Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2017, 10:43 AM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Apex variable speed port question

I have a simple DIY moonlight leds that run on 9 volts can I connect them to a variable speed port? Will this damage the apex if I used the port as a 1 to 9 volt driver? If not what can I buy that will connect the leds to apex and dim them?

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 10:54 AM   #2
jayball
Registered Member

I would go with this http://www.rapidled.com/moonlight-driver-350ma/

the 1-10V output is not a LED driver.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 01:58 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
I have a simple DIY moonlight leds that run on 9 volts can I connect them to a variable speed port? Will this damage the apex if I used the port as a 1 to 9 volt driver? If not what can I buy that will connect the leds to apex and dim them?
I do not see the max current that can be sourced by each VDM port in any of their documentation BUT it doesn't matter..

That will not work..
LEDs need a specific voltage just to overcome their forward voltage or they won't light at all..
Their "brightness" is dictated by the current through them not the voltage..

If the Vf (forward voltage) of the LED light is 8Volts anything from 0 to 8 volts won't even turn the LED on..

Not to mention they need to be fed a constant current vs a constant voltage or they will go "poof" and let out the magic smoke..

You didn't give us any information about your "DIY LED" so even what jayball suggested might not work with your specific LEDs either..

There is little reason to use high power LEDs (350mA+) for a moonlight.. Typical 20mA indicator LEDs are just fine.

Unread 10/12/2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I do not see the max current that can be sourced by each VDM port in any of their documentation BUT it doesn't matter..

That will not work..
LEDs need a specific voltage just to overcome their forward voltage or they won't light at all..
Their "brightness" is dictated by the current through them not the voltage..

If the Vf (forward voltage) of the LED light is 8Volts anything from 0 to 8 volts won't even turn the LED on..

Not to mention they need to be fed a constant current vs a constant voltage or they will go "poof" and let out the magic smoke..

You didn't give us any information about your "DIY LED" so even what jayball suggested might not work with your specific LEDs either..

There is little reason to use high power LEDs (350mA+) for a moonlight.. Typical 20mA indicator LEDs are just fine.
This is what I have left over pads from a maxspect razor upgrade. I fixed the blue channel by bypassing the burnt leds. What do I need to make this work and be able to dim the channels?

10k razor pads
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jjjikhx54..._6231.JPG?dl=0

Here I have the blue channel running with a 9 volt 200ma DC transformer but the transformer gets hot. I'm assuming it needs more amps how much more not sure. I just didn't want to blow the leds with a high amp transformer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/guual9m7do..._6237.JPG?dl=0

Unread 10/12/2017, 03:19 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post

Here I have the blue channel running with a 9 volt 200ma DC transformer but the transformer gets hot. I'm assuming it needs more amps how much more not sure. I just didn't want to blow the leds with a high amp transformer.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/guual9m7do..._6237.JPG?dl=0
Its getting hot because its running at max and likely hitting an internal shutdown/protection.. You are doing it WRONG..
You need a constant current supply not a constant voltage supply..

The fact that you used a 200mA transformer (and its protection circuit) is the only thing thats kept you from frying the LEDs too..

Stop and learn how LEDs work before you continue..

Unread 10/12/2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Its getting hot because its running at max and likely hitting an internal shutdown/protection.. You are doing it WRONG..
You need a constant current supply not a constant voltage supply..

The fact that you used a 200mA transformer (and its protection circuit) is the only thing thats kept you from frying the LEDs too..

Stop and learn how LEDs work before you continue..
These leds are in series. I thought the Power Supply Charger I was using is a constant current adapter? Maybe i'm wrong is there a way to test the power supply to know?

Unread 10/12/2017, 04:21 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yeah... you are likely wrong .. give details/manufacturers/part numbers and we can give a real answer..

Unread 10/12/2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
yeah... you are likely wrong .. give details/manufacturers/part numbers and we can give a real answer..
Can you just give a link to a online company that sells a power supply that would run two channels?

Here is the pad technical layout.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3p4q08u6i...ayout.jpg?dl=0

Unread 10/13/2017, 04:54 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I'll help you in your other post about the power supply now..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2654621

Tags
apex, moonlights, variable speed