Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2015, 04:17 AM   #1
hamiderezae
Registered Member

Can I use ethanol 40% for carbon dosing?

Hi everybody!
I want to known that one can use ethanol 40% instead of vodka in carbon source dosing to tank? as i know vodka consist of ethanol 40% and some fructose and ... that ethanol used as carbon source by bacterial populations.
I can bought ethanol 96% from chemical store and convert it to 40% by adding water.

hamiderezae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2015, 05:52 AM   #2
ska d
Registered Member

I'm not sure that mixing it with water is good. If stored for any period of time it may break down.

ska d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2015, 06:12 AM   #3
reeferstace
I'm a little people

You must make absolutely sure that it is NOT denatured.

Unread 05/26/2015, 02:42 PM   #4
RCMark325
Registered Member

why does it matter if it's denatured or not? i thought the bacteria would feed on methanol or ethanol

RCMark325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2015, 02:42 PM   #5
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

If it is denatured, make absolutely sure that methanol is the only denaturant. A little methanol won't be a big issue, but isopropanol gets used too and that would be a problem. You also have to worry if it is meant as reagent alcohol that it might contain benzene from the distillation process. Many times reagent alcohol is azeotroped with benzene to facilitate distillation to higher levels.

Best bet would be to get your ethanol from the liquor store. You know that is safe.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2015, 04:16 PM   #6
CoralReefBoffin
Moved On

What are your thoughts about 190 proof "Everclear" grain (corn, I believe) alcohol for carbon dosing ?

CoralReefBoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2015, 04:18 PM   #7
CoralReefBoffin
Moved On

Essentially, its the highest percentage of alcohol per volume (APV) in the World

Unread 05/29/2015, 04:30 PM   #8
CoralReefBoffin
Moved On

To reiterate further, vodka being 90 proof (40 percent APV) contains less than half the alcohol (carbon) per volume of liquid ...

I understand the remaining content is "mostly" (how accurate is mostly, exactly ... disc1 ?) distilled water, but it's my nature I prefer the aforementioned highest percentage of the actual catalyst (alcohol/carbon/etc) in question, per volume stat, when adding a chemical/liquid within my reef system.

I would greatly appreciate as much information, an elaborate/in depth breakdown would be great!, as you can think of ... Comparing/contrasting Everclear brand grain alcohol, as a bacterioplankton carbon source, versus regular old distilled vodka ... Thanks in advance : )

Unread 05/29/2015, 07:47 PM   #9
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefBoffin View Post
To reiterate further, vodka being 90 proof (40 percent APV) contains less than half the alcohol (carbon) per volume of liquid ...
40% ABV would be 80 proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefBoffin View Post
I understand the remaining content is "mostly" (how accurate is mostly, exactly ... disc1 ?) distilled water, but it's my nature I prefer the aforementioned highest percentage of the actual catalyst (alcohol/carbon/etc) in question, per volume stat, when adding a chemical/liquid within my reef system.

I would greatly appreciate as much information, an elaborate/in depth breakdown would be great!, as you can think of ... Comparing/contrasting Everclear brand grain alcohol, as a bacterioplankton carbon source, versus regular old distilled vodka ... Thanks in advance : )
So think about how vodka is typically made. They double or triple distill alcohol to a very high proof and then add water to bring it to a drinkable level. So in the end, you're not really getting anything different.

That said, there's no harm in buying 190 proof grain alcohol and using that. The amount you dose will be less, and depending on the size of your tank that may necessitate diluting the alcohol to get an amount you can measure easily.

The only caveat would be price. There is a reason so many liquors are 80 proof and no more. In many states there is an extra tax for liquor that is more than 40% or 50%, so grain alcohol may cost more for the same amount of alcohol depending on where you live. In other places the grain alcohol may be cheaper. You'll have to do your own comparison.

Are there other substances present? Sure, there will be trace amounts of sugar or other things, but the amounts will be so very very tiny that they can be ignored. You'd get more fructose in your tank if you ate an apple with your bare hands, washed them, and then stuck them in your tank.

So to get at the last question, comparing the two: Aside from price and the actual amount dosed there is no difference.

What you want to stay away from is anything that is intended for the lab or the chemical industry. There is always extra tax if it is drinkable, so it will almost always be denatured. I've had to buy non-denatured alcohol for the lab and do you know what we did? We went to the liquor store and got Everclear because the chemical supply companies pass that tax on to you and then some. There's a real big price difference to get the non-denatured stuff. And I'd stay away from the denatured alcohol unless you know exactly what you're getting and exactly how to tell.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote