Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2018, 07:25 AM   #1
evil nick
Registered Member

going to drill my 20 long

Im converting my 29 down to a 20 long and using the 29 as a sump (not the entire tank just about 1/2 to 2/3rds). My algae problem has gotten out of control and Im starting fresh.

Anyway I have never drilled a tank and though that doesnt worry me placement of the drains do.

First question is most people on another forum said to drill 2 drains. 1 main and 1 for redundancy if the first clogs. Im not sure the chances of that but Ill do it.
I picked up 2 1" bulkheads for the drains but one will only be used at a time.
The main outlet is this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I planned on placing that about 2/3 or half down the tank and using a stand pipe between the 90 and strainer to get the proper height (Im not sure if this should be 100% submerged or just at the top for surface skimming to sump). Can the main drain be 100% submerged?
The second drain would be drilled higher up and I would use a pvc 45 to act as a backup drain

I then bought these as returns, which will also double as circulators since my powerhead is a bit powerful for a 20 gallon tank. These are each 3/4, which the return pump would feed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I made this diagram in photoshop to sort of give an idea of what Im looking to do.

Behind the tank Im looking to vent each drain up for better drainage with a check valve on top

If anyone has input Id love to hear it so I can hopefully do this right the first time.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg drilled.jpg (41.4 KB, 50 views)
evil nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 08:57 AM   #2
jacksonpt
Registered Member

I'd suggest looking at something like the eshopps overflow boxes (or any of the nice 3-hole ghost styles, if they'll fit yoru setup) and run either a herbie or bean style drain system.

It'll look cleaner, work better, and be more reliable.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 09:45 AM   #3
evil nick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonpt View Post
I'd suggest looking at something like the eshopps overflow boxes (or any of the nice 3-hole ghost styles, if they'll fit yoru setup) and run either a herbie or bean style drain system.

It'll look cleaner, work better, and be more reliable.
I would prefer to not have an external overflow on the back and have as much space in the tank as possible so an overflow in side would take up to much room.

Im not quite positive how the bean style drain works. Is that the one with the upside down 90s? How does that sufficiently drain? I could use that system inside the tank itself as well correct?

Id prefer to honestly use the supplies I already picked up and keep my costs down a tad for now. Those overflow boxes are pretty bulky and can run upwards of over 100$

Would the pieces I have be usable, even though not top notch?

Unread 03/07/2018, 09:57 AM   #4
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Yep - you can certainly do/use what you have.

IMO - drill the holes at the same height. The line with the strainer guard on it, rotate so it bends down into the tank (the hole will be higher, remember). Put a gate valve on that drain line, and adjust it to run at full siphon handling 99.9% of your flow. The other hole/line, leave basically as you have it pictured (though a strainer/guard is probably a good idea). This will be your trickle/emergency line.

The end result will still be a herbie system, which is pretty tried and true.

The only issue with this will be that when your return pump is off, your tank will drain down to the strainer guard as the siphon will continue to run until it can't pull any more water. This is one of the pros of overflow boxes.

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 10:05 AM   #5
evil nick
Registered Member

Quote:

IMO - drill the holes at the same height. The line with the strainer guard on it, rotate so it bends down into the tank (the hole will be higher, remember). Put a gate valve on that drain line, and adjust it to run at full siphon handling 99.9% of your flow. The other hole/line, leave basically as you have it pictured (though a strainer/guard is probably a good idea). This will be your trickle/emergency line.

The only issue with this will be that when your return pump is off, your tank will drain down to the strainer guard as the siphon will continue to run until it can't pull any more water. This is one of the pros of overflow boxes.
So flipping the strainer upside down will still allow it to drain? Will the water flow up through the 90 via a siphon action?
I plan on screening the emergency OF as well, I just didnt bother putting it in the picture.

If I raise the strainer higher the siphon wont be as big an issue. My rememdy for a possible pump failure is the fact my 29 is going to be my sump. I will have more than enough room in there for the extra water to drain out without over flowing the sump (in theory).

I could flip the strainer upside down then move it up almost side by side with the emergency drain. Would that work as well being that the upside down 90 would drain first?

Thanks for the assistance.

Unread 03/07/2018, 10:05 AM   #6
evil nick
Registered Member

Quote:

sorry when typing my response I completely forgot you wrote to move them to the same height lol.

Unread 03/07/2018, 10:41 AM   #7
JTL
Registered Member

Are you sure the glass on that tank isn't tempered?

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 10:48 AM   #8
evil nick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
Are you sure the glass on that tank isn't tempered?
I have yet to test with 3d glasses (as thats the only way I have read to tell) but there are no markings on it saying it is and from what ive read most of the smaller tanks are not tempered.

Unread 03/08/2018, 11:18 AM   #9
evil nick
Registered Member

I havent drilled yet. Im still figuring where to put them. Right now Im leaning towards what JacksonPT suggested with both at the top. Im just concerned on how if placing the first covered overflow upside down the water will drain through it. I can see if a siphon will self start but is there any additional mechanism I need to add to create a siphon or just the gate valve. I will def post pics as I go through the process. Drilling wont start until (hopefully) this weekend. We just got a large storm so that throws my plans out of whack a bit.

Unread 03/08/2018, 11:27 AM   #10
evil nick
Registered Member

also would a ball valve work in place of a gate valve? I could order a gate valve but no big box around me would have a 1" PVC gate valve in stock, except maybe a plumb supply house and that would be hard to hit with my hours.