Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2014, 06:41 PM   #1
othermother
Registered Member

Question Newbie mixed reef and fish 30 gal

Hi all,
I've read a lot of good advice here and am confused about the best filtration system for a 30 gal mostly fish, anemone, mushroom tank. I don't know if I need something more than the Marineland Pro Series power filter Emperor 280 that I am currently running. The tank is reasonably loaded and I am having trouble stablizing nitrates. Do I need something else? I recently bought the Current Orbit 24-36 in reef light so I think I'm good there.
I get many different suggestions from LFS and other's that I need a tank back refugium, a canister, a power skimmer, and other stuff. I just want to know of a simple reliable system please. Any ideas, welcome!

othermother is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 11:54 PM   #2
IPT
Registered Member

I'm assuming you don't have a sump on this 30 gallon tank? If you look at most of the systems here people rely mostly on Protein skimmers and water movement. One of the keys to keeping Nitrates down is nutrient import and export. If you are new to this hobby (I see you only have three posts so I'm not sure if you're just new here or new to the hobby) then you should realize most people way overfeed. With the live stock you mention some Nitrates shouldn't be a big deal really. unless you're having a lot of Algae issue I wouldn't sweat it.

So, I'd look into a good Protein skimmer, keep your nutrient import reasonable, do frequent water changes, and keep good water flow in the tank to keep things from settling and fouling the water. Refugiums seem to be popular from time to time but I've never used one in my 20 years in the hobby. Different strokes for different folks but I aim to try and keep it simple and both of my tanks are doing well.

Hope that helps some.

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Xavibear
Crazy Prophet

Get a hob skimmer.

Current Tank Info: Pair of Occellaris clowns, Royal gramma, Yellow Watchman Goby/Tiger Pistol Shrimp, Blue tuxedo urchin, Fire shrimp, Trochus snails, Cerith snails, Nassarius snails, Ricordea mushroom, Kenya tree, Acan brain & Frogspawn
Xavibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 07:37 PM   #4
moondoggy4
Registered Member

I like the Fluval HOB power filters, you can put your own media in there and save money on the prepaid filters, also do water changes and like IPT stated good water circulation within the tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote