Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/07/2008, 04:46 PM   #26
spleify
Registered Member

Tom, from my understanding you want to keep your alk lower than usual at around 7-8. This is why it is so important to read, read and then read some more before jumping into something like this.
I am not saying that that is what is wrong, but it may be a contributing factor. By looking at Miwoodar's above pic I would say that monti's are not usually effected the way you are describing. Sorry to hear about you're losses. Will you be able to save any of them?

Spleify

-EDIT- Not that an alk of 7-8 is low, just on the lower scale of normal.

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2008, 08:54 PM   #27
TomRep
Registered Member

No, actually I like to keep it around 10. When I saw the problem with my Superman, I checked it and realized it had slipped down to about 7. I wanted to slowly bring it back up, and somehow miscalculated and brought it up quicker then I wanted. The reason I switched to the vodka method is I was using Prodibio and saw 0 results for too much $$. I read in the vodka thread that basically all Prodibio was was a carbon source and bacteria and I could pretty much do the same thing via vodka dosing. Am I way off base and misunderstood this?
tom

Current Tank Info: 50 breeder w/o sump mixed reef, sps dominant. NEP T5 fixture with no stock bulbs, Bermuda Rogue HOB skimmer, canister filter, DIY hang on fuge, 2x modded MJ400's, Tunze Osmolator ATO, Randy's 2 part dosed with and Aquamedic twin
TomRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2008, 10:02 PM   #28
spleify
Registered Member

From the articles I have read it was my understanding that it was suggested to keep your alk on the lower end, 7-8, rather than the higher end, 10-11.
I have read a few of these threads but I believe this is the one that I am extracting this info from. If I remember correctly it is about 1/2-3/4 of the way through it.

I hope this helps, and I hope you will be able to save your effected animals.

Spleify

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
Unread 07/07/2008, 10:18 PM   #29
TomRep
Registered Member

Thanks bud! I stopped dosing for the past two days now. I plan to let things get back to normal and start again taking notes and baby steps the whole way. Basically, even though I THOUGHT I was going slow, I really wasn't. I believe this is my problem. Thanks again!
tom

Current Tank Info: 50 breeder w/o sump mixed reef, sps dominant. NEP T5 fixture with no stock bulbs, Bermuda Rogue HOB skimmer, canister filter, DIY hang on fuge, 2x modded MJ400's, Tunze Osmolator ATO, Randy's 2 part dosed with and Aquamedic twin
TomRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2008, 10:22 PM   #30
spleify
Registered Member

You're very welcome. Good luck!!

Spleify

Unread 07/09/2008, 06:58 PM   #31
wiso reef
Registered Member

Hi miwoodar how is you recipe wath cuantity of each components.nice colors are there!

wiso reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2008, 08:16 PM   #32
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

I'm not the expert on this stuff but, IMO, I would just go with Glassbox's VSV recipe linked on the first page of the thread. As far as dosing goes, I would go a lot slower than you often read in the threads (nothing to lose by going slow). I would start off at 0.25 mL/day for any tank and bump it by 0.25 every two weeks watching for nitrate and phosphate (if can actually test for it) reductions. Beyond that, I would watch the tank really closely. Watch for lightening/brightening of your SPS as a good sign. Watch for tannish bacterial growth on the surfaces or whitish cloudy water-borne blooms as signs of overdosing. Lastly, I would recommend watching your corals very closely for signs of adverse effects. If anything appears amiss, pause for a few weeks and begin again - you don't get to pick which bacterias flourish and you might end up in a situation in which a coral is trying to fight something that it is not able to beat at that particular point in time.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Current Tank Info: 140 DIY Cube
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2008, 04:52 AM   #33
wiso reef
Registered Member

Thanks miwoodar!are this is wath you mix 5ml vodka,1tspnsugar,5mlvinager,15mlRO water.and doing 1ml a day?

wiso reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2008, 06:57 AM   #34
fatrip
Yup That Stuff

Hey guys i have been looking into this and i was wondering which Prodibio product to use the bio digest or bio digest pro as well as is there a fresh and a salt or are they for both? Also where can you purchase this product? thanks

"We learn from history that we never learn anything from history." Hegel
fatrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2008, 11:22 PM   #35
danfrith
Registered Member

Anymore pics?

danfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2008, 07:25 AM   #36
jaugermeister
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TomRep
No, actually I like to keep it around 10. When I saw the problem with my Superman, I checked it and realized it had slipped down to about 7. I wanted to slowly bring it back up, and somehow miscalculated and brought it up quicker then I wanted. The reason I switched to the vodka method is I was using Prodibio and saw 0 results for too much $$. I read in the vodka thread that basically all Prodibio was was a carbon source and bacteria and I could pretty much do the same thing via vodka dosing. Am I way off base and misunderstood this?
tom
Tom, I would stay the course your on... from all the reading up I have done on the concept of Vodka dosing says it is reccomended to lower your ALK to NSW levels due to "some" people experiencing burnt grow tips on their SPS corals. I have been running my alk around 9-10 for quite some time now and have yet to experience burn grow tips. I say keep with what your doing but adjust to your corals behavior.

$.02

Current Tank Info: multiple frag systems
jaugermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2008, 12:28 AM   #37
shenyong
Registered Member

hey Mike! Do u mind if i'm asking your vodka dosing recipe? and how much are u dosing /day? do u dose AA as well?
Appreciate for answering :-)

Thank!

Current Tank Info: 180G mix reefs, 40g sps coming soon
shenyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2008, 04:11 AM   #38
conorwynne
Registered Member

I noticed a couple of my acros starting looking dodgy after approx. one month of vodka dosing, all else looked great though.

I have stopped dosing it now, and although I get feck all skimmate in comparison (no skimmer adjustments made), I now seem to have more macro growth. Could be imagining it though.

The "sick" acros are now recovering well, and all I did was stop dosing vodders.
Anyone else have this observation?

Regards
Conor.

Current Tank Info: New tank in progress....
conorwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2008, 11:01 AM   #39
Whalehead9
Registered Member

after a couple of months, I had the same problem in my 125 gal. I think that the system stops being carbon limited when NO3 and PO4 get low, and the bacteria start doing things they should not. I reduced dosing from 3ml a day to.5ml a day, and everything perked right back up. I would still use the vodka, but at a greatly reduced level.

Current Tank Info: 12 asst fw+sw tanks
Whalehead9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2008, 11:06 AM   #40
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Quote:
Originally posted by shenyong
hey Mike! Do u mind if i'm asking your vodka dosing recipe? and how much are u dosing /day? do u dose AA as well?
Appreciate for answering :-)

Thank!
I don't recall off the top of my head but I would like to say it is 15mL vodka, 15mL white vinegar, and a tablespoon of sugar.

On hiatus. I'm either out riding my bicycle, playing with my family, or throwing ferts in my planted tank. Or working. I hope I'm not doing that though.

Unread 10/22/2008, 02:17 AM   #41
shenyong
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miwoodar
I don't recall off the top of my head but I would like to say it is 15mL vodka, 15mL white vinegar, and a tablespoon of sugar.
thanks! how long have u been dosing?

Current Tank Info: 180G mix reefs, 40g sps coming soon
shenyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 09:34 AM   #42
AD87
Registered Member

miwoodar in the first pic of your tank that growth is crazy so it only took 3 months to get that growth??

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 10:51 AM   #43
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

Yup. Those were some very exciting months! I'm not having such good days right now unfortunately. I got some sort of ailment during my tank move and have been battling for the last two months. I'm off the VSV until things clear up.

Unread 10/30/2008, 01:07 PM   #44
AD87
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply I also noticed you were dosing VSV and amino acids and also some bacteria culture. What kind of Vinegar and do you know if ozone will counter act when I add amino acids and the VSV solution.

Also is there another product someone could add besides your homemade bacteria culture?

H Magnificia or bust.
AD87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 02:00 PM   #45
volcom69
Registered Member

Is vodka ok to use to get better color, i dont have much algea, but my colors are not that great, and i mean dose the vodka in very small amounts that is.

volcom69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 03:08 PM   #46
southstar066
Registered Member

i have a ?. do i need a doser to dose vodka or can i add it direct to the system...i have the 34g solana and would add it to the back filteration portion...any help?

southstar066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 03:25 PM   #47
miwoodar
Likey the bikey

White vinegar - the kind you can buy in the gallon jug (although you'll only need a cup or less even on the very largest of tanks). Be patient and take your time.

I can't comment definitively on the use of ozone. I wouldn't expect it to be a serious concern. Yes, it will kill bacteria but I doubt that it would cause a carbon dosing approach to fail.

Commercial product lines are out there. Zeovit, fauna marin, polyp labs, brightwells, and prodibio to name a few. The first two in the list incorporate zeolitic stones and claim the stones support a step in the process.

This should help...
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...nftt/index.php

Unread 10/30/2008, 03:29 PM   #48
southstar066
Registered Member

i have a ?. do i need a doser to dose vodka or can i add it direct to the system...i have the 34g solana and would add it to the back filteration portion...any help?

Unread 10/30/2008, 03:45 PM   #49
volcom69
Registered Member

I think i read somewhere on here that people do add it to there sump so i dont see why you cant add it to your 34g.

volcom69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2008, 04:05 PM   #50
southstar066
Registered Member

i want to try it but im afraid to mess up... im doing it to lower nutrients and get rid of a hair and red slime algae bloom