Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2021, 02:21 PM   #276
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
That sounds great! What's a green RFA? I've had great luck with KP Aquatics. The Yellow Ball Sponge is maybe the hardiest of the sponges, so great choice. I vote yes!

I didn't get to my planned weekend tank work either…
A green rock flower anemone (RFA).

I have always heard wonderful things about AP Aquatics and I felt better getting critters from them than Live Aquaria. It helps that they can overnight to me and I have had very good luck with overnight shipments from FL.

I am really happy to hear about how well the yellow ball sponge did for you. My tank is full of natural sponges that have proliferated over the years so I feel kind of confident that maybe I can get it to thrive!

With so many different things this will be a fun shipment to receive for sure.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2021, 03:23 PM   #277
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool, can't wait to see 'em!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2021, 11:29 AM   #278
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool, can't wait to see 'em!
Well my order came today and it was amazing. Every animal was packaged in it's own bag, even the masked gobies which are tiny.

They are only about a half inch long and one of them was less than that but KPA generously gave me 4 instead of only the 3 I ordered. I have them in a baby net enclosure until I know that they are eating well.

They also gave me 3 rooted halimeda rather than just the 2 I ordered. All the other animals looked active and great. Of course the pistol shrimp scampered off into the rock work right away.

The nems, (curlicue and rock flower anemone) were opened even when they arrived and hopefully will put their feet down where I placed them. I should not have any trouble feeding them if they stay put, ha ha!

The yellow sponge is almost as big as a tennis ball! Its twice the size that I expected. That is the same with the fighting conch. I originally thought to put it in the fuge to help with algae down there. Then I began thinking that it's such a cool animal that it should be in the display. However once I saw its size, ( at least an inch and a half if not 2" in length) it will be a bulldozer in the display.

I will take some pics when everything settles in.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 01/20/2021, 01:23 PM   #279
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Awesome! KP Aquatics has always done me right too. I'm glad to see they are still doing great biz. I had a similar experience when I ordered my Royal Grammas. I ordered six, they sent seven.

I agree the fighting conch can bulldoze, so it may be too big for your display, depending on how sturdy your inverts, etc. are placed.

I hope everything does well for you!

Unread 01/21/2021, 06:40 AM   #280
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome! KP Aquatics has always done me right too. I'm glad to see they are still doing great biz. I had a similar experience when I ordered my Royal Grammas. I ordered six, they sent seven.

I agree the fighting conch can bulldoze, so it may be too big for your display, depending on how sturdy your inverts, etc. are placed.

I hope everything does well for you!
Yeah, I am afraid that the feather duster garden could end up scattered who knows where from the conch! LOL

I would definitely order from KPA again.

Unread 01/21/2021, 06:34 PM   #281
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GRGYsG1YHuWmptrWA
A pic from the top down of 2 of the masked gobies in the baby net.

Unread 01/21/2021, 11:19 PM   #282
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I have looked at those fish on KP's site many times. They are tiny, living jewels. I wonder if they will hang together or spread out. I bet they'll look great in your tank!

Unread 01/22/2021, 06:10 PM   #283
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I have looked at those fish on KP's site many times. They are tiny, living jewels. I wonder if they will hang together or spread out. I bet they'll look great in your tank!
I sure hope they hang together. They are darling but oh so tiny. They will be terrific if they stay in close proximity of each other. I am thinking of releasing them tonight.

Unread 01/24/2021, 08:35 AM   #284
vlangel
Registered Member

I released my gobies yesterday. I have not seen them but I did not expect to until they get settled and comfy in the tank. I am feeding heavy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q6a3MKjePWC69yJS7
I also took some pics yesterday. These are the halimeda. I love the bright green they bring to the tank.

Unread 01/24/2021, 08:37 AM   #285
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eGvfjL6WtZzWepKE8
This the green RFA up near my BTA. I am happy that it seems to like that area so far as it is a great spot as far as I am concerned.

Unread 01/24/2021, 08:40 AM   #286
vlangel
Registered Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vtp9ZzSfBPozrGHJ8
This is the yellow ball sponge.

Unread 01/24/2021, 08:43 AM   #287
vlangel
Registered Member

Finally here is a FTS.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Z378oTGaMDmgrm56

Unread 01/24/2021, 09:10 AM   #288
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, that Halimeda looks great. Maybe the prettiest I've seen. It really brings a splash of green. I hope those gobies do well for ya. I think they'll look great in your tank. Good idea to feed heavily. I like the Rock Anemone too. I have thought of getting one or two myself. Now I can learn from you having them. That Yellow Ball sponge is nice. It kinda looks like the moon. That looks like a good, shady spot for it too. Great FTS! I love how smallish tanks can look big, when aquascaped well. You've done a great job of utilizing the height of the tank. And there's so much to look at! I don't know how you do it. You've easily got ten times more going on in there than I have in my 180!

How about a pic of the refugium? I'm curious how it's going in there too.

Now I better get my tank ready for it's close up too!

Unread 01/24/2021, 04:28 PM   #289
vlangel
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the feedback on the ball sponges location. Originally I had it under the ledge of the dead stoney skeleton of the plating acro up n the front instead of the back. Even under the ledge I think it was getting too much reflective light so I moved it to it's current location.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the gobies. I hope they do not go near the corkscrew nem! That is the disadvantage of a smallish tank, it's harder to keep animals away from each other.

I will take some pics of the fuge after it is in photo worthy condition. I would like you to see the seagrass you sent me and hear if you think they are doing ok. I should have a little more free time in the next week, so hopefully not too long for pics.

Unread 01/24/2021, 06:53 PM   #290
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It seems like a good move to place your new sponge where you did. You can always make adjustments later. I think the ball sponge can handle a little light - just not enough to grow algae.

With all the nooks and crannies you've got, I bet the gobies will make it. Another concern would be your Royal Gramma. I've seen one eat a baby Molly.

I understand you wanting to get the fuge photo-ready. I look forward to seeing how it's going!

Unread 01/25/2021, 02:33 PM   #291
vlangel
Registered Member

Good news! Last evening during a feeding I spotted 2 of the masked gobies and they were eating. One of them was the wee tiny one. They are both settled into cave like sheltered areas of the tank. If those 2 are ok probably the other 2 are as well. However I am wondering about them being a schooling fish. These 2 were at opposite ends of the tank, ha ha. As long as they are safe and comfortable I am ok if each lives independently.

Unread 01/25/2021, 03:12 PM   #292
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yay! So there are 4 of them? I thought it was 3. I bet they'll hang together more once they reach maturity.

Unread 01/26/2021, 08:12 AM   #293
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Yay! So there are 4 of them? I thought it was 3. I bet they'll hang together more once they reach maturity.
Yes, I ordered 3 but they generously sent me 4! I hope 🤞 you are right about them hanging together as they mature.

Unread 01/26/2021, 08:15 AM   #294
vlangel
Registered Member

As promised here are some refugium pics.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kk5kHapnKzPGamBNA
This one is from the doorway if the well room which is now a fishroom. You can see that the tanks are in a narrow space which is why my pics are not that good.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qRhtx26QNJ8ZMW3z7
A close up of the newly trimmed seagrass. They do look like they are getting established although it is slow.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/U3ZhWB3m3tENW99C8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/b6qhFM3Yp2jsnpos9
This pic is viewing the fuge from the right side end of the tank.

Also notice the lightish red macro growing on the left side of the tank...it looks kind of like Michael's flat red mystery macro. Mine just started to grow out of the grasilaria. Wonder if it's the same?

Last edited by vlangel; 01/26/2021 at 08:38 AM.
Unread 01/26/2021, 08:53 AM   #295
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I like how you've developed that tank! You've given yourself a lot of real estate by climbing the back wall, taking advantage of the vertical space. And you've given most of the sand bed to your seagrass. It looks like they are settling in well. They do take a while don't they? Before you know it, they will multiply and you'll have a lush meadow of them. It's very satisfying to see you having success with them! It looks very natural. I have little doubt you'll make this tank as fascinating as your display. Nice work!

Unread 01/26/2021, 02:13 PM   #296
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I like how you've developed that tank! You've given yourself a lot of real estate by climbing the back wall, taking advantage of the vertical space. And you've given most of the sand bed to your seagrass. It looks like they are settling in well. They do take a while don't they? Before you know it, they will multiply and you'll have a lush meadow of them. It's very satisfying to see you having success with them! It looks very natural. I have little doubt you'll make this tank as fascinating as your display. Nice work!
Thanks Michael. What I like is that I have been able to almost cover up the drain. It was such a disruption to the natural nature of the refugium. Laying the tall stoney staghorn skeleton on its side and letting macros grow there has worked well. Not only does it hide the drain pipe but it adds a lushness to the tank.

I have noticed a few new blades sprouting next to existing blade of shoal grass. That is encouraging. I hope it is as you said that someday I will have a lush meadow of them.

Unread 01/26/2021, 02:41 PM   #297
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I knew something was different/better! Brilliant idea. Now that tank's gonna take off. Look how far you've progressed already!

So you've got a new plant growing next to another one? That sounds like you've got rhizome growth! That's reproduction. Lushness eminent!

Unread 01/26/2021, 03:38 PM   #298
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I knew something was different/better! Brilliant idea. Now that tank's gonna take off. Look how far you've progressed already!

So you've got a new plant growing next to another one? That sounds like you've got rhizome growth! That's reproduction. Lushness eminent!
It does not look as much like rhizome root activity as the stock of the plant is sending up multiple blades from the same stock. So although it's not quite as exciting as seeing evidence of the rhizome root activity, it still seems like evidence of growth since they are new blades of grass.

Unread 01/26/2021, 03:57 PM   #299
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Oh okay. New growth is good! I can't wait to see how you 'style' this tank. You've already done great stuff. What's next, you think? Dirt?

Unread 01/26/2021, 05:34 PM   #300
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh okay. New growth is good! I can't wait to see how you 'style' this tank. You've already done great stuff. What's next, you think? Dirt?
Yes, I am very anxious to add more dirt. I feel that the natural nutrients in the soil will nourish the grass. Of course Pennsylvania winter is what is holding me back. Our ground is frozen pretty hard. I doubt that I can progress until April on that.