Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/31/2014, 04:51 PM   #1
hansen992012
Registered Member

Clam Foot Missing?

Hey guys,

I am partially new to saltwater. I have had experience before with just fish and now have ventured back into saltwater and have started keep a mixed corals tank along with fish.

I was at MACNA yesterday and got a pretty clam from a guy and he assured me they are easier than people make them out to be. I have a Chinese LED that is dimmable, D2120 Evergrow light. I started the clam up top but with low light (dimmed low) and he has not opened up at all, in fact the mantle is pulled inside and the foot does not appear to be there.

At the show the clam was partially open and reacted when blocking the light, we could also see the foot. Now, like I said, his foot is not visibly flat on his shell. I have no idea what to do, I have been reading all day and no luck in searching for an answer. I moved him and a rock to the bottom of the tank in hopes that he will be happier and do something to reassure me of his life.

I have 2 clownfish, 3 cardinalfish, 2 blood red shrimp
torch coral, hammerhead coral, candy cane coral, pocillopora, war coral, clove coral all in a 46 gallon bow front. All corals are frags except the torches. I'm lost and would hate to have to be out 50 bucks for being talked into a clam I thought was easier. Maxima clam.

The guys also said to rock him back and forth when putting him in the tank to make sure no air bubbles are in him.

hansen992012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2014, 12:59 PM   #2
kfisc
Registered Member

Hello and welcome- You've come to the right place.

Unfortunately, you were "had" in the sense that clams are not really easy to keep, and it's too bad that kind of unscrupulous sale took place at MACNA. You might report the guy to the organizers, for whatever good it might do.

Still, you may not be out of luck. If there is not a hole or gap appearing where the foot was, it may still be able to attach. If there is a gap- i.e., you can see through it to the interior of the clam, it's lost the byssal gland and is in trouble.

it's also normal for them to take a day or two to acclimate to a new tank- and acclimating slowly is a whole other subject, and highly recommended.

Let it attach to something, higher-up the better. I don't know enough about your lighting to say if it is strong enough, but maxima clams are among the highest light requiring species. I have mine under a pair of 250 watt double-ended halides.

Also, in my experience, a tank really needs to be set up for at least a year before hosting a clam. There just seems to be something about the stability in all areas that kicks-in; I never had very good luck with trying them much sooner. Keep reading, and hope it makes it, but don't beat yourself up too much if it doesn't- we all have ups and downs, no matter how many years keeping tanks.

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2014, 07:46 AM   #3
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

two important questions are:

are you able to get any pictures?

typically in my experience my clams have acclimated fairly quickly to the new tank, however i always make sure i temperature and salinity acclimate before just dumping them in.

was anyone seen harassing it?

what is your alkalinity, salinity, temperature?

how does his shell growth look? that can be a good indicator of overall health:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2425057

here are a few good 101 threads on care and such:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2333627
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2403460
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2357396

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2014, 07:15 AM   #4
Stevenliu9
Registered Member

Yes, photos and more specs on the clam- species, size? Some clams wont fare well with damaged bissal, i have lost maximas due to it. Some other had lost, or damaged bissal but regrow them- one of my squamosas. They are easy- provided you have the right equipmenT, water Q, and tankmates, but its the combination of all three that maybe the difficult part. Check for predators or parasites- any angelfish bugging it? Any pyramid snail in the night?

Stevenliu9 is offline   Reply With Quote