Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2015, 01:41 PM   #76
carmelpi
Registered Member

I offered her some octopus (so far her favorite food) and she punched. Safe to say she's mad at me lol. When i checked her before i left she was giving herself a "bath" so i think she'll chill given some time. Once she explores she'll figure things out.

I'm not worried about her starving because there are snails and small hermits for her to destroy. I did move one of the hermits (he's been my experiment crab and this is the fourth time i've plopped him in a new home - felt he deserved a life instead of becoming mantis chow) and put him in the now empty fuge. I have a ball of chaeto going in there soon. Along with some rock and maybe (when my boyfriend isn't looking) another small mantis.

Unread 05/31/2015, 08:41 AM   #77
kegogut
Registered Member

checked out the tank this morning and lo and behold here is what I saw.

Glad he found his home,I was getting worried he would set up behind it and force me to redo the rock work. lolz

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 07:04 AM   #78
carmelpi
Registered Member

Lucky!! Ripley built a burrow behind the rock and completely ignores her pvc.

Unread 06/01/2015, 09:40 AM   #79
kegogut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelpi View Post
Lucky!! Ripley built a burrow behind the rock and completely ignores her pvc.
When you feed try to entice her into the pvc with the food.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
Unread 06/01/2015, 10:54 AM   #80
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

i named mine scampi. brought him home last friday. he found his burrow almost immediately. he's doing great, eats a few pieces of shrimp every day. i need to get some different seafoods for him. what a fun creature!

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Current Tank Info: i gave my reef away and i feel like a bird out of a cage!!
Nina51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 11:07 AM   #81
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina51 View Post
i named mine scampi. brought him home last friday. he found his burrow almost immediately. he's doing great, eats a few pieces of shrimp every day. i need to get some different seafoods for him. what a fun creature!

I knew you would enjoy him! Post a picture
Of him Nina, you guys are gonna be amazed with his coloring!

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 11:56 AM   #82
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

photo scampi_zpsgz3m48pu.jpg

thankfully, the pet supplies plus store closed out their miserable saltwater section. they had ich from the get-go. this mantis and a green wolf eel were the only things left. the mantis had been there for 4 months, eating nothing but feeder fish. i decided to bring him home and have a go at keeping one. he seems happy.

and sam, thanks for all your help!!!

Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine into your brain, and that is where crappy ideas come from.

Unread 06/01/2015, 12:12 PM   #83
carmelpi
Registered Member

Hrmmm i'll try that tomorrow.

Unread 06/01/2015, 12:36 PM   #84
carmelpi
Registered Member

She's making herself at home in the rockwork instead of the pvc.

Unread 06/01/2015, 01:25 PM   #85
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

typical woman, she's gotta move the furniture around.

Unread 06/01/2015, 01:27 PM   #86
Martini5788
Registered Member

Hahaha

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2015, 10:49 PM   #87
carmelpi
Registered Member

Well, my boyfriend called me at work to tell me that she's actively exploring and seems much happier

Unread 06/02/2015, 04:50 PM   #88
Nina51
biggliest cofveve champ

same with mine. it's nice to see him getting comfortable. i can also see that this 20g is way small for him. i'm gonna be heading to the city to see what i can find. may end up using the 20g for a sump.

Unread 06/07/2015, 01:09 AM   #89
carmelpi
Registered Member

Ripley has completely ignored her pvc burrow and has made tunnels under the rocks :/

Unread 06/07/2015, 10:44 PM   #90
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

I had that happen with mine. I eventually had to plug the burrows she made with boulders so she couldn't get back in. Kinda forcing her into the PVC.

Unread 06/10/2015, 08:24 PM   #91
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfuanda View Post
well it looks like i sorta spoke too soon. it was in there for over a week no problem, but just now i was making a pb&j sandwich and i heard some rapid smacking so i ran over to the tank to see what happened and i just see a bright yellow tail in the firm grasps of my peacock.

oh well, what was originally intended just took an extra week. i tried giving the watchman away but didn't have any success so I put it in there in hopes that it would take shelter under a rock but instead it just walked around and swam around the whole time and i guess the peacock finally was hungry enough to grab him. hope she enjoyed her $15 dinner at least.

i think im going to try a six line wrasse in there. i just found a local seafood store that should have all sorts of live crabs and stuff so maybe if I can keep her tummy full she wont chase the wrasse. she has no interest in the clam, i think she just like stuff that visibly moves.
Something like this?

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2015, 12:40 PM   #92
carmelpi
Registered Member

Quick question: i think ripley may have shell rot. She eats just fine - she gets octopus, clam, scallop, salmon, and shrimp with the occasional hermit crab that i didn't quite rescue. I also soak her food in selcon every couple of days as well (i feed her from the same food as my big fowlr and they eat like piggies).

All of my parameters seem fine (i will test them tomorrow morning on much better equipment than my salifert kits at home). I just did a water change last week.

She is still snubbing the pvc, preferring the dugout tunnels she's made for herself under the rocks.

Here's a picture where you can see what looks like weird spots on her carapace. She hasn't molted yet and may be overdue, but as she's my first deliberate mantis i'm not sure how she's supposed to be.

Unread 06/28/2015, 01:06 PM   #93
carmelpi
Registered Member

I'm starting to think my lighting may be too strong - i have 2 kessill a150w's, ocean blue over the tank.

Unread 06/28/2015, 02:45 PM   #94
kegogut
Registered Member

Im not positive from the picture but those seem to be normal. Take a look at other peacocks.

Unread 06/28/2015, 03:14 PM   #95
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Above the right eye, there are two white dots vertically placed. Whether or not that's dirt on the glass, or shell rot I cannot tell..

Shell rot looks corroded:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027809