Current Tank Info: New 90 in progress
BallaBooyeaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 07:58 AM   #70
kawicivic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaBooyeaH View Post
My business partner and a staff member will be in Chicago next week for a conference on seahorses held in your town. We are the largest LFS in Ireland and very keen to get out to some shops to see how things are done in the States to see what ideas we can bring home.

What we are looking for is the following - Good shop layout with a good selection of Drygoods - well presented. Clean shops. Good livestock selections are not the main reason to visits to a shop as we can take nothing home (plus we buy direct from most suppliers globally)

Here are the list of shops that from looking at this forum I plan to get in to visit.

Global Aquatics Retail
Tropi-Quatics Pet Centre
Aquatica
New Fish
Old Town Aquarium

aquacave is probably the largest dry good retailer in the area, however they are not really an LFS. They are an online retailer and can be found at aquacave.com. This business may be able to help you with business questions related to dry goods - just not the brick and mortar store type questions.

kawicivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2011, 09:25 AM   #71
cet98
"feed ur reef...feed it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaBooyeaH View Post

Global Aquatics Retail
Tropi-Quatics Pet Centre
Aquatica
New Fish
Old Town Aquarium

If you are looking for a LFS strictly based on retail layout, drygood selection and clean then IMO:
I would omit Global Aquatics (they have a wholesaler's layout since they sell wholesale)
I would add Beyond the Reef (in Schamburg, IL) to your list of retailers to visit.
I would also add Sho-Tank (in Mundelein, IL) if you have the time to go up north
and I have heard very good things about Reef Plus (in N Aurora) though I have never had the opportunity to go there myself.

GL and enjoy your stay in Chicagoland, USA

cet98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:21 PM   #72
yeoscove
Registered Member

I go to a place in Bridgeport that is super nice.

http://goldenaquarium.net/Golden_Aquarium/Home.html

Golden Aquarium
1514 W 33rd St
Chicago, IL 60608

They're in the same plaza as Ace Hardware, Dominicks, and White Castle.

yeoscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2011, 10:42 PM   #73
jayjigga
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoscove View Post
I go to a place in Bridgeport that is super nice.

http://goldenaquarium.net/Golden_Aquarium/Home.html

Golden Aquarium
1514 W 33rd St
Chicago, IL 60608

They're in the same plaza as Ace Hardware, Dominicks, and White Castle.
Very nice and clean store. Super cool staff. It's been a while, but I gotta go back there soon.

jayjigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2011, 11:39 AM   #74
bthomas2000
Registered Member

Global Aquatics warehouse & importer

Your post is in violation of the terms and conditions of use of this web site and has been edited. Further violations will result in revocation of your posting privileges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cet98 View Post
If you are looking for a LFS strictly based on retail layout, drygood selection and clean then IMO:
I would omit Global Aquatics (they have a wholesaler's layout since they sell wholesale)
I would add Beyond the Reef (in Schamburg, IL) to your list of retailers to visit.
I would also add Sho-Tank (in Mundelein, IL) if you have the time to go up north
and I have heard very good things about Reef Plus (in N Aurora) though I have never had the opportunity to go there myself.

GL and enjoy your stay in Chicagoland, USA

Current Tank Info: several tanks throughout the house.

Last edited by BlueCorn; 11/16/2011 at 01:01 PM.
bthomas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2011, 09:11 AM   #75
fredfish13
Registered Member

+1 on New Fish as well. Got my 20long cycled a couple weeks ago and needed some livestock. Their frag and fish tanks looks good. They had Rod's Food. And staff are great. Also within 10 minutes from my place.

fredfish13 is offline   Reply With Quote