Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2019, 09:31 PM   #1
FireViper
Registered Member

UV Lights, Trying again with pics.

Posted earlier about uv lights and corals. New longwave LEDs seem to make corals explode with color. Attached are a couple of pics of corals with our daylight lamps, and with our daylight lamps plus a longwave LED kicker (365nm). Keep in mind, the longwave LED is shown though the glass and the water. Pretty amazing result. Photos below are with Longwave UV, then without.

Question is, are they safe for corals? I'd imaging midwave and short wave would be interesting as well.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC7882.jpg (93.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7881.jpg (91.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7884 (1).jpg (74.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC7883 (1).jpg (79.0 KB, 34 views)
FireViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2019, 07:31 AM   #2
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I actually just added some UV light to my tank yesterday evening as well! don't have any before/after pics to share yet though. I noticed a couple of my coral fluorese under the UV, but most don't show dramatic effects immediately. That was with all other lighting off so only had the effects of the added UV lighting.

I read coral react to UV light and produce more of their natural sunscreen to protect themselves from it, which happens to be the same stuff that makes them fluorese. Only things I've read though, so time will tell. I added about 40W of UV light to my 150 gallon, and am only running them for 2 hours a day to start. Not sure if I'll ramp that up at all or not. I'll go slow with any changes and see how the coral respond. I'm hoping they will color up more with the added spectrum. If not, than I'll likely end up removing the UV light if no positive effects can be seen.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2019, 11:36 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Unread 03/13/2019, 11:38 AM   #4
reefgeezer
Registered Member

What part of the spectrum is considered "Long Wave UV"? Photons below something like 400nm range to as low as 200nm are considered to be UV-A, but that's a broad range. Are we talking about the 375-400nm range that's really more violet? Or are are you using LEDs that put out photons lower in the spectrum like maybe those in a tanning bed?

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2019, 11:55 AM   #5
FireViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
A little light reading. Is there a Cliff Notes version!

Seems that the conclusion is that not a ton is known about the long term effects of UV on corals. However, findings do show that UVB (<330nm) is probably not great for them. UVA seems to be okay, and with corals that fluoresce, it may even be beneficial.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Unread 03/13/2019, 05:30 PM   #6
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireViper View Post
longwave LED kicker (365nm)
Where are you finding 365nm led ?...what brand diod ??

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2019, 05:34 PM   #7
FireViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
Where are you finding 365nm led ?...what brand diod ??
Using a filtered flashlight--the Convoy S2 UV. Nichia 365nm LED. Believe there is an LG version of the LED that's a little more powerful.

Unread 03/15/2019, 08:30 AM   #8
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Only been 3 days, but have been running 40W of UV light (370nm) over my 150 gallon tank for two hours a day, one hour mid day, and one hour around the time the main lights turn off. No negative effects that I can see yet. Nothing notably positive either, which is to be expected after just a few days.

Thanks for the attached article. Read through it a few times and am happy to find that the power I chose to run my UV light very closely matches what was measured as ambient UVR measured in the study. Being that my light is very diffused, it should be a good representation of what is natural. I plan to keep the lighting schedule I have of 2 hours a day for at least a few weeks and will decide later if I will keep increase the photoperiod of the UV light, or continue it's use.

For anyone interested, there is no visible difference in my particular coral's coloration when the UV lights are on during the day. When running only the UV light in a dark room, a few of my corals flourece slightly, with one acro being significantly brighter than the other corals, but still not bright compared to running actinic light. Because of this, I would not expect any significant change in visual coloration of the coral during the day. I'll be monitoring their color over time to see if there is a pigment shift that would indicate some change due to longer term UV exposure.

Unread 03/16/2019, 11:52 PM   #9
FireViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastator007 View Post
Only been 3 days, but have been running 40W of UV light (370nm) over my 150 gallon tank for two hours a day, one hour mid day, and one hour around the time the main lights turn off. No negative effects that I can see yet. Nothing notably positive either, which is to be expected after just a few days.

Thanks for the attached article. Read through it a few times and am happy to find that the power I chose to run my UV light very closely matches what was measured as ambient UVR measured in the study. Being that my light is very diffused, it should be a good representation of what is natural. I plan to keep the lighting schedule I have of 2 hours a day for at least a few weeks and will decide later if I will keep increase the photoperiod of the UV light, or continue it's use.

For anyone interested, there is no visible difference in my particular coral's coloration when the UV lights are on during the day. When running only the UV light in a dark room, a few of my corals flourece slightly, with one acro being significantly brighter than the other corals, but still not bright compared to running actinic light. Because of this, I would not expect any significant change in visual coloration of the coral during the day. I'll be monitoring their color over time to see if there is a pigment shift that would indicate some change due to longer term UV exposure.
What UV lights are you using? 40W of true longwave is pretty powerful and should give you some fluorescent response. Note the pics above, that was using a single 3 watt LED (may only be 1watt). Significant difference in coloration.

If you're using black light tubes, they're not even close to the power of the LEDs and the wattage is exaggerated.

As odd as they seem, these links will take you to some great info on UV lights:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fluorescentminerals/

https://www.naturesrainbows.com/fluo...mineral-lights

And a great system that might just be killer for corals. . . .ironically, the maker quit the marine hobby a couple of decades ago and switched to fluorescent rocks. Directions to build your own, or buy one from him. Seem them in action, incredible, though I've not tried one for a marine environment:
http://www.minershop.com/technology/...display-light/

Unread 03/18/2019, 08:19 AM   #10
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireViper View Post
What UV lights are you using? 40W of true longwave is pretty powerful and should give you some fluorescent response. Note the pics above, that was using a single 3 watt LED (may only be 1watt). Significant difference in coloration.

If you're using black light tubes, they're not even close to the power of the LEDs and the wattage is exaggerated.

As odd as they seem, these links will take you to some great info on UV lights:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fluorescentminerals/

https://www.naturesrainbows.com/fluo...mineral-lights

And a great system that might just be killer for corals. . . .ironically, the maker quit the marine hobby a couple of decades ago and switched to fluorescent rocks. Directions to build your own, or buy one from him. Seem them in action, incredible, though I've not tried one for a marine environment:
http://www.minershop.com/technology/...display-light/
Some enlightening reading, thanks for the links.

I am using BLB bulbs. I didn't even think about them being over rated, but thinking about it more now it makes sense. They likely filter out much of the light they produce with the 18W and only a small portion of it is actually UV. Perhaps with that I'll up the photoperiod to compensate. I'd be interested to see how a higher wattage of UV changed coral coloration over time, but not about to spend alot of money on UV light to try it right now. Though may be something I'd like to experiment with if I get a dedicated frag tank. Half of the tank lite up with normal lighting, the other half with the addition of UV. I did just order some new filters for my camera to get good pictures of my tank, so it could be easier to document progress

Unread 03/18/2019, 08:33 AM   #11
FireViper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastator007 View Post
Some enlightening reading, thanks for the links.

I am using BLB bulbs. I didn't even think about them being over rated, but thinking about it more now it makes sense. They likely filter out much of the light they produce with the 18W and only a small portion of it is actually UV. Perhaps with that I'll up the photoperiod to compensate. I'd be interested to see how a higher wattage of UV changed coral coloration over time, but not about to spend alot of money on UV light to try it right now. Though may be something I'd like to experiment with if I get a dedicated frag tank. Half of the tank lite up with normal lighting, the other half with the addition of UV. I did just order some new filters for my camera to get good pictures of my tank, so it could be easier to document progress
Having just started the marine hobby, UV lighting is about all I can contribute. It is truly amazing what these little LEDs can kick out--the comparison to tradition longwave UV bulbs, including BLBs is stunning. Give the guy at Minershop (Mark) a call, I'm sure he'd love to design a LED set up for the marine hobby.