Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/13/2017, 11:15 AM   #1
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

Lowered lights by 3", PAR increased 100 in most area. That okay for acros?

I lowered my lights 3 inches, down to 6" to reduce light spill and have better coverage. I checked around 10 spots before and after for PAR change. I went from 350 to 450 in the upper, middle areas and the sides and bottoms increased around 50-80.

Is that too much of a jump to fast? All acros have been in the tank for many months, with only a stylo added in the last month.

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 01:52 PM   #2
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioheadx14 View Post
I lowered my lights 3 inches, down to 6" to reduce light spill and have better coverage. I checked around 10 spots before and after for PAR change. I went from 350 to 450 in the upper, middle areas and the sides and bottoms increased around 50-80.

Is that too much of a jump to fast? All acros have been in the tank for many months, with only a stylo added in the last month.
You are probably ok for par levels, long term but the sudden increase may be a shock, in the short term..
Why not reduce the duration of the lighting period by like half for a couple weeks and then start adding time back week by week..

Or bring the lights back up to where they were and lower the fixture an inch every two weeks until you get it back where you want it.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 01:58 PM   #3
sfdan
Registered Member

I did almost the exact same thing where I lowered my lights by about the same distance and had similar increases in PAR values. I did it it in 2 steps, one week apart. No issues. Light fixture is MH+T5, SPS filled tank.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Radioheadx14
Registered Member

i'll raise it to a 1.5" drop for a week or two, then drop it again. I'll probably be replacing the MH bulb soon too, so I will have to reacclimate them again.

Radioheadx14 is offline   Reply With Quote