Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2017, 12:30 PM   #1
reefmutts
Premium Member

Nitrate Test kits (Red Sea Pro vs NYOS Reefer)

I'm using both test kits to monitor Nitrate levels since started dosing Vodka 2 weeks ago with great results by the way.
Testing Nitrates at the same time. I'm finding that the Red Sea Pro reads much higher than NYOS
by 10ppm +/- every time.

I am splitting the difference between the 2 reading.

Hard to know which number to follow and I hate chasing numbers. According to the NYOS test kit my Nitrate levels are at 4ppm, but Red Sea is 16ppm.

Not only one time but for over a 2 week period, been testing everyday.

Any input?

reefmutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 02:22 PM   #2
hkgar
Registered Member

I use the Red Seas Pro and believe it to be quite accurate. I do, from time to time, double check with Salifert and they both agree - as much as I can determine from the colors. I would go with the Red sea

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 02:37 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Welcome to "hobby grade" test kits.. I don't think any of them are all that accurate/repeatable anymore..

Unread 11/14/2017, 04:37 PM   #4
Lsufan
Registered Member

Are u sure u are doing the dilution right for the Red Sea. I believe if it is over 4 ppm u have to dilute the sample. I find the Red Sea pro to be pretty accurate but I don’t have to dilute because i am usually around 1 ppm.

It very well could be one of the tests are bad. With such a big difference I would try to get another opinion to see what one is off.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 04:37 PM   #5
2una
Registered Member

Red Sea Pro gives me what Ati icp also says

2una is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 05:05 PM   #6
reefmutts
Premium Member

Yes, I'm knowledgeable with how the low and high res. needs to be tested. You dilute the high with RO water. Thanks for letting me know though. That would throw off the test result.
If the test kits are off by +/-10ppm you can really drive yourself crazy and always be chasing numbers. All my corals are doing well/thriving and would like to maintain that stable system. Coral health is good indicator, but relying on that indicator might be too late until you realize something is wrong before you take action and correct the issue before a casualties start adding up. Just want an accurate test kit, hence the reason I bought two different brands to compare results.
Are there more accurate test kits on the market that give accurate readings, even if they cost more qwouldntit be worth the extra $$$.
Or am I over thinking this....KISS LOL

Unread 11/14/2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Lsufan
Registered Member

U can give salifert a try but I prefer Red Sea. It will atleast let u know which kit is off. I never used Nyos so I’m not to familiar with it. I use salifert & Red Sea & they match up pretty close. I like the Red Sea best but I use salifert the most because it is cheaper & easier to use. I don’t think u will find a test kit much better then those.

If they were closer together I would say not to worry about it, but that is a big difference between 4 & 16 ppm. I don’t think the exact number is very important as long as u can tell if it’s lower then 5, in the 10 range or higher then 20. With my luck I would get another kit & it would read 10 ppm, right in the middle of the other two & make it more confusing.

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 06:48 PM   #8
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutts View Post
Coral health is good indicator
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
I don’t think the exact number is very important as long as u can tell if it’s lower then 5, in the 10 range or higher then 20.
And that.

Honestly I don't care if the number is 1.8 or 12 or whatever. To me, secondary indicators like coral health, the speed that film algae grows on the glass, and so on are more important than the number. I feel like consistency is more important than the absolute number. Then at least you know if something is off.

Ask yourself why you're dosing vodka. It's probably because you'r expecting a change in your system - less algae, different result with specific corals, etc. Why worry about the number when you can just pay attention to the specific result you're looking for?

I think you're right, it's easy to get caught up chasing numbers. But that's possible regardless of accuracy of the test kit. I know reefers who spend so much time worrying about test kit results that they don't spend any time actually looking at the tank and observing and learning - much less enjoying it.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:58 PM   #9
reefmutts
Premium Member

I agree...I started vodka dosing since my nitrates were 40ppm to start with and wanting to get more into sps. So before investing in sps I wanted to get my parameters were they needed to be. All my soft Corals are doing great. No algae issues at all. Only had to dose .6ml of vodka to get my phosphates to almost 0 and nitrates at about 10ppm after 2 weeks.
Think I’m safe to try some sps and store chasing numbers and enjoy the reef
Thanks.

Unread 11/15/2017, 01:44 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

If you don't know the numbers and work to keep them in check something bad will happen.

With me it was a massive algae outbreak which required all rock and scrubbing off the algae and then treating with hydrogen peroxide. I now dose carbon to keep them at acceptable levels.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote