Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2014, 08:02 PM   #1
harleychic
Registered Member

Show off your amazing tube anemones here!

I absolutely LOVE these guys! I have a few, even though they aren't the most colorful, they have a tank of their own, set up just for them. Let's see what you have, and if you care to share, where you got them!

harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2014, 08:58 AM   #2
BlueFyre
Registered Member

Yay!

I have 3. I love them so much

BlueFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Tzwizzle
Registered Member

How deep is your sand bed btw? Ive heard they prefer dsbs but I've also heard of people keeping them in a couple inches of sand

Tzwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2014, 05:21 PM   #4
nemosworld
Registered Member

Current Tank Info: 60 Gallon Cube
nemosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2014, 06:39 PM   #5
harleychic
Registered Member

Those look great, guys! I honestly don't know why more people don't keep them. Ime they are the easiest anemone to keep as long as you feed them. Tzwizzle, I have had mine for a few years in a tank with only 1/2# of sand. I used mostly branch rock, and they seem very happy with their tubes in the nooks of the rock, with the crowns sticking out. If they are not happy where they are, they will abandon the tube, find a more suitable spot and build a new one. You can always provide pvc pipe for the tube if you want one without a dsb, although I really don't think it is necessary, unless you have crabs that may pick at the tube.

harleychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2014, 07:58 AM   #6
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

I know that these things are hot but to they have much success at killing and eating the resident fish?

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2014, 07:27 AM   #7
BlueFyre
Registered Member

I keep mine in pvc tubes full of sand and they seem happy.

I have NEVER had one of mine eat a fish. Mine actually will spit out a silver side because it's too big. With that said they have a powerful sting and if a fish runs into them it can leave a wound. The fish I have had this happen to usually recover. I keep mine on one side of the tank and the residents know to stay away.

Though I swear new fish have radar for them and always seem to head in that direction.

BlueFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2014, 02:45 AM   #8
Hotwired
Registered Member

Im in the tank planning stage right now but I cant wait to get a few anemones.

Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I have kept one healthy & happy in about 1-1.5" of fine sand. It's tube body is horizontal to the tank bottom and the head sticks out of the sand with no problem. I buried the tube body this way under an over hang 3 years ago and it has never relocated.

I has never killed a fish to my knowledge. Watching it eat mysis, I can't imagine it catching a healthy fish. Like noted above, my fish seem to instinctively know not to touch it, even though it's located at the front of a cave that all the fish use to travel from the front of the tank to the back of the rock work, swimming very closely to it, but never getting stung.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote