Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2016, 07:52 AM   #176
RVANANO
SWAGON

Looking fantastic, Dennis!

"Your opinion is appreciated. Unless it's stupid" -Me

Current Tank Info: "Nano" 300 peninsula reef in progress
RVANANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 08:17 AM   #177
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

The white item in the Baltic ad on the right side of the page looks better.

Unread 04/12/2016, 08:21 AM   #178
drummerboyevil
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Thanks!
I also may wrap the cord in some of this in gray to better blend.
Will be better than stark black.
http://www.amazon.com/TechFlex-F6N0-.../dp/B00RO8DGBQ
I was going to suggest this stuff. Somehow the texture of that wrap makes everything look like it's supposed to be there

drummerboyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 08:31 AM   #179
drauka99
Registered Member

As far as the chord goes, why not have a square tube of aluminum or steel made, painted to match the stand and then run the chord inside it, give the illusion of the light being supported by a bracket

"I sometimes enjoy watching shadow puppet shows" - jpfelix

"Bacon is Love." - Fat Man

Current Tank Info: 240 Algae Farm System Running
drauka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 08:39 AM   #180
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVANANO View Post
Looking fantastic, Dennis!
Thanks, Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
The white item in the Baltic ad on the right side of the page looks better.
The what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyevil View Post
I was going to suggest this stuff. Somehow the texture of that wrap makes everything look like it's supposed to be there
Yeah, that stuff is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drauka99 View Post
As far as the chord goes, why not have a square tube of aluminum or steel made, painted to match the stand and then run the chord inside it, give the illusion of the light being supported by a bracket
Interesting.
I can buy aluminum square bar at home depot.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2016, 10:30 AM   #181
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

http://www.amazon.com/Management-Adj...ams_ad_dp_ovrl

This----

Unread 04/12/2016, 10:44 AM   #182
dtum
Registered Member

Very happy for you. I hope that 5 years from now you will publish a book with sections on every one of the aquariums you have kept. Some of the text, photos and experience outlined there is pure gold.

Now stop doing whatever it is you are doing and get some water in it!

Unread 04/12/2016, 12:04 PM   #183
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Ah ok, i didn't see that.
I have used the TechFlex and it's really nice.
IMO, it looks a lot cleaner and than the thick neoprene stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtum View Post
Very happy for you. I hope that 5 years from now you will publish a book with sections on every one of the aquariums you have kept. Some of the text, photos and experience outlined there is pure gold.

Now stop doing whatever it is you are doing and get some water in it!
Ha! d2mini's reef build memoirs... I like it.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 04/14/2016, 06:39 AM   #184
d2mini
Registered Member

UPDATE 4-14-16

More goodies arrived from Aquarium Specialty.

MP40 QD

And Giesemann PowerChrome T5 bulbs.
The order you see from top to bottom is how I'm starting off in the fixture from front to back.
This may change and I might even end up swapping a bulb or two for something else.
But this should be a good starting point. I've always preferred more of a crisp white look.
The LEDs should help me tweak in more blue if I need it.

Unread 04/14/2016, 07:45 AM   #185
drummerboyevil
Registered Member

Interesting bulb choices, I'm excited to see the result. Have you thought about moving the tropic more toward the middle? Putting it right in front is going to be a pretty yellow/green initial cast don't you think?

Unread 04/14/2016, 07:59 AM   #186
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Interesting bulb choices, I'm excited to see the result. Have you thought about moving the tropic more toward the middle? Putting it right in front is going to be a pretty yellow/green initial cast don't you think?
Not sure, we'll see! Not expecting any green cast though. Just a bright/warm white from that bulb.
The empty tank looked nice lit up! But I'm sure that could change once a bunch of rock is in there.
I'll see if I can get a pic.
I still need to install the ATI software and program the light.

Unread 04/14/2016, 12:32 PM   #187
zzl630
Registered Member

Incredible photography skills

What's your plan for sump this time? Did you like your lifereef refugium?

zzl630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 01:42 PM   #188
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzl630 View Post
Incredible photography skills

What's your plan for sump this time? Did you like your lifereef refugium?
Thanks!
I liked the LR sump a lot.
For this build I needed a Triton specific sump and BAO was familiar with that, as well as how to get a high flow rate through the sump. Jeff is cool but it would have required too much hand holding and explaining why I wanted a high flow rate, drains into the fuge, etc.
And the shipping is a killer. I already had to deal with that on the Elos.

Unread 04/14/2016, 05:38 PM   #189
drummerboyevil
Registered Member

Dennis,
I wanted to ask why you chose to try the triton method. It seems that you've had amazing success without this additional cost. Are you just hoping to cut down on water changes?

Unread 04/14/2016, 06:16 PM   #190
tommyboynj
Registered Member

Quote:
Dennis,
I wanted to ask why you chose to try the triton method. It seems that you've had amazing success without this additional cost. Are you just hoping to cut down on water changes?
Was wondering the same thing.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

tommyboynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 06:20 PM   #191
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Dennis,
I chose it because it basically fell in line with my style of reefing. Simple and natural.

If you look at my previous build there are two things to note...

1. Large refugium. This thing kicked butt. Big bucket of chaeto every month and my nutrient levels were very low. Too low in fact. No gfo needed. I just ran some carbon.

2. Calcium Reactor instead of two part dosing. The initial reason i switched was two-fold. One, to save some cash long term. Two part was getting too expensive with the amount I was dosing. But second, it was a more natural way to provide my tank with the necessary elements and it provided other minor trace elements beyond the alk and calc.

Now lets look at the basics of Triton.

First, they strive to match NSW parameters. And not just the big 3.
I've never been a number chaser. I just want to be in range of NSW.

Two, they believe in natural filtration... a large refugium (and with more than just chaeto. The belief is that there are changes in the nutrients available to macros that vary over time. So there may be some excess of one that chaeto likes, and then later there is an excess of one that calupera likes, and so on.) This refugium should be at least 10% of the display volume, and the water drains directly into the fuge. No socks, which I'm all about. And hopefully no need for GFO. Just some carbon.

Now we come to three... the dosing.
It's different than the standard two-part. It's 4 parts, and it covers all major elements. The testing available to hobbyists has been pretty remedial. There is so much more involved than just the big 3 and this is why we do water changes, to replenish the minor trace elements. But we have no clue if we are replenishing enough, too much, etc. After running the tank for several years there is no telling how out of whack things may really be, and what that affects. Even Triton doesn't know the effects. But since they can now test for all those minor elements, we can at least make a much better attempt at correcting for it, and not just throwing new water in there all willy nilly, hoping for the best.

So beyond the 4 basic elements (that contain more than just calc, alk and mag), the minor stuff can be corrected if needed, but shouldn't be often. Ive seen some people dosing a couple more elements but it seems to be at a more minor level. Basically the bulk of the expense is in the 4-part solutions. These are concentrated so what seems like a high price should last a bit. And you are also saving on salt. I use AquaVitro Salinity (although I'm going to use Tropic Marin for this build since that's what they suggest) so that's a decent savings.

And finally, four... the Triton lab tests. At 50 bucks a pop, not cheap I agree. But it should come down to around 3 or so tests in the beginning as you get things dialed in. Once there, you continue to test the major stuff yourself like normal, and do the Triton test around 4x a year to make sure nothing is getting majorily out of whack. Or if you think something is going on that you can't explain.

Now of course this is all just from what I've researched on it and only time will tell how it works out for me. But to your initial question, I do not think it will be a major difference either way as far as cost is concerned, especially with the salt savings.

Unread 04/14/2016, 06:25 PM   #192
drummerboyevil
Registered Member

I appreciate the detailed response. This is going to be an amazing build to follow, not only because of your meticulous selection of equipment, but I really look forward to your results with with this method.

Unread 04/14/2016, 06:59 PM   #193
biecacka
Registered Member

Dennis do can you provide a link to what you've been reading on the triton method?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 08:27 PM   #194
foxt
Registered Member

I have learned a great deal from your previous build threads, both here and elsewhere, so I add my thanks and admiration for your efforts!

I still have a lot to learn (I have been away from the hobby for about 12 years, and the technology/science has moved forward). I've been doing my research for my own 220g build at some point in the future, and have read quite a bit about Triton, and the similar DSR method. From what I understood of your last build, it seemed as though you were sort of approximating these other methods already:

Quote:
First, they strive to match NSW parameters. And not just the big 3.
I've never been a number chaser. I just want to be in range of NSW.
Check - with your AWC method, is it fair to say that you were constantly dosing the tank with small amounts of an approximation of NSW?

Quote:
Two, they believe in natural filtration... a large refugium
That fantastic macro refugium you had going, along with your cheato, seemed to be very in-line with Triton?

Quote:
Now we come to three... the dosing ..... not just throwing new water in there all willy nilly, hoping for the best.
There doesn't seem to be anything willy nilly about any of your builds. Clearly what you had built in the past was supporting a thriving tank, something I want to emulate. And again, with your approach of very frequent small AWCs, weren't providing daily doses of NSW - or am I thinking of that the wrong way?

I don't intend to be argumentative about any of this at all, just trying to sort through which direction I'd want to go based upon your past experience and your thought process on this new one. Am I oversimplifying it by thinking that:

1. you're keeping the core elements of skimming and macro in the refugium (no difference there)
2. you're trading off steady daily schedule of small AWC and the calcium reactor for increased water quality monitoring and targeted dosing (sense and respond)?

If you were back on the last build, would you change?

As far as water testing, have you seen these?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2541190
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2537234
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558208

foxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2016, 09:10 PM   #195
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxt View Post
I have learned a great deal from your previous build threads, both here and elsewhere, so I add my thanks and admiration for your efforts!
Thank you!

Quote:
From what I understood of your last build, it seemed as though you were sort of approximating these other methods already:
In some ways, yes... which is kind of what I was saying earlier. There are big similarities between Triton's methods and my own personal practices. So it doesn't seem like a big leap.

Quote:
Check - with your AWC method, is it fair to say that you were constantly dosing the tank with small amounts of an approximation of NSW?
Yes, but was it enough? Were some things not being replenished enough? My tank was just a baby when I broke it down. What if it was 5 years old? 10 years old? Older?

Quote:
That fantastic macro refugium you had going, along with your cheato, seemed to be very in-line with Triton?
Exactly. Pretty much identical, except I only grew Chaeto and they recommend a variety of macros. Minor difference though.

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be anything willy nilly about any of your builds. Clearly what you had built in the past was supporting a thriving tank, something I want to emulate. And again, with your approach of very frequent small AWCs, weren't providing daily doses of NSW - or am I thinking of that the wrong way?
I appreciate that. Again, the tank was just a baby. Might have done great long term. No one knows. The tank wasn't free of issues, either. And coral growth and color was "ok". Some better than others. But definitely room for improvement.

Quote:
I don't intend to be argumentative about any of this at all, just trying to sort through which direction I'd want to go based upon your past experience and your thought process on this new one.
I totally get it. And I wish I could tell you which way to go. Unfortunately I'm in the dark almost as much as you and neither of us will know for quite some time.

Quote:
Am I oversimplifying it by thinking that:

1. you're keeping the core elements of skimming and macro in the refugium (no difference there)
2. you're trading off steady daily schedule of small AWC and the calcium reactor for increased water quality monitoring and targeted dosing (sense and respond)?
I wouldn't even say "increased" monitoring, but additional. In other words, my water will occasionally be tested for things I wasn't testing for before. AND... i'll be dosing things on a daily basis that I wasn't dosing before.

As for the AWC... it's a good theory and for a long time I've wondered how effective it really is. I mean, what I loved about it and the main reason I've always implemented it on my larger tanks is pure convenience. I hate doing water changes. This make sure they get done. And the bonus is that they get done in such small doses that it's much easier on the livestock. No worry about matching parameters, exposing coral or sponges to air, etc. But at 1 or even 2% daily??? I've always doubted whether that was doing much as far as replenishing trace elements are concerned. If I had unlimited funds, I would do nearly 100% daily. Just a constant flow of fresh saltwater in and fresh saltwater out, but obviously that's not practical.

Quote:
If you were back on the last build, would you change?
If that tank was still running? That's a great question and I'm not really sure. I see a NEW build like I'm doing now as a great time to start fresh and try something new. If the old tank was still running, I'd probably still be going. It was humming along ok and it was just starting to mature. The "Part II" rebuild I did took care of most of the things I wanted to change. Would I have tried Triton? I dunno. Maybe. It was my research for the new build that got me thinking about Triton in the first place. Without that, I probably wouldn't have given it much thought. I really don't think there was anything wrong with how I was running the last tank. But I'm curious and I don't mind experimenting with new stuff. Zeovith I never had interest in because of the expense and the regiment/dedication that was required. Too much time. I like to take a much more hands off approach to reefing, which is the whole basis behind my blog that used to be in my sig (and needs serious updating!) www.everydayreef.com. Zeo was too much. One of the draws for me to Triton is it seems pretty simple and once dialed in should be fairly hands off. So again, with the tank being brand new, I'm willing to give it a shot. Worst case scenario, I go back to running a calcium reactor and doing AWC. Not a big deal. I'll be setting this up for the AWC anyway since i may still have to do an occasional water change, and I need to run the ATO, so what's two more lines?

I have not but I'll take a look. Thanks!

Unread 04/15/2016, 10:02 AM   #196
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Dennis do can you provide a link to what you've been reading on the triton method?

Corey
Sorry Corey, just seeing this.
I don't have one specific link, but a lot of info was gleaned from the Triton sponsor forum on "the other reef forum".
Tim and the guys are good at answering questions, and there is also a link to "Triton Method for Dummies" that helps explain a lot.
There's some nice examples of Triton tanks there too.

Unread 04/15/2016, 05:41 PM   #197
biecacka
Registered Member

Cool. Thank's man, I can do the research from there.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2016, 08:41 PM   #198
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

I'll be very curious to see what you think of your 8-bulb ATI Powermodule. Just tonight I decided to dump the Radion over my 50g cube and go back to mercury vapor in the form of an 8-bulb dimmable Sunpower. I really liked the spectral and intensity change over the photoperiod, but I am very tired of losing acros. Weirdly, other SPS genera do just fine to the point of having to frag them to keep the growth under control.

I was really, really tempted to go with the Powermodule, but at roughly twice the cost, the old-school diodes in the LED array and the fact that this tank is soon to be a "flubber tank" as Matt (mhucasey) calls it, sent me back to just T5HOs.

Ironically, the new 92g build is going to be MH like your office tank. That is, if I can still get decent MH bulbs. Seems the manufacturers of these are dropping like flies....

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2016, 03:01 PM   #199
fftfk
Registered Member

d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Hi Dennis - I may have missed this but what are you doing for a dump? Another life reef system?

I had the same issue as you in terms of 30 inch life reef skimmer fitting in my stand. Jeff made me a shorter but larger diameter collection cup. It worked for me.

The only time I've had a problem with this setup is when I dropped the rubber o-ring into the body of the skimmer.

fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2016, 03:53 PM   #200
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftfk View Post
Hi Dennis - I may have missed this but what are you doing for a dump? Another life reef system?

I had the same issue as you in terms of 30 inch life reef skimmer fitting in my stand. Jeff made me a shorter but larger diameter collection cup. It worked for me.

The only time I've had a problem with this setup is when I dropped the rubber o-ring into the body of the skimmer.

Nice, that was a good idea.
I'm swapping to a 24" (plenty for this system) and a custom sump.