Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2019, 08:45 AM   #1
horseystripe
Registered Member

Stocking list and order

ok y'all....

i hesitated to do this because the "tang police" are likely going to jump my crap...and that's fine you're allowed to have an opinon, but for clarity's sake, i have the intent of trading down to smaller tangs when they arrive at 7-8"...maybe the tank will be upgraded by then (dream tank is much bigger than this 90)...but here goes.

Looking at my dream stocking list for my 90g reef

Currently in the tank:

Clown Pair (occelaris)
Foxface

dream list to add:

Swallowtail angel pair
Hippo Tang
Yellow tang
McCosker's Wrasse
Royal Gramma
Bangaii Cardinal Pair

Looking for opinions on this list. Specifically the stocking order once i get down to the wrasse/tangs/angels.

I understand this is a pretty heavy bioload, but i do weekly-ish (never more than a week and a half) 10% water changes and am comfortable with the husbandry/cleaning requirements of fairly significant bioloads.

ready...aim...fire!

-Ed

horseystripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 10:15 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

I would add the small fish first. Angels and then tangs last, because the tangs will be the most aggressive to any newcomers.

Try to get the Hippo as small as possible, and please consider dwarf angels (Centropyge spp.) instead of a Swallowtail pair because those will quickly outgrow your tank.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 11:29 AM   #3
horseystripe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
I would add the small fish first. Angels and then tangs last, because the tangs will be the most aggressive to any newcomers.

Try to get the Hippo as small as possible, and please consider dwarf angels (Centropyge spp.) instead of a Swallowtail pair because those will quickly outgrow your tank.

I hear ya, and if we're 100% honest the list isn't completely nailed down yet.

The swallowtails are my first choice, mostly for the "reef safe" designation. there are much prettier options out there.

tangs are cool, but i'm not completely sold on the hippo. I had one in my last tank and it wasn't all that exciting. still in the "forming phase" and running through options and how to get everything in the tank.

ideally, i'd have a 4'x4' 24" high tank 4 side veiwable and no powerheads on the glass with a center overflow/return and it'd be slapped right in the middle of the living room. But my wife (and my budget) won't let me do that.

Unread 04/24/2019, 12:01 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post

Great advice, I added my yellow and blue together, they became good friends in QT

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 01:49 PM   #5
Bono
Registered Member

I know I'm get up there in age but is "Jump my Crap" slang that's actually used?

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 02:29 PM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

I would not suggest a hippo tang for a 90 gallon. If you are trading it off once it grows, it needs to be done long before the 7-8" mark.

I also wouldn't recommend the pair of swallow tails. A single may be possible for a while, but even sites that sell them list minimum tank sizes for 1 at 125 gallons. I agree that a dwarf angel like a flame or coral beauty would be a good substitute.

The yellow tang will be fine, but it may not tolerate other similar bodied fishes as it matures.

The wrasse, gramma, and cardinals can all go in first together.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2019, 03:25 PM   #7
bshow24
Registered Member

I'll chime in and agree with everyone else - that's a few too many large fish for a 90 gallon.

Take the advice into consideration when looking at fish. If you went with some Dwarf Angels and didn't get a Hippo Tang, would be a good list for a 90.

Equipment: 2x Radion XR15 Pro, Radion XR30 Pro, Vectra M1 Return, 2x MP40 Powerhead
bshow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2019, 04:28 PM   #8
horseystripe
Registered Member

I had the "too many large fish" feeling to be honest.

So tossing the hippo and swallowtails we now completely revamp and look like this:

Current:

Clown pair
Foxface

To be added:

Bangaii cardinal pair
Flame angel
Coral beauty angel
Kole or yellow tang
Mccoskers wrasse

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk