Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2009, 12:35 PM   #51
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I'll ask Lew but he is in Germany, the Berlin Zoo I think, looking for new foods for Polar Bears.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 04/13/2009 at 01:34 PM.
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 01:14 PM   #52
luther1200
Premium Member

I feed my polar bears stricly greens. They can't tolerate meat.

Current Tank Info: 65g reef, mix of sps, lps, few softies. Hoping to upgrade within the year.
luther1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 10:41 PM   #53
ibnozn
Registered Member

Those frags are pearling very nicely.

Keep the tank pegged at 30mg/l nitrate, 3mg/l phosphate and then diffuse enough Co2 into the tank during your photoperiod and they'll start to bubble like that apparently.

ibnozn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 11:19 PM   #54
ghengis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ibnozn
Those frags are pearling very nicely.
Was just going to mention the same thing... Real noob question here, but is it common for coral to pearl? I know my planted FW tanks pearl madly all day, but I have never noticed this in any pics I have seen of reef tanks.

Looks stunning...!

Last edited by ghengis; 04/13/2009 at 11:33 PM.
ghengis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 05:39 AM   #55
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DontGotReef
Was just going to mention the same thing... Real noob question here, but is it common for coral to pearl? I know my planted FW tanks pearl madly all day, but I have never noticed this in any pics I have seen of reef tanks.

Looks stunning...!

If you can promote a bloom of diatoms, dinoflagellates, or cyanobacteria, they will pearl for you as well. Even your front glass will pearl beautifully.

Your other option is to use a slow drip of Soda water. I prefer Perrier, with lime.

I've even seen some guys use a neat dosing pump involving a diet Coke and some Mentos. They had big tanks, though, and my small tanks would probably not respond well to an overabundance of Mentos.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 05:59 AM   #56
Creade
Premium Member

"I'll ask Lew but he is in Germany, the Berlin Zoo I think, looking for new foods for Polar Bears"

I knew she didnt jump!

Creade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 04:35 PM   #57
ghengis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by redfishsc
If you can promote a bloom of diatoms, dinoflagellates, or cyanobacteria, they will pearl for you as well. Even your front glass will pearl beautifully.

Your other option is to use a slow drip of Soda water. I prefer Perrier, with lime.

I've even seen some guys use a neat dosing pump involving a diet Coke and some Mentos. They had big tanks, though, and my small tanks would probably not respond well to an overabundance of Mentos.
Yeah, I know all about various different types of algae pearling...TRUST ME!!lol. If it wasn't algae doing the pearling, it'd look pretty cool...however.

Yeah, have heard of the Soda water method of CO2 injection, but not particularly confident about the idea...too many mixed reports. I am happy to use DIY yeast, until pressurised becomes an option.

Sorry, off topic!!

ghengis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 06:07 PM   #58
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DontGotReef
Yeah, I know all about various different types of algae pearling...TRUST ME!!lol. If it wasn't algae doing the pearling, it'd look pretty cool...however.

Yeah, have heard of the Soda water method of CO2 injection, but not particularly confident about the idea...too many mixed reports. I am happy to use DIY yeast, until pressurised becomes an option.

Sorry, off topic!!

I think you can also produce CO2 by mixing vinegar and baking soda. While it's possible to set up a slow drip whereby the vinegar drops slowly into a pile of baking soda, it would be hard to get the CO2 into the tank.

For that reason you might just be able to dump the vinegar and baking soda directly into your tank.

I recommend balsamic vinegar, it has so much more character than regular old white vinegar.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
Unread 04/14/2009, 06:25 PM   #59
the808state
Registered Member

sorry, for not continuing the madness... but i thought i would share a few canadian pictures i found in the Victoria, BC area.

Heteropora pacifica - Staghorn bryozoan

Anthopleura elegantissima - Aggregating Anemone

Urticina piscivora - Fish-eating Anemone

Eudistylia vancouveri - Northern Featherduster Worm

Cadlina luteomarginata

Dirona albolineata

Hermissenda crassicornis

Triopha catalinae

more cool stuff here: (check out the stars!) http://www.marinelifephotography.com...a/bcmarine.htm

the808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 08:11 PM   #60
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

VEry nice . Thanks for sharing.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 06:46 AM   #61
vsnph
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luther1200
I feed my polar bears stricly greens. They can't tolerate meat.
Were they BETA ( Bears for the Ethical Treatment of Animals ) members ?

vsnph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 07:02 AM   #62
ohiofry
Moved On

In...Lock?

ohiofry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 07:14 AM   #63
jrw
Registered Member

Will this continue until May?

jrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 10:37 AM   #64
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jrw
Will this continue until May?

Depends on whether antartic corals are a passing fad or here to stay.

I've already set up a pico reef dedicated to these. I'm working on a DIY bleach generator, although I think I'd be better off using a calcium hypochlorate reactor (aka, a Nilsen reactor with pool chlorine instead of kalk). Any opinions?

Unread 04/16/2009, 01:39 PM   #65
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

I hate using additives myself. Put the coral into 29°F water for awhile and let nature take its course.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 03:12 PM   #66
redfishsc
Registered Member

Well, the problem with 29F water is that when I turn my chiller that low, all my water starts precipitating out of solution into this clear, glassy film on the surface.

Perhaps I should add some more Dowflake to help with that?

Unread 04/16/2009, 04:14 PM   #67
ghengis
Registered Member

Wouldn't Nappy-San (or the American equivelant) be a suitable additive? Its reputed to make "whites whiter and colours brighter..."

And I tells ya, if this gear can get the soil stains outta my nice white undergarments, after a week of hard wearing, it'd have to work wonders on keeping corals spotless...

Unread 04/19/2009, 03:21 PM   #68
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterKeeper
I'll ask Lew but he is in Germany, the Berlin Zoo I think, looking for new foods for Polar Bears.
Memories. I lived in West Berlin from 1968 to 1970 while there was still a wall. Been to that zoo several times. Ask Lew it those polar bears still green. They were then, covered in cyanobacteria

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 04/19/2009, 04:53 PM   #69
redfishsc
Registered Member

Hmm. Intersting, I've never seen a polar bear covered in green cyano. It was always the burgandy stuff. Are you sure it wasn't bryopsis?

Maybe they could try rubbing the bears down everyday with a kalk paste.

Unread 04/19/2009, 10:08 PM   #70
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally posted by redfishsc
Hmm. Intersting, I've never seen a polar bear covered in green cyano. It was always the burgandy stuff. Are you sure it wasn't bryopsis?

Maybe they could try rubbing the bears down everyday with a kalk paste.

Could have been bryopsis ;not really sure.German beer was pretty strong. Maybe they weren't green at all;maybe orange or pink.

Unread 04/21/2009, 08:51 PM   #71
panic
Premium Member

What an oddity that so many others have been invited to share in this secret. My antartic collection grows every year in it's white brilliance with my innovative reefkeeping methods of only the 3 staples: HPS lamps, plenum, and daily addition of salt mix for evaporated salt. I have been propagating these animals for years and dose ketamine and haldol to the tank to decrease pain, anxiety, and fibromyalgia to the corals during clipping. My gems are so white and pure that I can leave them on the counter for hours, even days before the Cupramine dip.

panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 09:36 PM   #72
gregod
Registered Member

I think i may have lucked out here. I was sold a frag of what was labeled as ORA green birdsnest. I think it's really one of these anti-arctic corals. I think the green on it was just some form of algae. Now that I have it in the proper conditions, the algae is dying off and exposing it's brilliant white crusty tissue. I will take some pictures in hopes that someone can identify it correctly. Could it be from the arctic instead of the anti-arctic? Is there a way to tell?

gregod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 09:42 PM   #73
gregod
Registered Member

another thing, I am a little nervous about dosing bleach into my tank mainly because it burns my eyes when I am trying to take macro shots of my corals but I plan on dosing some oxi clean. Now that they have the spray away instant stain remover, i can target the fluffy algae that is growing on my anti-arctic acans too.

gregod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2009, 09:46 PM   #74
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I believe the artic variety has white furry polyps thatyou can't really see because they only come out in very dark conditions. This comes from their close association with the polar bears of the artic.

Unread 04/22/2009, 05:13 AM   #75
redfishsc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregod but I plan on dosing some oxi clean. Now that they have the spray away instant stain remover, i can target the fluffy algae that is growing on my anti-arctic acans too. [/B]
Hmm. Target feeding with oxi-clean, that's creative! Let us know how it works out.

I've been thinking of putting a snow-king pleco in my antartic tank, hopefully I can find one this weekend.