Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2014, 06:26 AM   #126
nexusnight
Registered Member

I have to laugh when the above comments are posted. There is enough information in this thread that the questions asked are all answered. Nothing commercially sold works but copper ie " cupramine " and with some success a couple other methods ie tank transfer and low salinity levels. Copper is the easiest method IMO. Treat ALL fish for 30 days and observe while leavening tank without fish for 9 weeks. Then treat all new fish to be added in qt for at least 30 days. Done

nexusnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2014, 04:57 AM   #127
snorvich
Team RC member

Lots of information can be found here. Questions on ich will be answered best in the Fish Disease forum. But tanks do not have to have ich, garlic does nothing for treating ich, fresh water dips do nothing for ich as it is embedded too deeply. Ich does not have to be visible in order to be present as it often first is found in the gills.

snorvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 09:21 AM   #128
fishy.22
Registered Member

Very cool thread, lots that I didn't know.
I've had the best success in the event of an outbreak to isolate the fish, lower the salinity to 1.02 for about a month and then raise it slowly back up to DT values.
The hardest thing is constantly worrying about your fishes.

fishy.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 12:45 PM   #129
Vakko
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusnight View Post
I have to laugh when the above comments are posted. There is enough information in this thread that the questions asked are all answered. Nothing commercially sold works but copper ie " cupramine " and with some success a couple other methods ie tank transfer and low salinity levels. Copper is the easiest method IMO. Treat ALL fish for 30 days and observe while leavening tank without fish for 9 weeks. Then treat all new fish to be added in qt for at least 30 days. Done
I've used No Ich from FishVet and Kick Ich from RubyReef with 100% success multiple times now.

Unless you are the one doing all the testing, I would hold off saying "nothing commercially sold works." People come here for advice and don't need absolutes from nay-sayers.

Vakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 11:31 AM   #130
Graffiti Reef
Registered Member

Any "reef safe" herbal junk is exactly that. Junk! I had an ich outbreak and tried to do everything in the book to avoid taking all my fish out and run the tank with no fish. I tried "reef safe" additives, diet supplements, uv filters, you name it. The ONLY thing that ended up working for me is qt fish for a 2 months which included using cupramine at the start and letting the tank run fallow. From that point every new tankmate ever added has been qt'd with cupramine and haven't seen ich since. You need to understand the nature of the organism in order to understand why "reef safe" stuff wont work on it.

Graffiti Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 03:33 AM   #131
toky916
Registered Member

I'm using CP and so far working really well !
There's an article on advanced aquarist the fish form seem to stressed out from it.

toky916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 09:25 PM   #132
scubadan206
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusnight View Post
Here Here.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2014, 07:03 AM   #133
anarchy02
Registered Member

I hate ich. Ended up killing my moorish idol after treating it for a month. The ocean doesnt use chemicals so why should we. Never good for the fish

anarchy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2014, 05:51 PM   #134
billsreef
10 & Over Club

A couple of things to keep in mind, the Ocean is not a small a glass box that is overcrowded. Fish in the Ocean carry parasites, fish in the Ocean also die.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2014, 04:24 PM   #135
xnetgeek
Registered Member

Time and garlic are your best friend.

xnetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2014, 05:29 PM   #136
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetgeek View Post
Time and garlic are your best friend.
and a coin to flip...

Unread 06/26/2014, 07:44 PM   #137
jrozzi
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakko View Post
i've used no ich from fishvet and kick ich from rubyreef with 100% success multiple times now.

Unless you are the one doing all the testing, i would hold off saying "nothing commercially sold works." people come here for advice and don't need absolutes from nay-sayers.
+1

jrozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2014, 07:46 PM   #138
jrozzi
Moved On

I read ONLINE in an article called facts about ich that If no new MI is introduce into an infected aquarium, the MI already there continues to cycle through multiple generations until about 10 to 11 months when the MI has ‘worn itself out’ and becomes less infective. A tank can be free of an MI infestation if it is never exposed to new MI parasites for over 11 months. I assume they mean not taking fish out, and just managing ich for that long. Anyone ever heard of this ?

Unread 07/06/2014, 06:28 PM   #139
rEeFnWrX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrozzi View Post
I read ONLINE in an article called facts about ich that If no new MI is introduce into an infected aquarium, the MI already there continues to cycle through multiple generations until about 10 to 11 months when the MI has ‘worn itself out’ and becomes less infective. A tank can be free of an MI infestation if it is never exposed to new MI parasites for over 11 months. I assume they mean not taking fish out, and just managing ich for that long. Anyone ever heard of this ?

Never heard of that... Would be interesting if it was true!

rEeFnWrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 06:34 PM   #140
jeffberg1941
Registered Member

my tank has been fallow for 1 week. fish are qt. how can i be sure the ich is gone.are there any signs ? today i noticed some white specs on the water's surface. is there a link?

jeffberg1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 06:43 PM   #141
jrozzi
Moved On

theres only one way to be sure and that's to stay fallow for the time frame stated in the sticky I think its like 10 weeks.

Unread 08/03/2014, 08:08 AM   #142
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrozzi View Post
I read that awhile ago, have no idea if it's true. I suppose it's possible but I have my doubts.

Unread 08/07/2014, 02:38 PM   #143
wrasse warlord
Registered Member

I had a severe ich outbreak when my 55 gallon was just started up I had a lemon damsel and didn't know that they are very territorial so he attacked my coral beauty and killed while also giving it ich before it died the rich quickly spread to the puffer, clown, engineer goby and the other damsel. I put the fish in quarantine and put copper in the water. The puffer and clown had it the worst and didn't make it through the night but the other fish were fine and all is well. I've had to treat a few other fish and they are alive and healthy.

wrasse warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 08:19 PM   #144
Bivs516
Registered Member

Ich treatment

I had a bout with ich and my blue tang and I did a bunch of research and ended up finding reefergil's video on how he battled ich in his display tank. I followed his regiment and also added a UV sterilizer....30 days later ich was gone and haven't had it back yet for about 7 months... I do suggest you check out his video here.

http://youtu.be/ws0QPkEJdWE

Current Tank Info: 55 gal
Bivs516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 09:08 PM   #145
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Sometimes you (really the fish) just get plain lucky...which is all that can be expected from any so called "reef safe" remedies.

Unread 08/17/2014, 09:07 PM   #146
Arrgh
Moved On

I have a question about Ich. (I think I might have some staring, but not necessarily related to my question.)

The two schools of thought is that Ich is always present and that Ich has a life cycle that can be broken.

I tend to agree with the ladder (Optimistically).

However sometimes you hear of a fish having a immunity to it, or rather being healthy enough to fight it.
If that is the case could Ich not in fact stay present in a system indefinitely with a fish that is healthy enough to host it? (Perhaps perpetuating the myth that it is always present?)

Arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2014, 05:07 AM   #147
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
I have a question about Ich. (I think I might have some staring, but not necessarily related to my question.)

The two schools of thought is that Ich is always present and that Ich has a life cycle that can be broken.

I tend to agree with the ladder (Optimistically).
Ich having life cycle that can be easily broken is scientifically proven However, that does require time and effort on the part of the aquarist.

Quote:
However sometimes you hear of a fish having a immunity to it, or rather being healthy enough to fight it.
Yes, sub lethal exposure can allow a fish to acquire a limited immunity...only to the particular strain it's been exposed to, and the immunity is lost after awhile with no further exposure to that strain. One must always remember that ich in our little glass box fish houses is much like letting the fox loose in the hen house...it's all to easy for the ich populations to grow to fast and infect the fish to the point of no return before that immunity is acquired. Also a fish that has built a that temporary immunity to that single strain will not have any immunity a new strain that might be introduced.

Quote:
If that is the case could Ich not in fact stay present in a system indefinitely with a fish that is healthy enough to host it? (Perhaps perpetuating the myth that it is always present?)
Yes. While efforts at lab rearing single strains have proven that reproduction of a single strain will not allow that strain to reproduce after several generations (11 off the top of my head, with only half a cup of coffee), there is no lab work I know of with multiple strains. Considering fish brought in from the wild are likely to be carrying multiple strains on any given fish, fish from different locations are almost certain to be carrying different strains, it's reasonable to assume that we can expect enough genetic diversity in the ich resident in a given tank for that ich population to remain quite viable for a considerable time.

Unread 08/18/2014, 04:38 PM   #148
Arrgh
Moved On

Thank you.

Arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2014, 01:17 AM   #149
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

One study suggested 11months witout sexual reproduction for the strain studied. Others say longer as much as two years. Of course if you leave th tank fishless, it dies within a day after"hatching" but the lcysts themselves have remained viable for as long as 72 days in cooler water.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2014, 06:59 AM   #150
salty joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
but the lcysts themselves have remained viable for as long as 72 days in cooler water.
Do you know what temp that is?

More specifically, do you know what the ideal temp for ich reproduction is?