Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2014, 10:21 AM   #2051
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpaul79 View Post
My double cone 150 gave me problems getting it to run at a stable level. After a month, it started to run pretty well. After another month I gave it a maintenance cleaning to get the algae and coraline buildup off the inner walls. Now I'm stuck trying to tune this thing and my previous settings are not working. If I set the venturi to 4 turns, I'll overflow or get super wet skim even with the wedge wide open. I have to run it at 2 turns or less to get keep the thing from acting up with the wedge very wide open. And even at that, I don't get the fine micro bubbles, they collect and form giant bubbles all the way to the top which seems to hinder creating a good foam head. Not to say it wont create foam, it will, but doesn't seem to be running at its optimal performance. Here is a video of it running.

You can see the very large bubbles, like the size of a thumbnail. I have not cleaned the skimmer for at least 30 days so its had plenty of time to break in again. I have it at 7", where the silicon tube coming from the wedge pipe is just underwater. I have a 140G display with 40G breeder for a sump. What am I doing wrong?

I am having similar issues with mine. Does yours seem to surge? I have contacted Royal Exclusiv about this a few times and have heard nothing from them.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 01:36 PM   #2052
vpaul79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
I am having similar issues with mine. Does yours seem to surge? I have contacted Royal Exclusiv about this a few times and have heard nothing from them.
Raise the skimmer up. Mine was within the recommended depth range, but on the deeper side of it, like 7.5". I raised it up to just under 7" and this made a HUGE difference. No more big bubbles, in fact the opposite now, tiny frothing bubbles all the way up. The silicon tube coming out the wedge is barely out of the water to give you an idea.

vpaul79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 05:46 PM   #2053
GQuinn
Registered Member

Mine is at 7 inch water level. Is yours less than that?

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 06:23 PM   #2054
vpaul79
Registered Member

Quote:
Its a little less than that, like I said the silicon tube coming out of the wedge is barely touching the water where the tube and wedge intersect. The recommended water level range is 150mm to 200mm or 5.9" to 7.9", so you got room to raise it up another half inch easily. I had to close the wedge almost 90% to raise the air/water mixture, but its working well. I'm skimming less, but its also a much dryer skimmate. Your tank's salinity and parameters are different so I don't think matching height is the answer, but I'd try raising it a little bit at a time until you see the skimming action improve.

Unread 10/23/2014, 10:17 PM   #2055
vpaul79
Registered Member

Quote:
I just got home and measured, its at exactly 6.5"

Unread 10/24/2014, 12:02 PM   #2056
fatboy40
Registered Member

bubble king mini 160

just picked up a new bk 160 and trying to find out what water level is good for it ? any info is greatly appreciated

fatboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2014, 08:04 AM   #2057
Mr. House
Registered Member

Hi lads,

Would you help me to choose between SM250 and Deluxe 250, both RD3 speedy.

I want a better performing skimmer. SM pulls more air but I read that Deluxe skimms better because it's taller.

I also heard that SM is made of cheaper materials.
Deluxe is described as easier to tune.
Are there any problems with tuning SM?

Thanks

Unread 10/26/2014, 09:58 AM   #2058
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. House View Post
Hi lads,

Would you help me to choose between SM250 and Deluxe 250, both RD3 speedy.

I want a better performing skimmer. SM pulls more air but I read that Deluxe skimms better because it's taller.

I also heard that SM is made of cheaper materials.
Deluxe is described as easier to tune.
Are there any problems with tuning SM?

Thanks
I think the SM is a better skimmer overall. I can't speak of the material difference between the two but the SM is probably about the most coveted BK skimmer of all of them and the material quality is better than any skimmer I've seen. You certainly won't be disappointed there. That was my first choice and that is the same model I chose and I love it. The SM250 with the RD3 is about as good as you are going to get. Then again you can't go wrong with either.

That said, how big is your display and what is your fish load? You really don't want to oversize these skimmers as they are really underrated as far as their capabilities go.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2014, 02:21 PM   #2059
kris101
Registered Member

SM 200 Tuning help please

I just got my SM 200 last week and is running on a 300 DD. It started collecting right away even with the pipe wide open. I am trying to find the sweat spot.

It is setting in 7.5" of water. The speedy 1500 is running %100

Right now the larger bubbles are just below the neck. Should the transition from fine bubbles to larger be more in the neck? the water level is above the weld line. Any help is appreciated

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 155 48x30x24 in progress
kris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2014, 02:35 PM   #2060
Boa1277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I think the SM is a better skimmer overall. I can't speak of the material difference between the two but the SM is probably about the most coveted BK skimmer of all of them and the material quality is better than any skimmer I've seen. You certainly won't be disappointed there. That was my first choice and that is the same model I chose and I love it. The SM250 with the RD3 is about as good as you are going to get. Then again you can't go wrong with either.

That said, how big is your display and what is your fish load? You really don't want to oversize these skimmers as they are really underrated as far as their capabilities go.
This is a interesting statement after speaking to Klause at Macna he said that only in the US is the SM line more popular.....he said they sell many more Double Cones in Europe and they sell more Deluxe in Asia.

Boa1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2014, 06:55 PM   #2061
ksed
Registered Member

The difference is that the double cones and DeLuxe are slightly more forgiving, when water chemistry changes.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 10:53 PM   #2062
vpaul79
Registered Member

Quote:
Its a little less than that, like I said the silicon tube coming out of the wedge is barely touching the water where the tube and wedge intersect. The recommended water level range is 150mm to 200mm or 5.9" to 7.9", so you got room to raise it up another half inch easily. I had to close the wedge almost 90% to raise the air/water mixture, but its working well. I'm skimming less, but its also a much dryer skimmate. Your tank's salinity and parameters are different so I don't think matching height is the answer, but I'd try raising it a little bit at a time until you see the skimming action improve.
I spoke too soon, a week later the giant bubbles returned, even with raising it up. I have to clean the skimmer to get to run like the image kris101 posted. Seems like I can run it well for about 3-4 weeks getting a dryer skim before it goes crazy and either overflows or skims very wet.

Unread 10/30/2014, 10:24 AM   #2063
ekovalsky
Premium Member

So, I'm considering the various 10" internal BK models, among other skimmers, for my system upgrade.

The Double Cone 250 rating was considerably lower than the Super Marine 250 or Deluxe 250 (internal models), but I think this goes back to when it came with a smaller pump. Now that it is available with the RD3 Speedy 50w, is there really much of a difference ? Water processed - which at full power is listed at 4,000 lph with this pump - is the same. I realize there is a difference in contact area with the Double Cone 250 at the smaller end of the spectrum with its wine bottom configuration, but this shouldn't dramatically alter the efficiency. And there is a rather dramatic difference in price between in and the others i.e. $700-800.

My new tank will have just under 400g in the display itself, and another 100-150g between overflow, sump, and refugium (for pods). I think a 10" skimmer processing about 1,100 gph / 4000 kph should be about the right size, anticipating a moderate bio load once mature; this will be stocked similarly to my current 235g setup - pic below - but spread out over a tank twice as deep and slightly taller... Skimmer was a Deltec AP902, which broke and was replaced with a second hand AP1003. I'm wanting something more quiet and efficient that will fit under the stand.

ekovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2014, 02:32 PM   #2064
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekovalsky View Post
So, I'm considering the various 10" internal BK models, among other skimmers, for my system upgrade.

The Double Cone 250 rating was considerably lower than the Super Marine 250 or Deluxe 250 (internal models), but I think this goes back to when it came with a smaller pump. Now that it is available with the RD3 Speedy 50w, is there really much of a difference ? Water processed - which at full power is listed at 4,000 lph with this pump - is the same. I realize there is a difference in contact area with the Double Cone 250 at the smaller end of the spectrum with its wine bottom configuration, but this shouldn't dramatically alter the efficiency. And there is a rather dramatic difference in price between in and the others i.e. $700-800.

My new tank will have just under 400g in the display itself, and another 100-150g between overflow, sump, and refugium (for pods). I think a 10" skimmer processing about 1,100 gph / 4000 kph should be about the right size, anticipating a moderate bio load once mature; this will be stocked similarly to my current 235g setup - pic below - but spread out over a tank twice as deep and slightly taller... Skimmer was a Deltec AP902, which broke and was replaced with a second hand AP1003. I'm wanting something more quiet and efficient that will fit under the stand.

IMO, No way a couble cone 250 would work with a 400g tank stocked like that one above. I have that skimmer on my medium load 250g, and I think it's sized correctly. I was even considering looking into a larger ATB model. Just scared with the DC pump issues I've read in this thread. I honestly would stick with an Askoll based skimmer over the DC pumps. I can't even run my DC250 at 50w, it won't skim correctly. It took me forever to tune the skimmer, because I had the DC pump at 50w. Once I turned it down to like 43w, it started skimming correctly. Idk, but IMO U shouldn't have to adjust ur skimmer pump. It should come sized correctly to ur skimmer size. Plug it in, tune it, and then clean it...that's it. took me a month to find the sweet spot on my skimmer.

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2014, 07:48 PM   #2065
jthao
Super Saiyan

I completely agree with schnitzel. My sm200 with the right red dragon 1500 performs perfect. And I don't ever really see having to adjust the speed of my skimmer pump. It's either off or on. I don't do much adjustment of my skimmer at all, it's plug and play. Also, keep in mind, these pumps if it ever should go out, I can grab a Laguna block real fast from my lfs and my skimmer is going again while I wait for the red dragon block. I've never had to replace a block (knock on wood) for either my sm200 or my red dragon return. But I'm sure a Laguna would suffice if I ever should need it.
The dc pumps look nice, but I don't think I'd ever "upgrade" my pump to that one cuss I think mines works perfect as is. And one day if ever either my block goes out, I'd rather just grab another askoll/Laguna/red dragon block and throw my volute and impeller on it.
Besides, it's not like my askoll based red dragons suck a lot of juice and the dc one saves me lots of money, they're about the same. Both my red dragon pumps are under or around 50w.

Unread 10/30/2014, 07:56 PM   #2066
jthao
Super Saiyan

Eko: I don't think a 250 anything will be good for a 400g+ sump tank. Id get at least a supermarine 300 or deluxe 300.
Fwiw: I use a sm200 on my 200g dt. And I think it's perfect. Id push it with a 300g tank, but thats about it, even then, I'd be inclined to go with at least a sm250.
If I had the money, I'd get a 400 for my 560g fowlr

Unread 10/30/2014, 09:49 PM   #2067
acesq
Registered Member

I'm using an SD 250 on my 400 total volume system and I thinks it's handling it quite well. I have no measurable nitrates and very low phosphates. I can't yet say whether it will handle the system when it is fully stocked, but it seems to have plenty of headroom left. That said, if money is no object, you can't go wrong with an SM300.

Unread 10/30/2014, 11:14 PM   #2068
acesq
Registered Member

My post above should read "SM250" not SD 250.

Unread 10/31/2014, 07:42 PM   #2069
BrettH
Registered Member

Supermarin 200 Pump Failure (red dragon 1500)

Let me start by saying I love my SM 200. It has run flawlessly for 2 years, fantastic skimmer. However after cleaning the pump today and reassembling, the pump is not working properly. Everything is in great shape. I am fairly confident I reassembled it correctly since I have done it before with no issues (and I have triple checked the reassembly and cross referenced every possible problem with Red Dragon manual - bearing seated correctly, gaskets in place, screws not over tighten, impeller rotates freely, Riser tube/Air intake is not clogged, no calcium build up, etc.

I have no clue why all of a sudden I am having this problem. Any thoughts from other SM 200/Red Dragon 1500 pump users?

I called premium aquatics (where I bought it) to see if they can help me (Jeremy is gone!) and they basically can't help. Michelle at PA tried, but she passed me onto Royal-Exclusiv in Florida. I was then told by Matias they need to send an email to Germany to get me help!!!??? So why are they here??

Very dis-appointed with both PA and Royal Exclusiv's initial response. We will see what the future brings. I will remain optimistic for now.

brett

Current Tank Info: Custom 240 starphire peninsula tank, 60 gal sump, BK 200 Super Marin, GEO 818 w/ AP electronic regulator, Radions, Apex controller. 40 gallon fuge, 40 gallon QT with 20 gallon sump

Last edited by BrettH; 10/31/2014 at 08:06 PM.
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 08:10 PM   #2070
sreefs
Registered Member

What is the pump doing?
Did it have calcium built up before cleaning?

Current Tank Info: 225 Coast To Coast SPS reef. T5 lighting
sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2014, 05:37 AM   #2071
BrettH
Registered Member

Hi Pat...It had very little calcium build up. The pump still runs, but the flow is really low. It is barely enough to suck any air through the venturi. It is really odd how it runs, but at it's normal speed? If I remove the air intake, the flow increases significantly, as it should. Venturi hole and air line that feeds is clear, nothing blocking it.

Can anyone suggest some alternative pumps until I get this resolved? Maybe a link? Thanks.

Brett

Current Tank Info: Custom 240 starphire peninsula tank, 60 gal sump, BK 200 Super Marin, GEO 818 w/ AP electronic regulator, Radions, Apex controller. 40 gallon fuge, 40 gallon QT with 20 gallon sump
Unread 11/01/2014, 11:36 AM   #2072
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettH View Post
Hi Pat...It had very little calcium build up. The pump still runs, but the flow is really low. It is barely enough to suck any air through the venturi. It is really odd how it runs, but at it's normal speed? If I remove the air intake, the flow increases significantly, as it should. Venturi hole and air line that feeds is clear, nothing blocking it.

Can anyone suggest some alternative pumps until I get this resolved? Maybe a link? Thanks.

Brett
Sounds to me like you may have changed the adjustment of the volute. On the pumps inlet, you have a red threaded fitting that adjusts the air to water ratio. If it's adjusted all the way in, there is less water going thru the pump and in turn, less air. If it's adjusted too far out, you have less air and more water.. I'd double check that and start there. You should have it set to around 1 to 1.5 turns out as a starting point.

If you verify that and that's not the issue, then I'd pull the pump apart and make sure the magnet isn't spinning on the impeller shaft. The magnet should not spin on the shaft at all. The magnet is bonded to the shaft and any slippage will inhibit the pump from producing proper flow.

If it doesn't spin on the shaft, the next thing I would do is verify that the impeller spins freely in the pump body. I know you said it spins free but did you verify this with the volute on as well? If not, with the pump assembled, use a thin screw driver to reach in through the pumps intake (you may need to remove the adjustable intake and verify that the impeller still rotates freely with the pump assembled. If it doesn't then the impeller isn't seated all the way into the bushing or the bushing is all the way seated into the motor block thus causing the impeller to sit to far up in the motor body which then causes it to bind with volute.

One other thing to double check is the silencer. There is a foam filter in the silencer. You can open the silencer up and check to see if the filter is really dirty or if there is water in there. Either could inhibit air flow. The foam filter can be washed.

Once you have gone through the steps I suggested, please report back.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 11/01/2014 at 11:43 AM.
Unread 11/01/2014, 01:53 PM   #2073
sreefs
Registered Member

The foam inside the silencer get all crusty over time, remove the top to get at it use a single blade razor and score around the top cap, then use a screw driver to remove the cap. You can run it without the silencer sponge if you want. If you take the silencer off and run the skimmer to see if it goes back to normal, this will tell you if the silencer sponge is clogged. A lot of great ideas from Scott.
Pat

Current Tank Info: 225 Coast To Coast SPS reef. T5 lighting
sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2014, 10:57 AM   #2074
BrettH
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds to me like you may have changed the adjustment of the volute. On the pumps inlet, you have a red threaded fitting that adjusts the air to water ratio. If it's adjusted all the way in, there is less water going thru the pump and in turn, less air. If it's adjusted too far out, you have less air and more water.. I'd double check that and start there. You should have it set to around 1 to 1.5 turns out as a starting point. .

Not the issue, I already checked the volute adjustment.

Quote:
If you verify that and that's not the issue, then I'd pull the pump apart and make sure the magnet isn't spinning on the impeller shaft. The magnet should not spin on the shaft at all. The magnet is bonded to the shaft and any slippage will inhibit the pump from producing proper flow.

If it doesn't spin on the shaft, the next thing I would do is verify that the impeller spins freely in the pump body. I know you said it spins free but did you verify this with the volute on as well? If not, with the pump assembled, use a thin screw driver to reach in through the pumps intake (you may need to remove the adjustable intake and verify that the impeller still rotates freely with the pump assembled. If it doesn't then the impeller isn't seated all the way into the bushing or the bushing is all the way seated into the motor block thus causing the impeller to sit to far up in the motor body which then causes it to bind with volute.
It spins freely on the shaft and the magnet is still bonded to it, already checked multiple times.

It is very difficult to check that the impeller rotates freely in the pump body because when it is in the body, the magnet stops it from freely spinning. It does rotate and the volute is not causing it to bind, nor is the impeller housing which I have adjusted several times to see if that is the issue.

Quote:
One other thing to double check is the silencer. There is a foam filter in the silencer. You can open the silencer up and check to see if the filter is really dirty or if there is water in there. Either could inhibit air flow. The foam filter can be washed.
I checked this and have been testing it without the silencer.

When properly adjusted and setup, it seems like the pump is not pumping enough water into the skimmer. When I take off the volute, it pumps a ton of water. And even when I adjust the volute wide open, water flow increases.

I can try and take a video and post it.

Thanks for the thoughts Slief.

Unread 11/02/2014, 11:41 AM   #2075
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettH View Post
It spins freely on the shaft and the magnet is still bonded to it, already checked multiple times.
Are you saying the magnet spins freely on the impeller shaft?? If so, that's not good.. The magnet should not spin on the shaft. I assume that was a typo or miscommunication...

Worse case, get yourself this pump. You can probably make an offer of $125 and get it for that.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laguna-Max-F...item5405d11e51

Open it up and inside is the same Askoll motor block that comes with your Red Dragon. Pull it apart and install your Red Dragon impeller and volute. Test it first and make sure it's producing bubbles as it should. If all appears to be good then clearly your RD motor block failed prematurely. Pry the base off your Red Dragon and glue it to your new Askoll block and you will be set. Those Red Dragons are usually very reliable... My Alpha 300 had two of them and with minimal maintenance, they lasted more than 3 years without skipping a beat before I upgraded to a Supermarin. I did however keep a spare motor block on hand just in case and it came from the same model pump in the link above.

If it proves not to be your motor block, you can always sell the Laguna pump/block for $150 here on the forum.