Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2019, 12:06 PM   #226
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Reefin View Post
This would make more sense if I had a filter before my sump.

The vermetids in the display tank are the filter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 12:40 PM   #227
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
I just may add a pump to my sump just to test this out. I would love to get rid of these things without tearing down the tank.
Not sure what the application would look like for low flow for removal.

I'm thinking about re-investigating fenbendazole so stay tuned.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Unread 02/20/2019, 12:59 PM   #228
King Reefin
Registered Member

I am not sure the nets are what we think they are. How long would it take after an increase in flow before I should see them show up? Or maybe I should move a rock with them on to the sump to see if they survive there?

King Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 01:43 PM   #229
Isayso
Registered Member

I had them grow on the intake pile whereas the water falls down to the sump , how in the hell can attach to that??

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Isayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2019, 06:14 AM   #230
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Do we know the life cycle?
I don't know how true it is, but I read an article that said the eggs hatch in the shell of an adult snail and crawl out from there to find a new place to attach.

Not sure if I believe that or not because that would suggest they would spread outward, and ive seen them pop up clear across the tank without showing up in the middle (6 foot tank).

I dont recall reading anything about how they reproduce or how often/ how long it takes.

Unread 02/21/2019, 06:19 AM   #231
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
I am not sure the nets are what we think they are. How long would it take after an increase in flow before I should see them show up? Or maybe I should move a rock with them on to the sump to see if they survive there?
Not sure what you mean by the nets may not be what we think they are.

And its hard to say. But what are you going to do if they do show up? You can't cut down on flow in your tank enough without it having catastrophic consequences for your corals.

Unread 02/21/2019, 12:24 PM   #232
King Reefin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
But what are you going to do if they do show up? You can't cut down on flow in your tank enough without it having catastrophic consequences for your corals.

Good point. And I don't think that would work anyway.

King Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2019, 09:48 PM   #233
Isayso
Registered Member

Fenbendazole what is it ?
Hope it works

Current Tank Info: Hardware: 125g Reef,Mak4 for return,DIY 20G sump,DIY Beckett Skimmer(AF30) driven by a Mak4,DIY S.Denitrator,DIY Calcium reactor(PM), wavemaker .MJ mods on Swirlestein,Jebao WP 20,Lighting: 60 LEDs, moon lights
Unread 02/22/2019, 12:50 AM   #234
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isayso View Post
Hope it works
Google fenbendazole use against hydroids. There is a big thread on it on the other forum where a couple users say they had success against vermetids with it all though that was not their goal. If you back to page 1 or 2 I tried it early on but may not have let it work at high enough concentrations for long enough. I have a few other application ideas I'll get into when I try it.

Unread 02/22/2019, 08:12 AM   #235
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Quote:
Hope it works

Nope. I’ve used fenbendazole about 5 times now trying to get rid of hydroids, vermetids didn’t miss a beat.

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Unread 02/22/2019, 08:32 AM   #236
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
Nope. I’ve used fenbendazole about 5 times now trying to get rid of hydroids, vermetids didn’t miss a beat.

I saw that you did in the other forum. I'd love to pick your brain about your application of it. I tried to get some info on the other forum with no response.

What was your source of fenbendazole?

Unread 02/22/2019, 03:09 PM   #237
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

I bought this:

Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole 250mg... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TAQ538...p_mob_ap_share

Unread 02/23/2019, 08:32 PM   #238
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterOfJustice View Post
I bought this:

Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole 250mg... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TAQ538...p_mob_ap_share

Thats what I thought. What was your max dose? Did your other snails die or where they affected at all? If you look at the earlier conversation in that thread, it looks like the OP made a mistake on dosing and actually dosed at 7.1 mg/gal. He did state that it knocked out all his vermetids.

A trend I noticed was that people towards the end were seeing both snails unaffected and issues with hydroids not dying completely.

The OP originally used safeguard 4. And separated out the granules. So I'm wondering if its something specific to that.

I'm honestly thinking of trying to not separate the granules and dose the complete mixture at the approproate quantities on a trial scale. Wondering if there is something in the powder that kills them.

Unread 02/23/2019, 09:05 PM   #239
Isayso
Registered Member

Set up a 5-10 gallons tank with some VS. And test it

Unread 02/23/2019, 09:06 PM   #240
Isayso
Registered Member

Sorry double post

Unread 02/23/2019, 09:29 PM   #241
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Set up a 5-10 gallons tank with some VS. And test it
That's the plan

Unread 02/24/2019, 07:42 AM   #242
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

This may well be "correlation without causation", but I thought I'd note this just in case someone else has a similar experience. I used to have these irritating buggers in my 50g reef. I think I've the type that don't reproduce all that fast because they don't seem to reach plague proportions, but I could nevertheless count 10 to 15 at any one time in my rock.

That changed when I brought home a pair of leopard wrasses about 2 years ago (in this case, ornate leopard wrasses - macropharyngodon ornatus). I never gave it much thought until I read through this thread last night, but the vermetid population in the tank crashed shortly after adding the wrasses. There are still a few in the sump and overflow, but zero in the tank itself.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2019, 09:17 AM   #243
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

My max dose was 2.8mg/gal. Right now I just finished dose 2 of a planned 3 doses 2 weeks apart at 2.6 mg/gal. This last time, I stirred up a bunch of detritus in the sump when I dosed, hoping maybe the vermetids would throw out their webs and accidentally catch some of the fenbendazole particulates as well.

I can’t really say on the snails, as I don’t keep any. That’s another one of my issues, I have some kind of opportunistically predatory whelk that reproduces and will kill any other snails I try to put in the system... I can say that this dose is enough to adversely affect starfish... they will either completely shut down and go dormant, or fall apart.

Unread 05/28/2019, 03:34 PM   #244
Isayso
Registered Member

Any positive feedback?

Unread 05/29/2019, 05:50 AM   #245
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Any positive feedback?
I tried the bumblebee snails... and they have been noticeably effective! There are several areas where I've noticed a massive difference pre- and post-snail addition. Even the small shells are gone. Only added a dozen so I think I'll get about 30 more of them and just give them some time. It seems they only go for the small ones but it's possible I just haven't noticed the larger ones being consumed. Regardless, the large vermetids are easy enough to manually remove.

So like I wrote earlier, had a friend with the same experience. I am confirming the same behavior from the bumblebee snails. They do work! Biological control, no need for chemicals, remove them if they become a problem for any other organisms (easy enough). Worth giving them a try and sharing your experience. Note: I added them about two months ago or more. So you have to be patient!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 06:13 AM   #246
skiwez
Registered Member

One thing that I've notice with my tank is that the vermatid snail population has stalled when I took my auto feeder offline. I have pellets in there and fed 2 times a day plus frozen food. Now that I'm no longer feeding pellets no new vermatids. Will only be putting it back online for extended absences.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

skiwez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 01:46 PM   #247
Isayso
Registered Member

Please keep us updated

Unread 05/30/2019, 03:47 PM   #248
gmneil
Registered Member

for what its worth, I had a tank 125gallon that was covered in them and they all disappeared within a month or two after I added a copperband butterfly to clean up a couple aptasia I had.

Current Tank Info: the keeper of clowns,, to many tanks to list
gmneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2019, 05:13 PM   #249
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I tried the bumblebee snails... and they have been noticeably effective! There are several areas where I've noticed a massive difference pre- and post-snail addition. Even the small shells are gone. Only added a dozen so I think I'll get about 30 more of them and just give them some time. It seems they only go for the small ones but it's possible I just haven't noticed the larger ones being consumed. Regardless, the large vermetids are easy enough to manually remove.

So like I wrote earlier, had a friend with the same experience. I am confirming the same behavior from the bumblebee snails. They do work! Biological control, no need for chemicals, remove them if they become a problem for any other organisms (easy enough). Worth giving them a try and sharing your experience. Note: I added them about two months ago or more. So you have to be patient!
Do the bumblebee snails go only after the vermetid snails or also after tubeworms and other snails? I would really hate if they kill all the tubeworms I have in my rocks and especially if they would go after my Christmas-tree worms. And I would also not appreciate if they decimate my Trochus and Stromatella snails.

There are actually a few snails that are specialized in going after the large vermetid snails: Muricid snails consume the vermetid gastropod, Dendropoma maximum, and use empty shells for reproduction
Though I doubt these are at this point readily found in the trade.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2019, 07:11 AM   #250
McPuff
Registered Member

I have not seen the bumblebee snails go after any other types of snails. They are MUCH smaller in my tank so I don't know if that matters or not. I assume they will go after some other fan worms, etc. Maybe not. I'll have to check those as I know I've got some patches of those tiny fan worms, etc.

The bumblebee snails are super slow. I rarely see them move at all. Guessing the larger snails would easily escape them or at least not get killed by them.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote